• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Hypnobirthing ?

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
This sounds like spam/snake oil bullshit to me, the Mrs has a hynobirthing conference thing happening at her workplace tonight .. it seems the pains of childbirth are all in the mind and women can control all of the kerfuffle. I expect this involves hefty instalment payments from people with more money than sense to attend these bullshit meetings. The only media mention I've found so far was that it was discussed on TV's Richard & Judy show back in 2004 .. so it must work then ! :rolleyes: (I pity the chef who's on tonight, the ridiculous food demands are going to be off the scale) ..

http://hypnobirthing.co.uk/what-is-hypnobirthing/

This sounds like spam/snake oil bullshit to me, the Mrs has a hynobirthing conference thing happening at her workplace tonight .. it seems the pains of childbirth are all in the mind and women can control all of the kerfuffle. I expect this involves hefty instalment payments from people with more money than sense to attend these bullshit meetings. The only media mention I've found so far was that it was discussed on TV's Richard & Judy show back in 2004 .. so it must work then ! :rolleyes: (I pity the chef who's on tonight, the ridiculous food demands are going to be off the scale) ..

http://hypnobirthing.co.uk/what-is-hypnobirthing/
It's a topic of personal significance to me, is this. Given the immense physical and psychological damage that was inflicted upon my other half in childbirth by people who call themselves medical professionals, I can well understand why parents, and pregnant mothers in particular, might prefer a less pathologised approach. And I wouldn't be so quick as you to dismiss hypnobirthing: OH found it so effective during the birth of our second child that she didn't need anything stronger.

The real snake oil bullshit, in my eyes, is why allopathic healthcare insists on treating all mothers as problem cases. And there's a gendered critique which explains why this should be the case, but given the whiff of Brut 33 which increasingly seems to be wafting around the FTMB, I don't feel particularly inclined to expand upon it.

It's a topic of personal significance to me, is this. Given the immense physical and psychological damage that was inflicted upon my other half in childbirth by people who call themselves medical professionals, I can well understand why parents, and pregnant mothers in particular, might prefer a less pathologised approach. And I wouldn't be so quick as you to dismiss hypnobirthing: OH found it so effective during the birth of our second child that she didn't need anything stronger.

The real snake oil bullshit, in my eyes, is why allopathic healthcare insists on treating all mothers as problem cases. And there's a gendered critique which explains why this should be the case, but given the whiff of Brut 33 which increasingly seems to be wafting around the FTMB, I don't feel particularly inclined to expand upon it.
It's possible I'll be meeting the hypnobirthers tonight, the Mrs has had a couple of her staff cancel working tonight so I might have to help her out and be their waiter for the evening. It'll be interesting to listen in.

Back