• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Odd & Funny Place Names

rynner2

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
All the good old threads on this keep evaporating, so I'm adding a pointless poll to try to sticky this one...

For starters, an Irish Joke (at least, I assume it was a tongue-in-cheek joke):-

I was searching Google Maps, and discovered that in Kinsale (on the south coast of Ireland) there is a place called....

Scilly Walk!

[Geographical footnote: The Isles off Scilly, off Cornwall, are SE of Kinsale, and probably one of the closest UK places to that town.]

On my beat here in sunny Northampton, theres a narrow lane called Danes Back Passage :oops:

Well, I just watched a DVD of Adam Hills (Australian Comedian and TV Show Host) filmed in a hall in Pakenham, Victoria, where it was discovered that there was an adjacent suburb called Pakenham Upper.

ArthurASCII said:
On my beat here in sunny Northampton, theres a narrow lane called Danes Back Passage :oops:
** Correction **
Sorry. I must have been full of Christmas spirit when I wrote this post - I got the name wrong.

The name of the footpath is actually,,, Danes Backside.
We also boast a Danes Passage

Listed here

Just outside of Weston-Super-Mare there's a village called Uphill. The local horticultural society has, for a few years now, been called... The Uphill Horticultural Society. Prior to this? "The Uphill Gardeners Club".

Similarly, I know a teacher by the name of Mr Hankie. He only got mildly ribbed until South Park came along - imagine walking into a classroom and all the inmates, in unison, bellowing "Howwwwdy-hoooo!". Poor bastard :D.

There's a crotch crescent in Oxford.

RE: the original poll. No, I don't.

My favourite place name is Firkin Point, just on the shores of Loch Lomond.

The bloke and I have the inevitable conversation about "FFS, will you get to the Firkin Point?" each time we pass the place.

Himself wanted to take a pic of me with the sign (captioned "At last, Fizz gets to the Firkin Point") when we passed it a couple of days ago, but it was snowing and I'm too nesh.

There used to be a sign in a hedge in a village near here pointing to the beekeeper's house, saying 'Local Honey'. I used to want to photograph a mate standing next to it, pouting. :lol:

I can't often remember jokes, let alone make them up, but I did get a chance at work today.

My young colleague had had an enquiry about charts for Iceland. As geography is not his strong point, he asked me "Where is Iceland?"

I was able to reply "It's opposite Argos!"

..which is true, in our town. 8)

re place names:

near plymouth there is crapstone (the stone there is actually quite impressive), near poznan there is a town called oborniki, which means manure in polish. there is thong in kent, wankem in the netherlands (or was it belgium?) and there's maggy's tits in the us. as a kid i once went camping at sandy balls in hampshire. there is a sandy bottom in st austell, where there is also a lane called dog shit alley, although that's probably not official.

A small plane crash landed in Virginia after experiencing mechanical problems. The pilot escaped with only minor injuries.

The things in this story that made me chuckle were the place names around the crash scene. They sound like names invented for a comic book (or, in one case, a Stephen King novel).
SMALL PLANE CRASH LANDS NEAR RED RUM DRIVE IN ASHBURN

The aircraft came down in a field off Red Rum Road near the Lost Rhino Brewing Co. parking lot. ...

... the single-wing 1977 Cessna was flying from New Jersey to Dulles International Airport when it began experiencing mechanical problems.

The pilot, Aaron Adams, 28, of Denton, Texas, notified the Dulles tower of the problem.

Adams then attempted an emergency landing on a strip of private property behind the Raging Wire data center. ...
SOURCE: https://www.theburn.com/2022/02/22/small-plane-crash-lands-near-red-rum-drive-in-ashburn/

Recently I discovered (whilst en route to a job) a cul de sac called Glen Close in Andover. This made me chuckle and wonder if there are any other celebrity road names like Denny Lane maybe or Jontor Road (John Torode) or even a Benny Hill... actually I think he has a road called Benny Hill Lane in his honour!

I find self mildly amused by the village of Bothel -- in Cumbria, north-east of Workington. Temptation envisaged, involving a letter toward the latter end of the alphabet; for local humorists equipped with magic markers or similar implements.

Not far from where I live is Upper Dicker and Lower Dicker. There's also a local beauty spot called Devil's Dyke (with an interesting folk law as to why it's called that) and near by is Dykes Bottom.

There is of course the river Uck in East Sussex which has the shortest name board I've ever seen to prevent the obvious addition.

A thought prompted here -- "off-colour" associations not involved; just rivers with three-letter names. The general area of Bedfordshire-shading-into-Cambridgeshire, seems to be rich in small rivers with thusly-brief, and odd-looking, names. The River Ivel has tributaries called the Hiz; and the Flit, which is fed into by a tributary of its own, the Hit. At St. Neots, the Great Ouse is joined from the west by the Kym; which bears in its upper reaches a different name -- the Til.

Just noticed looking at my above post that it seems someone has already had to paint out an addition to the sign. Wouldn't have thought they could get a D in that space.

Just noticed looking at my above post that it seems someone has already had to paint out an addition to the sign. Wouldn't have thought they could get a D in that space.

Or an M -- clever graffitists in those parts !

I’ve never come across more entertaining place names that those on Newfoundland, Canada. You’ve got Dildo, Heart’s Content, Heart's Delight, Heart”s Desire, Cupids, Happy Adventure, Witless Bay, Man Hole, Blow Me Down, Come by Chance, Too Good Arm and many, many more. We went there on our honeymoon, and damn I left a huge piece of my heart there - fantastic place.

Not far from where I live is Upper Dicker and Lower Dicker. There's also a local beauty spot called Devil's Dyke (with an interesting folk law as to why it's called that) and near by is Dykes Bottom.
I mentioned Lower Dicker and oddly enough, tomorrow, I'm collecting a bed from there for a friend. I've never been there before.

Getting a bed from Lower Dicker…. snigger….
Looking on the map just now, nearby to Upper and Lower Dicker is another Dicker simply called 'The Dicker'..... sniggers loudly..... The three Dickers!

To make things worse, my friend lives in a place called Fulking. So I'll be traveling to Lower Dicker, then through Upper Dicker and then The Dicker and to Fulking with a bed. I will then go via Piddinghoe and through Rottingdean for a pleasant Sunday drive and a coastal route.

Last edited:
Looking on the map just now, nearby to Upper and Lower Dicker is another Dicker simply called 'The Dicker'..... sniggers loudly..... The three Dickers!

To make things worse, my friend lives in a place called Fulking. So I'll be traveling to Lower Dicker, then through Upper Dicker and then The Dicker and to Fulking with a bed. I will then go via Piddinghoe and through Rottingdean for a pleasant Sunday drive and a coastal route.

need... laugh ... react!!!!

A private road/driveway in Colorado:

colorado.jpg

Back