• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Hybrid Animals

Dessie32

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
How often do animals in the wild cross breed? I know lions, tigers and leopards have crossed in captivity but has it ever happened in the wild? Can Chimps and Bonobos (pygimy chimps) cross? Anyone know of any other combinations that have occurred in the wild?

Hiya Dessie. Welcome aboard.

There are shed loads of examples of hybridization in the wild, so many, in fact, that within certain genera the concept of species isn't actually that useful.

The classic example is Canidae, the dog family.

Dogs, wolves, coyotes, jackals and Red Wolves are all interfertile, and where their ranges meet sometimes interbreed.

Many animals can be induced to mate with each other in captivity, but their offspring show reduced fertility. So horses and donkeys produce mules, which are almost always sterile. Lions and tigers are crossed by zoos and breeders (not very ethical IMO) but the resulting Tigon/Liger males are infertile. The females can be fertile though, and females of back crosses to Tigers or Lions are also fertile. I believe that 3rd generation males can be fertile too.

In the dog family, however, all crosses produce viable fertile offspring. In Canada particularly there is a huge amount of cross breeding between Coyotes and Wolves. In ontario ,for example, what is defined as a wolf and what as a Coyote could depend on size and ecological niche rather than genetics. One researcher there described the situation there as "Canid Soup". Cause scientists think puns are funny.

[Edited for style 8) ]

boynamedsue said:
Lions and tigers are crossed by zoos and breeders (not very ethical IMO) but the resulting Tigon/Liger males are infertile. The females can be fertile though, and females of back crosses to Tigers or Lions are also fertile. I believe that 3rd generation males can be fertile too.

i've heard that Ligers are HUGE because the gene that tells the body "stop growing now" never gets carried over (or turned on)
i've also read that their hunting and killer-instincts are virtually non-existant, they're just gigantic half-ton cuddly house-kitties

The actress Tipi Hedren crossed a male tiger with a female lion producing a Tigon. She claims in her book that the that this tigon shared both parents habits. As you get lions & tigers cohabiting the Gir Forest in india have there been any records of hybrids from there? Have there been any hybrids with Cougars & Jaguars? Or Tigers and Leopards in Maylsia?

CoffeeJedi said:
i've heard that Ligers are HUGE because the gene that tells the body "stop growing now" never gets carried over (or turned on)
i've also read that their hunting and killer-instincts are virtually non-existant, they're just gigantic half-ton cuddly house-kitties

Not sure how cuddly they are naturally, breeders would often hand-rear Tigons/Ligers as parents have been known to kill them due to their strange appearance.

Lions and tigers are not known to have crossed in the wild. Their range used to intersect throughout India, Pakistan and much of Iran, and many reports from India describe strange looking tigers. I would suggest it is unlikely to have happened often as tigers and lions social behaviour is so different. It is unlikely there has been significant gene-flow between the species due to the issue of reduced fertility.

Chimps and bonobos

Until people became aware of the separate staus of bonobos, they were often kept in captivity with common or garden chimpanzees. Because they tend to be less agressive the poor bonobos were often picked on and would have lived pretty miserable lives.

Nonetheless, does anyone know whether they bred with the chimps? If so, what lessons can be learned for human/chimp crosses? Anything?

I saw a Channel 5 documentary (I know, I know...) about a chimp, who was rumoured to be a human-chimp hybrid (apparently the term is 'humanzee'). This animal walked upright (there was something unusual about it's pelvic structure) and had a light-skinned and very hairless face. It had a rather unfortunate life, including a spell as a test animal, before being rescued by a former owner and put in a sanctuary.

IIRC, it was tested and found to be 100% chimp, although the presenter of the programme claimed that it would be possible to have a viable humanzee, and that rumours of such had been around for many years.

Personally, I wouldn't mind a little chimp DNA. A tail would be nice.

undergroundbob said:
I saw a Channel 5 documentary (I know, I know...) about a chimp, who was rumoured to be a human-chimp hybrid (apparently the term is 'humanzee'). This animal walked upright (there was something unusual about it's pelvic structure) and had a light-skinned and very hairless face. It had a rather unfortunate life, including a spell as a test animal, before being rescued by a former owner and put in a sanctuary.

IIRC, it was tested and found to be 100% chimp, although the presenter of the programme claimed that it would be possible to have a viable humanzee, and that rumours of such had been around for many years.

Personally, I wouldn't mind a little chimp DNA. A tail would be nice.

Well you do share a lot of your DNA with chimps,and,er.......(chimps dont have tails !)

The chimp your talking about was Oliver,theres a thread here somewhere if you care to search for it.

Actually you share all but about 1.6% of your DNA with chimps.

Too bad about the tail though! :(

Monkeys split off from the chimp/homo line about 12 million years ago so you well and truly dipped out on the tail.

Come to think of it. Given that humans have mated with just about everything, including disembodied livers and apple pies, surely there must have been chimp/human hybrids produced sometime, somewhere .... surely. :?:

I'm pretty sure I once saw some human-chimp courtship at my old high school prom. Why are the cute girls always attracted to the football players?

</bad joke>

f3nce said:
I'm pretty sure I once saw some human-chimp courtship at my old high school prom.

I looked like a chimp all the way through hi-school. What went wrong? Maybe it was just the spots...

*cries onto keyboard causing short circuit, stash of bananas incinerated in ensuing furnace, for third week running decides not to buy a lottery ticket.*

f3nce said:
I'm pretty sure I once saw some human-chimp courtship at my old high school prom. Why are the cute girls always attracted to the football players?

</bad joke>

If it was a the prom, it could have been the monkey suits

From what I've heard (and seen on tv) about Bonobos, they would mate with anything......

crouton said:
From what I've heard (and seen on tv) about Bonobos, they would mate with anything......
Frequently, and with great enthusiasm.

Yeah, bonobos don't have television, so they have to fill their days in somehow - but any results that might be interesting to this thread?

Non-biologist here!

I have a truly dumb question so I hope you will be patient...what about non-mammal hybrids, like "gucks/deese"?

I believe with regards to birds, as opposed to mammals, since we started classifying them the question of whether two different *kinds* who can (or even do, regularly) interbreed and whether they're considered two different species have not been treated as exactly the same issue, if that makes sense.

eg Black-capped and Carolina Chickadees have mostly different ranges and definitely different songs, sizes in addition the former have white wing patches. They've *always* been considered seperate species. Nevertheless, there are naturally occuring hybrids where they overlap. OTOH, Bullock's and Baltimore Orioles have been repeatedly lumped together, divided into two, lumped together, etc, etc. They are currently all called Northern Orioles these days, IIRC. But that may change yet.

I think (errr? open to correction) that in general it's easier for birds of unquestionably different species but the same genus (ie mallards & pintails, but not ducks & geese, they're too dissimilar) to breed and produce offspring than it is for their furry cousins.

Like people forming opinions about the taxonomy and systematics of FTMB threads, orinthologists are either mergers or splitters. :D

Ah, thanks, lopaka, that makes sense...didn't realize ducks and geese were so different.

Wholphin

http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/science/04/15/wholphin.birth.ap/index.html
Whale-dolphin mix baby born
Park: Wholphin calf born in December

HONOLULU, Hawaii (AP) -- The only whale-dolphin mix in captivity has given birth to a playful female calf, officials at Sea Life Park Hawaii said Thursday.

The calf was born on December 23 to Kekaimalu, a mix of a false killer whale and an Atlantic bottlenose dolphin. Park officials said they waited to announce the birth until now because of recent changes in ownership and operations at the park.

The young as-yet unnamed wholphin is one-fourth false killer whale and three-fourths Atlantic bottlenose dolphin. Her slick skin is an even blend of a dolphin's light gray and the black coloring of a false killer whale.

The calf still depends fully on her mother's milk, but sometimes snatches frozen capelin from the hands of trainers, then toys with the sardine-like fish.

She is jumbo-sized compared to purebred dolphins, and is already the size of a one-year-old bottlenose.

"Mother and calf are doing very well," said Dr. Renato Lenzi, general manager of Sea Life Park by Dolphin Discovery. "We are monitoring them very closely to ensure the best care for them."

Although false killer whales and Atlantic bottlenose dolphins are different species, they are classified within the same family by scientists.

"They are not that far apart in terms of taxonomy," said Louis Herman, a leading expert in the study of marine mammals.

There have been reports of wholphins in the wild, he said.

Kekaimalu, whose name means "from the peaceful ocean," was born 19 years ago after a surprise coupling between a 14-foot, 2,000-pound false killer whale and a 6-foot, 400-pound dolphin. The animals were the leads in the park's popular tourist water show, featured in the Adam Sandler movie "50 First Dates."

Kekaimalu has given birth to two other calves. One lived for nine years and the other, born when Kekaimalu was very young, died a few days after birth.

Park researchers suspect the wholphin's father is a 15-foot long Atlantic bottlenose dolphin named Mikioi.

"He seems to be totally oblivious to this happening," Lenzi said.

False killer whales do not closely resemble killer whales. They grow to 20 feet, weigh up to two tons and have a tapering, rounded snout that overhangs their toothed jaw.

Atlantic bottlenose dolphins reach a maximum size of 12 feet and can weigh up to 700 pounds.

Sea Life Park officials said they hope to decide on a name for the baby wholphin soon and move her to a large display tank in a few months.
:shock:

Re: Wholphin

A small quibble, which mainly goes to the quality of reporting these days.
Keyser Soze said:
Park researchers suspect the wholphin's father is a 15-foot long Atlantic bottlenose dolphin named Mikioi.
Compare with:
Atlantic bottlenose dolphins reach a maximum size of 12 feet and can weigh up to 700 pounds.
Do journalists now not read their own copy?

Goose-Duck Hybrid?

There's a small moderately polluted duck pond on Lordship Rec, Tottenham, London which i visit ocaisionally and for the last two or three years every spring/summer one of the regular inhabitants has been a wierd bird that looks exactly like a cross between a typical green headed mallard and the big brown geese that also frequent the pond - he used to be a bit of a billy no-mates and was sadly shunned by the other birds, but now he seems to have two young mallard friends

loads of people have seen him and reckon the only answer is he's a hybrid, but is that possible? :?:

edit: whoops just seen the thread about hybrids, er feel free to merge this or whatever sorry. :oops:

Would love to see a pic of this critter. :) Has he been in the local paper or anything?

I think there was a case a few years back where there was a cross between a goosed and a swan. Or something like that. There was pictures in the paper and everything.

Leaferne said:
Would love to see a pic of this critter. :) Has he been in the local paper or anything?

not as far as i know, next time i'm there (this sunday possibly) i'll try and grab a shot with my phone - and get a link up

Back