Votes: 12 10.6%
  • What's a GSOH?

Votes: 28 24.8%

• Total voters

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Proverbs! Make your bleedin mind up!
Either 'Too many cooks spoil the broth' or 'Many hands make light work'.
Which is it?

"Absence makes the heart grow fonder" .... or "out of sight out of mind"?

As for "an eye for an eye'", I can see the logic behind forbidding any punishment that exceeds the severity of the crime.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
My mother-in-law was of this opinion. If you had time to sit down and read you were wasting your time as there were other things to be done. In her opinion all fiction is a complete waste of time. Why would you want made up stories as an adult. And this was from one of the most creative and artistic people I’ve met.
My late father said this about us kids playing card games.
No matter that it's fun with banter and laughter, and it's downright gasp sociable. It was a waste of time, only slightly more pointless than reading storybooks.

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Reaction score
554.jpg

Mr. Banooka

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
My late father said this about us kids playing card games.
No matter that it's fun with banter and laughter, and it's downright gasp sociable. It was a waste of time, only slightly more pointless than reading storybooks.

I’ve a friend who is the life of the party, great fun to be around etc, but has zero imagination. Anything that isn’t rooted in reality is totally pointless to him.

i think I’ve mentioned him on here before; He’s the friend who said that Hot Fuzz is the worst film he’s ever seen.

Mr. Banooka

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
I am usually pretty relaxed about people not liking the same stuff as me, but I'd have trouble accepting anyone as a friend who didn't enjoy Hot Fuzz!
We have put it down to him having no frame of reference as he’s not seen any of the movies that Hot Fuzz riffs on. He’s actually got a great sense of humour.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I can recommend Fesshole on Twitter for vulgar humour.

Example -
I once tried to suck my own dick using a pipe from a vacuum cleaner to help me reach.
The suction forced extra blood into my lips and they turned purple. I made up a story to explain the colour of my lips which I had to repeat many times.

Think I alarmed Techy with belly-laughing at that one. :rollingw:

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Double entendre overload - I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue: The Complete Lionel Blair
Blair hated Clue and especially Humphrey Lyttelton. He resented the jokes about him.
He could have sued but that would've made him look sour and unsporting.

Soon after Lyttelton's death Blair was on the BBC R4 Saturday morning live magazine programme* and the host asked him to say a few words about Lyttelton.

His response was (doing my best to remember) 'He was a horrible, horrible man. You should only say good things about the dead. Good, I'm glad he's dead. I hated him.'

There was a stunned silence before the host moved swiftly on.
Fantastic radio. :rollingw:

*Until a couple of years ago you could still listen to it and I did, and it always made me laugh. :)

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Blair hated Clue and especially Humphrey Lyttelton. He resented the jokes about him.
He could have sued but that would've made him look sour and unsporting.

Soon after Lyttelton's death Blair was on the BBC R4 Saturday morning live magazine programme* and the host asked him to say a few words about Lyttelton.

His response was (doing my best to remember) 'He was a horrible, horrible man. You should only say good things about the dead. Good, I'm glad he's dead. I hated him.'

There was a stunned silence before the host moved swiftly on.
Fantastic radio. :rollingw:

*Until a couple of years ago you could still listen to it and I did, and it always made me laugh. :)
Yeah, I was shocked by that. But Humph did push it too far.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Yeah, I was shocked by that. But Humph did push it too far.
I found the jokes funny - the rather laboured lead-up was part of the fun - and I'd assumed Blair didn't mind. It was a surprise to find he most certainly did. In that context it resembles homophobic playground bullying.