• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Hypnotism

hypnosis- is it real or BS

• load of hooey

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Might be true in some instances

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • It's true I think, but I've never been hypnotised

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • I have been hypnotised in the past/ am at the moment and it worked so I belive in it

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters
As a woman is hypnotised into believing she's had surgery: Yes, the power of the mind can heal your body
By Michael Hanlon, Science Editor
Last updated at 10:16 AM on 25th May 2009

We often take the link between our mind and body for granted, yet in truth it is one of the least understood phenomena in the whole of science.
Take the strange case of Marion Corns.

Last week, it was reported that Mrs Corns, who is from Merseyside, allowed herself to be hypnotised after becoming obese.

After trying the usual diets and exercise regimes with no success, she travelled to a clinic in Spain where she was put into an altered state of consciousness and then 'talked through', in step-by-step detail, the procedure for a drastic weight-loss operation.
Mrs Corns did not actually go under the knife.

But under hypnosis she was told she had been fitted with a gastric band - a device which constricts the stomach, dramatically reducing the amount that can be eaten.

Although she was fully aware that no band had been fitted, something in her brain seemed to believe otherwise, and she lost four stone - exactly the sort of weight loss that could be expected if a band had been fitted.
So what on earth is going on? Can the mind be fooled to such an extent that it can 'fake' the effects of a major surgical procedure? And, if so, could it provide the path to a whole new kind of medicine - one in which pills and scalpels can be replaced by the power of mental suggestion?

The strange case of Mrs Corns certainly looks like a clear victory for those who claim that 'alternative' treatments, into which category hypnosis is often lumped, are often as effective, or better, than conventional Western medicine. But can this really be the case?

For a long time, hypnotism has been dismissed by many as stageshow trickery. Yet what is often forgotten is that at the dawn of modern medicine, the technique promised a tremendous - and real - breakthrough as a form of anaesthesia.

Scottish doctor James Braid coined the term 'hypnotism' in 1841 after studying relaxation and meditation techniques used in Oriental medicine and Eastern religious practice.

At the same time, another Scot, Dr James Esdaile, was performing 'miracles' in India using techniques akin to hypnotism to calm his patients during surgical procedures.
A physician employed by the East India Company, Dr Esdaile used the technique to perform, painlessly, hundreds of operations, including the removal of tumours, amputations and even emergency castrations.
This was a time when even simple operations were akin to torture and patients who did not die of septicemia stood a good chance of succumbing to shock.

Post-operative survival rates were usually less than 50 per cent.
But, thanks to Esdaile's ability to relax patients and put them into hypnotic trances, his success rates were closer to 80per cent for some operations.

The world stood on the brink of a new era of pain-free surgery.
But the 1840s was also the time when the first chemical anaesthetics were being pioneered.

And the success of conventional drugs such as chloroform and ether made sure the quirkier technique of hypnotism was consigned to the footnotes of medical history.

Today, hypnotism is undergoing something of a revival. It has become a respectable treatment for some forms of mental illness, including anxiety and depression.
Hypnotists have helped thousands of people lose weight and stop smoking, as well as helping to relieve the pain of cancer, wounds and burns.

There is some clinical evidence that hypnosis can be used to treat seemingly 'physical' conditions such as irritable bowel syndrome and the skin condition psoriasis.

Hypnotism doesn't work for everyone. But, then again, neither do many drugs.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/artic ... -body.html

Thanks for that last post, Rynner.
I shall bear that in mind for my own weight-loss strategy.

Mind you, I have a Paul McKenna weight-loss video, and it hasn't worked for me...

You haven't read all the instructions. :roll:

You're supposed to hold it in your mouth when you walk past the cake shop.

escargot1 said:
You haven't read all the instructions. :roll:

You're supposed to hold it in your mouth when you walk past the cake shop.

Ah! I'm in a cybercafe right now & you just reminded me theres a great caskeshop nearby! Damn the cholestorel levels!

Hypnotise your patient, surgeons told
Technique seen as alternative to general anaesthetic for certain operations
Amelia Hill, social affairs correspondent The Observer, Sunday 7 June 2009

Doctors should be taught to hypnotise patients not to feel pain instead of using general anaesthetics during some operations, the Royal Society of Medicine will be told today.

In what he has described as a "clarion call to the British medical profession", Professor David Spiegel, of the Department of Psychiatry and Behavioural Sciences at Stanford University in the US, will also call on the National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (Nice) to add hypnotherapy to its list of approved therapeutic techniques for the treatment of conditions ranging from allergies and high blood pressure to the pain associated with bone marrow transplantation, cancer treatment and anaesthesia for liver biopsy. Nice has already approved the technique for the treatment of irritable bowel syndrome.

"It is time for hypnosis to work its way into the mainstream of British medicine," Spiegel will say at the joint conference of the Royal Society of Medicine, the British Society of Clinical and Academic Hypnosis and the British Society of Medical and Dental Hypnosis.

"There is solid science behind what sounds like mysticism and we need to get that message across to the bodies that influence this area. Hypnosis has no negative side-effects. It makes operations quicker, as the patient is able to talk to the surgeon as the operation proceeds, and it is cheaper than conventional pain relief. Since it does not interfere with the workings of the body, the patient recovers faster, too.

"It is also extremely powerful as a means of pain relief. Hypnosis has been accepted and rejected because people are nervous of it. They think it's either too powerful or not powerful enough, but, although the public are sceptical, the hardest part of the procedure is getting other doctors to accept it."

Professor Marie-Elisabeth Faymonville, head of the Pain Clinic at Liege University Hospital in Belgium, who has operated on more than 6,000 patients using hypnosis combined with a light local anaesthetic, said: "The local anaesthetic is used only to deaden the surface of the skin while a scalpel slices through it. It has no effect inside the body.

"The patient is conscious throughout the operation and this helps the doctor and patient work together. The patient may have to move during an operation and it's simple to get them to do so if they remain conscious. We've even done a hysterectomy using the procedure."

The theory behind medical hypnosis is that the body's brain and nervous system can't always distinguish an imagined situation from a real occurrence. This means the brain can act on any image or verbal suggestion as if it were reality. Hypnosis puts patients into a state of deep relaxation that is very susceptible to imagery. The more vivid this imagery, the greater the effect on the body.

Dr Martin Wall, president of the Section Hypnosis and Psychosomatic Medicine at the Royal Society of Medicine, said hypnosis fundamentally alters a subject's state of mind. Hypnosis is not, he said, simply a matter of suggestibility and relaxation.

Nice said it would welcome submissions for hypnotherapy to be considered as an approved therapeutic technique on the NHS if it could be cost-effective, and consistent delivery could be guaranteed.

But Professor Steve Field, who chairs the Royal College of General Practitioners, said he was sceptical as to whether hypnotherapy could meet these standards.

"It is a useful tool used by some GPs and patients for relaxation, but I don't think it is something that we should support being rolled out to all medical students and all doctors," he said.

"We can't call on the NHS to support it without there being a firm medical and economic basis, and I'm not convinced those have been proved to exist."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2009/ ... aesthetics

They are both real

Stage hypnotism and theraputic hypnotism are both real and both work, but they work in different ways.
I was taught how to hypnotise first myself and then other people and it works basicaly by distracting the right ,logical, half of the brain and gaining the attention of the left, emotional, half of the brain, allowing thoughts and suggestions to be implanted in the more suspeptable part of the brain. Stage hypnotism is more a form of mass hysteria.
You can learn how to hypnotise yourself which is quite a strange experiance but its a good starting point if you want to use it to help other people too.

Isn't that left brain / right brain thing largely pseudoscientific nonsense ...... and anyway the other way around? ;)

I dunno

I dunno about it being nonsense, all I can go on is my own experiences which tend to suggest that if you can distract someone it seems to allow them to be hypnotised.
One way i was taught is to get the subject to relax then while sitting down get them to hold out their right arm palm up, you place something in their upturned hand and tell them to concentrate on the weight of the object slowly getting heavier and their arm dropping, their arm will naturaly drop anyway as its impossible to hold your arm in that position for any length or time. As they do that suggest that as their arm drops they become more relaxed ,more open to suggestion and so on, its the same idea as the swinging watch, distraction.

Certainly, I was just surprised to see you so categorically state the mechanism of hypnosis in the frequently used but (as far as I am aware) utterly exaggerated terms of 'logical' and 'emotional' cerebral hemispheres, as it's a pretty wooly NewAgey concept and you seem from your other posts quite sceptical. I'm not sure where 'the more susceptible part of the brain' is either.

I suppose...

Its becuase I have an engineering background and I know when someone is taking liberties by claiming to be able to magnetise water or has found some new insight into time travel and can prove it on the back of an envelope.
Psychology isn't my subject so my bullshit detector isnt as finely tuned.

Cat registered as hypnotherapist

The regulation of hypnotherapists in the UK is so lax that even a cat can become accredited, the BBC has found.

Chris Jackson, presenter of Inside Out in the North East and Cumbria, registered pet George with three industry bodies.

Each one accepted a certificate from the non-existent Society of Certified Advanced Mind Therapists as proof of George's credentials.

It follows a similar investigation by an American clinical psychologist.

Dr Steve Eichel suspected industry bodies in the US were not running checks on their members.

He said: "I felt I'd test my hypothesis and I did that by getting my cat certified by a number of the most prominent lay hypnosis organisations in the United States. It was a frighteningly simple process."

In the UK, George was registered with the British Board of Neuro Linguistic Programming (BBNLP), the United Fellowship of Hypnotherapists (UFH) and the Professional Hypnotherapy Practitioner Association (PHPA).

The UFH welcomed the Inside Out investigation and admitted the mistake, which it said has since been corrected.

A PHPA spokesman said the organisation makes great effort to ensure every applicant is a fully-qualified hypnotherapist.

The BBNLP said it exists only to provide benefits to its members, not to check or certify credentials.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/8303126.stm

Many moons ago I was suffering from depression, and I visited a hypnotherapist. With hindsight, it was obvious the man was an arsehole - he left me feeling worse than before. If I hadn't been so depressed, I'd have asked for my money back! :(

In fact, now I'm pretty sure that a session with the cat George would have been far more beneficial!
:twisted:

Hypnotist jailed after sexually assaulting woman he placed in a trance

A hypnotherapist was jailed today for sexually assaulting a woman he placed into a trance.

Stephen Barker, 61, began treating the 31-year-old victim for weight loss confidence issues in October 2008 when he started to ask about her sex life while she was hypnotised.

Over a series of ten weekly sessions Barker, who is married, became increasingly suggestive, telling her to remove her top and touch her own breasts.

Finally he asked her to remove her top and fondled her breast, before pulling down her trousers and putting his hand in her knickers on December 18 2008, the court heard.

The shocked woman snapped out of the trance and fled the scene at his practice in Hardwick, Cambs., feeling 'ashamed and embarrassed'.

She only discovered he was behaving inappropriately after typing the question 'Is it normal for my therapist to touch me?' into the Yahoo search engine.

Barker, of Harwich, Essex, was jailed for 10 months at Cambridge Crown Court today after admitting one count of sexual touching at an earlier hearing.

He was also placed on the sex offenders' register for 10 years.

Andrew Howarth, prosecuting, told the court at the victim's ninth hypnosis session on December 9 2008 he pressured the woman to pull up her top and play with her breasts while under hypnosis.

Barker, who ran West Cambridge Hypnotherapy in Hardwick, had told the woman a 'sexual matter was at the route of her problems'.

As the visits went on her told the woman she 'she needed to express past emotions' and began complementing her on her appearance after asking her to wear a skirt.

Mr Howarth said: 'Barker said it was natural for her to become aroused when recalling such incidents.

'Barker told her touching herself "heightened her emotional sensations" and began asking sexual questions.

'He told her it was for her own good and asked her to touch her own breasts.

'She refused and he then used his left hand to stroke her breast and held it there for over a minute.

'He told her "Yes you like this. Does it feel nice?".

'He then used his free hand to remove her trousers and knickers and began to rub her.'

Barker then told her 'relax, open your legs, enjoy it' before she snapped out of her hypnotised state and realised what was happening.

He then said 'we could have had sex but I wanted to keep it professional at the moment' before she fled the scene.

After three months of 'worrying' she finally contacted Cambridgeshire Police to report the incident in late January 2009 after checking normal procedures on the internet.

When questioned by police Barker told them: 'The woman started to masturbate but there was nothing I could do to stop it.'

Barker, wearing a blue woollen jumper, was tearful and shaking visibly as Judge Anthony Bate told him he would leave the court 'in disgrace'.

Judge Bate said: 'You gained the trust of a vulnerable woman. She was your patient who you were there to help, not abuse, when she submitted herself to hypnotherapy.

'You crossed the boundary and despite your own difficulties you leave this court in disgrace and invariably in custody.'

Lindsay Cox, mitigating, said Barker was 'genuinely remorseful' and had been struggling with the break-up of his marriage at the time of the assault.

His brother had also been placed on a life support machine following a motorbike accident.

He said Barker had 'become extremely fond of the lady and had believed in a degree of reciprocation' in the weeks leading up to the assault.

He added that during hypnosis 'one retains ultimate control of their actions and they do not become helpless automatons or lose awareness of what happens to them'.

Barker qualified as a hypnotherapist in 1998 and described his sessions, which cost between £40 and £80, as a 'non-addictive power for good'.

:shock:

i'm seriously considering hypnosis for pain control,
has anyone here got personal experience of it and would you recommend it?

thanks in advance

TimBuck2 said:

thanks in advance

No.

But I know several people who would be of a sceptical frame of mind and swear that accupuncture works for them.

There seem to be less quacks involved in accupuncture.

I have been working with some hypno tapes myself by a guy named Dick Sutphen, some of them are ok some of them don't really do much for me...

I found that one night just listening to the sound of a heartbeat and deep breathing was able to put me into a decent trance state of meditation

I have never been good with visualization either and have rarely had much more then lights, symbols and some faces going from facing the other way to turning around and facing me.

My wife on the other hand one night seen tree tops panning along like she was in a car on a ride through the forest. One night while doing the meditations in a previous residence that we believed to be haunted she felt a body or chins press up against her feet hanging off the bed.

She complains about feet and hands throbbing and feeling like they are on fire whenever we listen to the past life hypno stuff...

I read in a book that these are chakras blockage and often causes these sensations...

Oddly enough I once ventured into a spiritual store looking for a flute and some quartz when I was having a vacation with family. All week I kept walking past it and feeling like I wanted to go in but it was never open. The day I was leaving I seen it was open so I pulled into the store and walked inside, my wife just stayed in the car. I spent a matter of maybe 5 minutes in the store conversing with a woman who was the owner of the store and behind the counter like a store clerk. She was telling me that the previous city she lived in people were on a witch hunt for her and started asking me quite a bit of questions myself. I remember being offended by her inquiries into me, my personal life and that I should get a past life regression hypno from her... I told her no but she kept pressing the matter. I bought what I was lookiing for and on the way home I had the worst pressing headache for at least 2 hours which was most of the drive home. When I thought more on the fact that I thought she had had something to do with it, I started concentrating myself on the fact that she had no control over me, my mind or state of being and soon the pressure was gone.... it was wierd and has never happened since, i rarely get headaches aside when im stressed and let all the blood go to my head from putting internal pressure up there lol

TimBuck2 said:

thanks in advance

Hey Tim, I would say give it a try. Or try some visualization techniques yourself (it would be cheaper).

When I was young, we used to visit chain-smoking family members at Christmas. Between the sugar, the smoke, the noise and excitement, I would get terrible headaches on the long drive home.

I don't know where I got the idea from, but I would visualize a net (like a fishing net) slowly sweeping through my head, taking the pain away. It worked.

I grew up with a dad who took us fishing all the time, so visualizing a net to remove a headache made sense to me. I could see it happening, because I'd often seen the way a net could pull a restless, unwilling fish out of the water.

If you want to try it, try to find a visualization that makes sense for you. Since it sounds like you have to deal with pain all the time, you may already know how to self-hypnotize yourself. It takes a lot of focus to function with pain.

Self-Hypnosis Benefits Children And Teens With Tourette Syndrome
13 Jul 2010

A new study of children and adolescents with Tourette Syndrome finds that self-hypnosis taught with the aid of videotape training reduced their symptoms and improved their quality of life.

Seventy-nine percent of the 33 research participants achieved enough improvement in tic control to report personal satisfaction with the technique, according to the study published online in the July issue of the Journal of Development and Behavioral Pediatrics. This is the largest case series of patients with Tourette Syndrome treated with self-hypnosis. The authors, Jeffrey Lazarus, M.D., and Susan K. Klein, M.D., Ph.D., were with University Hospitals Rainbow Babies & Children's Hospital and the Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine at the time of the study.

Subjects were shown video clips of a young boy with Tourette Syndrome before, during, and after his self-hypnosis training. Following that, each child or teen in the study was taught self-hypnosis in individual sessions. The participants ranged in age from 6 to 19 years, with an average of 13 years.

The research subjects also were assigned to practice the self-hypnosis technique three times a day and homework to answer questions designed to increase their awareness of tics and how they felt about experiencing them. All of the research participants had motor tics and three had verbal tics in their initial evaluations.

According to Dr. Lazarus, self-hypnosis helps the patient experience a state of mind that combines relaxation with concentration on a desired point of focus while other thoughts or feelings fade into the background.

"Once the patient is in his or her highly focused 'special place,' work is then done on controlling the tic," said Dr. Lazarus. "We ask the patient to imagine the feeling right before that tic occurs and to put up a stop sign in front of it, or to imagine a tic switch that can be turned on and off like a light switch. Further suggestions are made, including encouraging the patient to invent his or her own images."

Almost all of the participants experienced a dramatic increase in tic control after only a few sessions: 12 after two sessions, 13 after only three visits, and one after four visits.

Dr. Lazarus says that this non-pharmacological therapy for tics is attractive because the medications that are used to treat tics can be associated with undesirable side effects. Also, physicians are reluctant to prescribe medications for mild or moderate tic disorders, which many children often outgrow as they get older.

"This case series suggests that self-hypnosis might be able to be taught effectively in fewer sessions than another technique known as habit reversal, but we'll need to study this further. However, the use of videotape as a teaching aid presents several advantages: It can help standardize the technique of teaching the method, it may shorten the length of time needed to teach the technique, and it makes the technique more accessible to younger children. Viewing a series of videotapes of another patient gives patients the reassurance that they are not the only ones in the world with this problem, and it gives them hope and the motivation that they can take control of their bodies and life challenges," said Dr. Lazarus.

Dr. Lazarus is now in California in private practice, specializing in clinical hypnosis. Dr. Klein is retired from practice.

Source: University Hospitals Case Medical Center

Article URL: http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/194494.php

Hypnotist David Days knocked out during Dorset show

Three people were left hypnotised on stage when a hypnotist knocked himself out during a show in Dorset.
David Days was performing at Portland's Royal Manor Theatre on Friday when he tripped over a participant's leg.
His team could not rouse him and the audience was asked to leave while the people were still "asleep" on stage.
They were "woken up" soon after when Mr Days recovered. His manager said the performer has a voice recording which can be used to bring people round.

The hypnotist later wrote on his Facebook page: "I would just like to let my fans know that I am completely fine.
"A little bruised, but that's all. Thanks for your support tonight, it was a great show with some great volunteers."
Mr Days, who has hypnotised members of the pop band Blue on television, did not require hospital treatment, his manager Tara Nix said.
She added: "He was out for a little while and that is why we asked the audience to leave.
"Three people were left on stage but we always have a back-up tape and a back-up hypnotist to step in if needed.
"Luckily, it wasn't too long until he recovered and he and the guests are fine.
"To be honest I think this is the first time it has ever happened to a hypnotist."

Audience member Fiona Faye said: "He was pulled from stage and there was loads of commotion from a number of people backstage including one man who ran to the other side of the stage to get a first aid kit.
"At first the audience, including us, found it very funny and thought it was part of the act, but as time went on we began to realise that it was not part of the show and he had actually hurt himself.

"At this point we become very worried not only for David Days but also the guests that were onstage oblivious to anything as they were still hypnotised.
"They simply just sat there 'asleep'."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-13653944

Not getting sleepy? Stanford research explains why hypnosis doesn't work for all

STANFORD, Calif. — Not everyone is able to be hypnotized, and new research from the Stanford University School of Medicine shows how the brains of such people differ from those who can easily be.

The study, published in the October issue of Archives of General Psychiatry, uses data from functional and structural magnetic resonance imaging to identify how the areas of the brain associated with executive control and attention tend to have less activity in people who cannot be put into a hypnotic trance.

"There's never been a brain signature of being hypnotized, and we're on the verge of identifying one," said David Spiegel, MD, the paper's senior author and a professor of psychiatry and behavioral sciences. Such an advance would enable scientists to understand better the mechanisms underlying hypnosis and how it can be used more widely and effectively in clinical settings, added Spiegel, who also directs the Stanford Center for Integrative Medicine.

Spiegel estimates that one-quarter of the patients he sees cannot be hypnotized, though a person's hypnotizability is not linked with any specific personality trait. "There's got to be something going on in the brain," he said.

Hypnosis is described as a trance-like state during which a person has a heightened focus and concentration. It has been shown to help with brain control over sensation and behavior, and has been used clinically to help patients manage pain, control stress and anxiety and combat phobias.

Hypnosis works by modulating activity in brain regions associated with focused attention, and this study offers compelling new details regarding neural capacity for hypnosis.

"Our results provide novel evidence that altered functional connectivity in [the dorsolateral prefrontal cortex] and [the dorsal anterior cingulate cortex] may underlie hypnotizability," the researchers wrote in their paper.

For the study, Spiegel and his Stanford colleagues performed functional and structural MRI scans of the brains of 12 adults with high hypnotizability and 12 adults with low hypnotizability.

The researchers looked at the activity of three different networks in the brain: the default-mode network, used when one's brain is idle; the executive-control network, which is involved in making decisions; and the salience network, which is involved in deciding something is more important than something else.

The findings, Spiegel said, were clear: Both groups had an active default-mode network, but highly hypnotizable participants showed greater co-activation between components of the executive-control network and the salience network. More specifically, in the brains of the highly hypnotizable group the left dorsolateral prefrontal cortex, an executive-control region of the brain, appeared to be activated in tandem with the dorsal anterior cingulate cortex, which is part of the salience network and plays a role in focusing of attention. By contrast, there was little functional connectivity between these two areas of the brain in those with low hypnotizability.

Spiegel said he was pleased that he and his team found something so clear. "The brain is complicated, people are complicated, and it was surprising we were able to get such a clear signature," he explained.

Spiegel also said the work confirms that hypnotizability is less about personality variables and more about cognitive style. "Here we're seeing a neural trait," he said.

The authors' next step is to further explore how these functional networks change during hypnosis. Spiegel and his team have recruited high- and low-hypnotizable patients for another study during which fMRI assessment will be done during hypnotic states. Funding for that work is being provided by the National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine.

SOURCE: http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/ ... 100312.php

I was hypnotised once in therapy. I was pretty skeptical but also nervous about being 'put under'. I remember feeling very deeply relaxed and did actually have a sense of falling under hypnosis at a specific point indicated by the hypnotist - I think he snapped his fingers after counting down, but I was fully conscious and aware of everything around me. I even remember thinking "hey this is weird, I'm hypnotised" and giggling but then listening as the guy droned on and thinking "This is a load of rubbish, I wish he would shut up!" It did not work on me therapeutically but I guess I was hypnotised. There were points where he asked me to do things like open my eyes then close them and I felt as though I wasn't in control of the actions, but it was nothing like the all out trance I imagined it would be. I still felt in control and wouldn't have done anything I didn't want to.

Criminal Hypnosis

Is there a specific thread for "Hypnosis in Crime"?

I did some cursory searches of the forum and found this thread as well as these that I thought might be a good place to post this news link:

Strange Crimes
http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13684

Derren Brown: Master mind manipulator
http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=386

Shopkeeper 'placed in trance by hypnotist' during theft in north London
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/mo ... 04960.html

I know I've read about such incidents within the pages of FT before and I'd love to find a thread repository for such stories.

Thanks.

- SMiles Lewis

Apologise if there's already a thread about this ...

I was wondering if anyone else has seen hypnotism failures ? ..

Years ago, me and the ex went to a hypnotist show in Blackpool, the showman picked about 5 people and seemed to put them under. They were made to do the usual "now you can't separate your hands, now you're walking like a chicken" etc etc ..

One young girl was targeted especially for the more uncomfortable stuff .. she was told that all of us watching in the room were naked and wandered around us with a shocked face. Then she was told to walk up to the bloke she though was the best looking and chat him up ... she wandered over to a senior citizen and did just that to gasps and laughter from the audience ... and so on.

The problem was, after he brought the others 'back', she definitely was still under the influence to the point that the audience were rubber necking as we all walked out .. the showman was still trying to 'snap her out of it' so to speak.

We forgot about it until the next day when we were wandering around a tourist attraction and saw her again with her parents ... the look on her face and in her eyes was haunting, I'm sure she still wasn't 'there' ... the tourist attraction was an aquarium so not exactly a stress full place.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure there is a thread on hypnotism that includes stories like your own, it's certainly ringing a bell or two with me. Just like there are those on whom it doesn't really work, there must be the opposite end of the spectrum where it damages certain people's thought processes. Permanently?

Oh yeah, and there's the old joke about the woman who visits the doctor to tell him her husband thinks he's a chicken. The doc invites him in for treatment and the woman says she would, but they need the eggs. Many a true word spoken in jest.

Apologise if there's already a thread about this ...
I was wondering if anyone else has seen hypnotism failures ? ..

The posts addressing hypnotism failures have been merged into this thread after 2015.

Last edited:
Back