• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Simpsons—Beyond The Screen

Isn't The Simpsons animated in Korea? Perhaps a Southern Hemisphere-r drew it?

Morrissey's manager attacks 'hurtful and racist' Simpsons parody

Morrissey appears to have taken offence at The Simpsons after being sent up in the animation's latest episode.

In the show, titled Panic On The Streets of Springfield, Lisa Simpson becomes obsessed with the militantly vegan singer of a 1980s indie band.

But her dreams are shattered when it transpires her idol, voiced by Benedict Cumberbatch, had become a bitter, overweight, anti-immigrant meat-eater.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-56806312

Morrissey appears to have taken offence.....

....and then insert any random thing.

I mean, he just strikes me as the sort that would take offence at anything.

Didn't he storm off stage at a festival one time because the wind was blowing the smell from a burger van in his direction?

Also, somebody HAS told him that 'The Simpsons' is a cartoon and not a documentary focusing on pop-stars of the 80s, haven't they?

Didn't he storm off stage at a festival one time because the wind was blowing the smell from a burger van in his direction?

Also, somebody HAS told him that 'The Simpsons' is a cartoon and not a documentary focusing on pop-stars of the 80s, haven't they?
Ironically, his facebook page was promoting this particular Simpsons episode up to its broadcast.

It might be yet another cynical attempt to get column inches. Keeps Morrissey's waning career alive.

Morrissey's manager attacks 'hurtful and racist' Simpsons parody

Morrissey appears to have taken offence at The Simpsons after being sent up in the animation's latest episode.

In the show, titled Panic On The Streets of Springfield, Lisa Simpson becomes obsessed with the militantly vegan singer of a 1980s indie band.

But her dreams are shattered when it transpires her idol, voiced by Benedict Cumberbatch, had become a bitter, overweight, anti-immigrant meat-eater.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-56806312

Son refuses to believe Dad’s assertion that there was a time when Morrissey wasn’t a twat

A teenage boy has poured scorn on his father’s assertion that there was a time that popular singer Morrissey wasn’t a massive twat.
Simon Williams, a nose hair topiarist from Chelmsford, mentioned that Morrissey was both a hero and a poet when he was growing up.
“Yeah, that’s just bollocks, though, isn’t it,” said a sceptical Simon Williams Jnr.
https://newsthump.com/2017/11/21/so...2fB1FaKE6WRNGR07AXyTJgA1WGhyq4-PIjg6QSYyz5KJQ

An excellent video essay on some of the many reasons that recent ("recent" being the last 20 or more years) Simpsons is not very good or patch on its previous self.

Last edited:
Do any of these YouTube commentators actually like anything anymore or is the site all a billion hours of snarkers telling us why everything is shit?

Do any of these YouTube commentators actually like anything anymore or is the site all a billion hours of snarkers telling us why everything is shit?

Those ones the get a lot of clicks and many have a culture war slant to shill for as well. There also are, or at least, were, many that praised everything new essentially so they could get free shit from studios.

The above video is worth a watch, he's not simply ragging on "new" Simpsons, he's praising the old one and attempting to analyse what made it so good and why the newer one falls short.

I did stop watching The Simpsons when it went more weird than funny, but bits I've seen since haven't been too bad, just not enough to coax me back. When it was in its heyday, it was unbeatable, but nothing can sustain that over thirty years.

I did stop watching The Simpsons when it went more weird than funny, but bits I've seen since haven't been too bad, just not enough to coax me back. When it was in its heyday, it was unbeatable, but nothing can sustain that over thirty years.

I agree, except for Last of the Summer Wine, which is untouchable Godlike genius.

Roughly when did you give up on Simpsons? For me it was very early 2000s, when I moved country to country and episodes weren't necessarily viewed in order either.

I agree, except for Last of the Summer Wine, which is untouchable Godlike genius.

Roughly when did you give up on Simpsons? For me it was very early 2000s, when I moved country to country and episodes weren't necessarily viewed in order either.

Yeah, it must have been the early 2000s, the last "new" one I watched was where Homer had laser eye surgery and his eyes crusted over. I thought, that's revolting, I don't want to watch this anymore.

I haven't given up on the Simpsons yet, but the last few seasons have been, to put it charitably, spotty. This current season definitely feels like they're winding it up, and none too soon. Who was it (Oscar Wilde?) who said, "The height of good taste is knowing when it's time to leave."

I haven't given up on the Simpsons yet, but the last few seasons have been, to put it charitably, spotty. This current season definitely feels like they're winding it up, and none too soon. Who was it (Oscar Wilde?) who said, "The height of good taste is knowing when it's time to leave."

In that case it should have ended roughly 20 years ago.

No sign of it dying any time soon:

https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/ustv/a35714930/the-simpsons-renewed-season-33-34/

As long as it makes money for the advertisers and TV station, it'll hang about. I do wonder whether it could survive the deaths of its cast, though (he said morbidly).

It might, they've threatened to replace them many times in the past. If they lost one or two, each could be replaced with one or more people who can do one or more of the voices that the actor performs I'm sure they could replace, for example: Harry Shearer - who does multiple regular characters with many younger actors for less than the price he commands. I think there'd be some outcry but I don't think that many people care that much about The Simpsons any more, newer episodes are passively watched like most TV and older ones will always be there.

It's partially advertising, as you say but it's also merch - which apparently still shifts a reasonable amount; and new content for Disney+.

I'm sure they could replace, for example: Harry Shearer - who does multiple regular characters with many younger actors for less than the price he commands. I think there'd be some outcry but I don't think that many people care that much about The Simpsons any more, newer episodes are passively watched like most TV and older ones will always be there.

Not Harry Shearer, surely! I've only heard the new Dr Hibbert once or twice and he doesn't sound right. How would we accept losing Ned Flanders, Kent Brockman, Lenny Leonard, Rainier Wolfcastle, Seymour Skinner... And of course Waylon Smithers and Charles Montgomery Burns all at once?

When Shearer departs, and he's 78 years old in a couple of weeks, the decent thing would be to retire the show.

I'm sure Disney will be ok with that.

Not Harry Shearer, surely! I've only heard the new Dr Hibbert once or twice and he doesn't sound right. How would we accept losing Ned Flanders, Kent Brockman, Lenny Leonard, Rainier Wolfcastle, Seymour Skinner... And of course Waylon Smithers and Charles Montgomery Burns all at once?

When Shearer departs, and he's 78 years old in a couple of weeks, the decent thing would be to retire the show.

I'm sure Disney will be ok with that.

Nah. $$$$

Back