• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fires Extinguished In Odd Ways

stu neville

Commissioner.
Staff member
OK, so technically the headline's a tad misleading...

From Teletext news:
FISH HALTS SCHOOL FIRE

US firefighters summoned to a school fire in the middle of the night arrived on the scene to find the flames had already been put out - by a fish.

A forgotten candle started a small fire at the Minnesota school but the flames shattered a nearby fish bowl, spilling enough water to extinguish the blaze.

Firefighters attending found a few embers still glowing on the desk - and Dory the fish still alive in a puddle.

RECEIVED: 31/01/2004 20:06:14

:).

Ah, so this story is not about the heroic exploits of Marillion's ex-lead singer.

Thats a shame :p

Giant knickers put out house fire

A family home was saved from burning down when a pair of giant knickers were used to put out a fire.
Jenny Marsey's size 18-20 cotton pants were a lifesaver when they were grabbed to cover a frying pan fire at her home in Meryl Gardens, Hartlepool, Teesside.

Her son and nephew were trying to fry some bread when the blaze broke out.

But the quick-thinking pair used the Marks & Spencer underwear from a pile of washing, doused them in water, and threw them over the fire.

Mrs Marsey, 53, said: "My £4.99 parachute knickers have come in handy for something. We've had a good laugh that they were a bit like a fire blanket."

The incident happened on Sunday, while Mrs Marsey was out for the day.

Her son John and his cousin Darren, 23, were cooking, when they went to answer a knock at the door, only to return to a blazing kitchen.

Mrs Marsey said: "When they found the pan on fire they did what most people do and panicked.

"But they found a pair of my knickers in a washing basket and basically used them as a fire blanket to put out the fire."

Mrs Marsey, who is also mother to Sarah, 23, Joanne, 24, and Donna, 27, added: "I think if they had been my daughter Sarah's skimpy knickers they wouldn't have done any good.

"I'm taking it all in my stride and it's quite a funny start to the New Year."

A spokesman for Cleveland Fire Brigade said: "They did the right thing in the end. We advise everyone to get fire safety advice."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/tees/7167549.stm

:D

During the Blitz a Great Dane extinguished a German incendiary device and saved its owner's home - by pissing on the fire.
Juliana (died 1946) was a medal-winning Great Dane. She was awarded two Blue Cross medals, the first for extinguishing an incendiary bomb ...

In April 1941, two years into World War II, incendiary bombs were being dropped across Britain during The Blitz. One such device is believed to have fallen through the roof of the house in which Juliana and her owner lived. The dog is reported to have stood over the bomb and urinated on it, extinguishing the fire and preventing it from spreading. ...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juliana_(dog)

I can't go into details of a fire that was accidentally started by a smoker, (do they still exist?? - Yes is the answer), and how he tried to unsuccessfully tackle it without actually just setting off the bloody alarm.

If you are still smoking - don't do it in crowded areas. Man up if you start a fire and just hit the alarm rather than waiting for an unruly cat to turn up and have to sort the shit out.

Back