• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

I Believe I Can Fly! (Dangerous Drug Delusions; Acid Casualties)

I once had a cartoon monk sit next to me and explain what life was all about.

That's not an LSD story, you just get really strange people round my way.

Weird Trips

Once, oh so long ago (alright about 15 yrs) Iwas with some friends and we all took two red tablets (not sure what they were but apparently had a delayed reaction of about an hour to kick in.)

Anyways. Because i wasn't getting any reaction to this I took another 3. Later, we went to an amusement centre in the city centre (cardiff) where they had some pool tables. my mates started playing a couple of tables away and as i turned to watch, i noticed one of the tables was playing itself (one side was cheating, mind you). Later, the balls started flying around the room.

About all I can remember after that was a ball about the size of a space hopper bouncing after me , crying "Cue ball"

Mind you, I once took some acid and almost managed to think myself out of existence (I don't think therefore I'm not):eek!!!!:

posted by the bitch (not 'er indoors).

Fallen Angel said:
Um...not to expose too much personal information, but no. An E high (or X or extasy) is (1) not nearly as long lived as an acid or mushie trip and (2) much more mild. I always thought of X as a "fluffy" drug, e.g. one that you'd have to try hella hard to have a bad trip. On a more specific note, I never felt any of the heightened sensory aspects that sometimes accompany getting stoned with acid or mushrooms, but most definitely did on X.

An aceed followed by a half E every couple of hours does the job nicely. so i'm told.

Regarding orange juice and tripping:

It is a well known stoner trick to have some orange juice or any sort of cold sweet drink (Coca-Cola, etc.) handy if you tend to get paranoid and peaky during trips. THC causes your blood sugar to drop (hence the munchies) and for some people like me this can be quite disorienting and cause the paranoia for which cannabis is infamous. This is why most of the coffeeshops in Amsterdam offer fresh-squeezed OJ. The bitamin C content also helps in reducing the overall peakiness of any high, which is why one of the common shroom preparations is to grind up dried shrooms and place them in a glass of OJ and drink.

My brain gets all rubbery on THC, and tends to plunge me too deep within myself too quickly for me to tolerate it. I have taken shrooms once, acid a handful of times, but never enough to really say I saw much.

DXM, however is a drug with which I do have a reasonable amount of experience. For those of you not in the know, DXM is the active ingredient in cough syrup (dextromethorphan hybromide). It is a disassociative anesthetic similar in action to ketamine and PCP. It produces several different levels of intoxication, referred to as plateaus, that vary in symptoms depending on the amount taken and to a great degree how quickly the doses are taken.

I have taken DXM in cough syrup preparations (yes, it is nasty) and I have used an extraction method that removes the dextromethorphan from its hybromide salt, also extracting the glucose and coloring that are used in the syrup. DXM is a very powerful and interesting drug that allows you to slip away from your body, or at least significantly reduce your awareness of it, so you can float about inside your own mind unencumbered by awareness of your body.

I have had the most interesting visions on DXM, the most recent one (this one actually being a combination of DXM and THC) being a vision of current human communication as a series of nerve cells connected by ganglia, connected yet still in a fundamental way seperate, much like internet communication. I envisioned this world in cool blue. At the same time, I envisioned the older more natural man in an african savannah, more closely connected with the earth, and the communication network I saw there was in the form of hexagons, each side directly touching all the other sides, and the network appearing in a very warm yellow/orange.

After this vision, I saw a field of mottled deep purple and blue, like a sea. In this sea came what looked to be a seed pod, but I was immediately aware that it was a ship of some kind. Out of the ship came this being with a helmet-like head with large black eyes and thick tentacles for locomotion. It floated towards me and looked at me. I got a vision of the little bushman from the film The Gods Must Be Crazy! as a sitting meditative figure glowing in the same yellow/orange light I saw in the african savannah. The two creatures communicated on an extremely basic level with no words or signs, yet both seemed to understand each other in a very fundamental way. Then, both of the beings began to ascend, up up and up and out of my awareness.

After this (I was laying down in bed in darkness listening to the electronic music of Higher Intelligence Agency's CD Freefloater by the by) I turned on my side and imagined my head growing a lattice of hexagons that made up my skull, and all the thoughts going in and out of my mind were pulsations of energy going through the hexagonal lattice.

It was an extremely peaceful and beautiful feeling, so far the best trip of my life.......

Mm, LSD.

One evening at Reading Festival, a bunch of us dropped some "barrels" (really strong microdots) and, just as the effects started kicking in, I felt a tapping on my shoulder. It was my friend trying to get my attention.

"Got a cigarette?" He asked.

Struggling to master my failing motor skills, I managed to extract one from the pack in my pocket, and then we abandoned ourselves to the drug and spent the night wandering through the campsite, perceiving it as some sort of Mad Max-style post-nuclear wasteland (smoke, stragglers, scrub, etc.)

Eight hours later, dawn broke and the illusion started to fade (it is essentially a Berkshire leisure centre, after all). We realised we were coming down. Until recently I'd been pretty much insensible, but gradually I became aware of a tapping on my shoulder which must have been going on for some time. I turned around to see this same friend, with a battered and bent unlit cigarette hanging out of his lips.

"Got a light...?" He asked.

(Edit: stop me if you've heard this one before. I might start an anecdotal section on my website called "I was a teenage acid bunny", just so I can keep track of the stories I tell...)

can us modern teenage triphead people also post on it? (us being me and - him, there)

In the interests of maintaining legal anonymity for your own safety I'm not sure! I'll try and put something together and then get back to yer ;)

ah, I don't have many very exciting stories anyhow. Perhaps the way that the interiors of the omnibuses seem to have been designed by god in the colour scheme.

Dunno if it was acid, but she was on summit...

Glastonbury, '89. I forget which night it was (possibly the first one): it was about 3 in the AM and me and the GF were out cold in the tent (Cock Mill Meadow, if memory -and the programme site plan- serves) when someone falls on top of me, nearly bringing down the tent on top of me and the GF, and just lay there on the outside of the tent, alternately giggling and moaning.

So I dragged myself out of the tent to take a look, and there's this wee lass -18 or 19- apparently stoned out of her gourd, and incapable of extricating herself from the side of the tent and navigating the guy ropes at the same time. "Uh oh, she's in no fit state to be out on her own", I thinks. She peered up at me and inquired if I knew where her mates were. Not having a scooby who the hell she was, I told her no, but offered to help her look for them.

"Is their tent near any obvious landmarks?" I asked; "Near trees, a bit of fence, down towards the portaloos, anything to help narrow the search down a bit?"

She told me there was nothing, so I figured the best course was to get her up on a path and follow it until she saw someone who recognized her (I didn't hold out much hope for her recognizing anyone else). So we wandered about for about an hour, away from the trees between Big Ground what the site plan says was the kid's area (but which I seem to recall being where the cinema screen was located) at first because she'd indicated that she didn't think there were any trees near her mates' tent, but eventually we headed down that way.

Then she stops dead in her tracks and lets out a squeal of recognition: "There they are! I remember that fridge-freezer!"

Middle of a field, in the middle of what is effectively a bloody enormous temporary shanty town of tents, right next to a small stand of trees, and there's this 7 foot tall fridge freezer and a power generator. And she said there were no real landmarks near her mates' tent... :headbutt:

Is it just me: do I expect too much from people? he asked in a plaintive tone.

I used to think that bad trips was something that they made up to keep you from taking the stuff but I know better now.
Quite a few years ago some botter acid was making its way through our school. I think most of us tried it and got our socks knocked off. My friend Mark gave some to his friend and told him how powerful it was. The friend took about 4 hits drove to his girlfriends house, let himself in and looked around for her. Not being able to find her he took off most of his clothes walked into her parents bedroom and took a wiz on the bed. They jumped up and freaked, he ran down the hall and ran right through a sliding glass door. He had cuts all over his face and body, a bloddy mess. The sick thing was we didn't stop taking the stuff, we just cut them in half. EVIL STUFF and full of strychnine.

Matthew said:
he took off most of his clothes

walked into her parents bedroom and took a wiz on the bed.

ran right through a sliding glass door

full of strychnine.

Are we having a competition to fit the most ULs in one post?

.... and peeled his hand like an orange then jumped out the window!

lol

the following story, having been reported in newspapers, is in the public domain. Still, names have been changed.

in the late 60's two friends were tripping off the radar and got to the top of Barras Bridge, a 6 story part of Newcastle Uni. Only one came down the stairs.

the survivor, Nick, reported to the Police that he had joked "We can fly" when his pal launched himself off the edge to his death on the road below. The papers reported an acid fuelled suicide pact, but Nick insisted it was a joke gone horribly wrong.

Nick, who left town after the tragedy, re-emerged some years later as right hand man to Guru Bagwan Bagwash, of Rolls Royce and Rolex fame. The tales of kidnapping, attempted murder and extortion in their valley in Northern USA surrounding that group of spirituals belongs on the Conspiracy thread. Stopped just short of a Wako experience with FBI, CIA and FDTA involvement.

back OT, a mate of mine going through a spectacular class A phase was caught by his wife scraping his arm with a sharp knife to rid himself of the 'beetles' crawling up his arm. That was a 48 hour Cocain jag.

and finally, I've seen more psychosis from abuse of coke and speed than from halucianagenics.

rave safe, kids.

carole said:
There was a TV documentary not so long ago, postulating that ergot was the cause of the things seen by the girls who made the accusations in the Salem Witch trials.

Carole

Along similar lines:

Witches were ergot poisoned

Av Carin Pettersson 09.02.04 13:05, ny 09.02.04 17:25

A botanist at the University of Tromsø claims the women who were burned alive as witches in Finnmark may have gotten hallucinations after eating a fungus.

The women, who were sentenced for witchcraft in northern Norway during the 1600s, admitted to both witchcraft and contact with dark forces. They may have been poisoned by ergot, the first stage of a parasite fungus which among other things led to severe hallucinations, cramps and gangrene, according to the university paper Tromsøflaket.

Food and drink
Torbjørn Alm, botanist and associate professor, presented the theory in a newly published article in the international trade magazine BioOne.

Alm has studied documents from a number of the witch hunts during the 1600s in Finnmark. According to Alm, the documents states that the women who were accused of having taught witchcraft after they had ingested ergot, most common in the form of bread or other flour products but also by drinking beer or milk.

Finnmark only
Alm has also read documents which indicate that the accused witches claimed to have seen small, black things (ergot) in that looked like grains in their drinks. It is also established that winter rye is often attacked by ergot. Ergot poisoning does not only produce hallucinations, but also cramps and gangrene. The symptoms are allegedly described in the same documents.

According to Tromsøflaket, it is unique for Finnmark that the women did not get their knowledge of witchcraft by studying old traditions, but through food and drink. Most of the women found guilty of witchcraft were of Norwegian decent who lived along the coast where imported flour was a part of diet. All the flour that was available in Finnmark on the later part of the 1600s was imported, and rug which often was attacked by ergot, was the majority of the flour imported, according to Tromsøflaket.

http://pub.tv2.no/nettavisen/english/article184118.ece

KRYPTONITE

Dan Kelly:

Gold kryptonite, of course!
Red kryptonite made Superman strange for short periods.

On another tangent, we were told (wya back then in high-school) that LSD apparently confused the receivers in the brain (?), so that the input of your senses was screwed about. The traditional phrase was "you can see sound and hear light". Any truth in that?

This seems to be a cautionary UL in desparate need of punching up for the new millenium. If I were writing it, it would probably go something like this;

"AP- The body of Leonard Bronkawitz, AKA "Autumn Twilight" was recovered today by search and rescue workers in the desert outside of Santa Fe, NM. Sources say Bronkawitz apparently hiked out into the desert, ate a fistfull of mushrooms, violently puked into his didgerydoo, and passed out face down in a bowl of henna bodypaint he had apparently placed nearby. He drowned in it, but not before sustaining a truly horrendous sunburn. Local authorities declined to comment, but were noticeably laughing up their sleeves."

A much more real danger than thinking one can fly, I'd wager.

I had a freind who nearly jumped off a building after she took LSD

to be fair she had been given a big overdose. I imagine thats what causes such wild events.

Ergot is terrible. I read an article in a new age publication about it a few years back. in between the lines they were telling you how to process it...

Yikes!

Having said that, i have met people foolhardy or guillible enough to try it.

I used to know somebody who thought he could fly once after he took LSD. No spectacular tower block leaps though, he was just running up and down the high street with outstretched arms making whooshy 'aeroplane noises' (as he put it) :rolleyes:

My great gran always thought she could fly, apparently (I never met her).
Luckily she never tested out this theory by jumping off any buildings, but she was sure she could if she tried, she just never did. hehe. ;)

I have a theory about the jumping off buildings theory.When i used to dabble in th happy fungus with my pals we would forever be climbing onto derelict mill roofs,up pylons,hanging off scaffolding,falling off dodgey paths in the woods.After one such event when me and just one pal were quite far removed we managed to get up a rusty old fire escape which was hanging off th wall,up about 6 storeys.All was fine with the wobbly world as we sat on an unsecured huge stone slab right at the edge and on th corner of the roof.We sat there drinking whiskey and smoking our happy fags and laughing like drains from about 2am until 4am..a long time to be sat there at any rate.When I passed there the next day i was struck with the thought that if we had fallen off there(and it still makes me cringe to think we could have) the headlines would most surely have read 'Drugged up bird men attempt late night flight unaided' the post mortem would have revealed our supposed jet fuel plain as the nose torn from our faces

last time i took acid i spent 6 hours wiping my arse in the belief i had in fact shit myself everytime i sat down. never had the urge to fly though.

On the subject of kids thinking they can fly, I seem to recall this article...

Turkish health minister warns against Pokemon cartoon
November 25, 2000
Web posted at: 9:13 PM EST (0213 GMT)

ISTANBUL, Turkey (AP) -- Turkey's health minister urged TV stations Saturday to replace Pokemon cartoons with other children's programs after a 7-year-old girl jumped off a balcony apparently believing she was a Pokemon character with superhuman powers.

Seda Aykanat, who launched herself off her fifth-floor balcony Friday and broke her leg, was the second Turkish child to jump off a balcony apparently to imitate Pokemon characters -- cartoon animals with special powers. Earlier, a 4-year-old boy sustained injuries after a similar jump.

Health Minister Osman Durmus had already asked ministry experts to study the effect of the Pokemon cartoon on children. The experts concluded Friday that the cartoon distanced children from reality, confused them by presenting both "good and bad heroes," and desensitized them to violence, daily Hurriyet reported Saturday.

The ministry experts said the popularity of the cartoon and trading cards should be discouraged, but that they should not be banned since this could further attract children to the products, daily Hurriyet reported.

"Putting the cartoon put off the air all of a sudden could lead to serious problems," Durmus said Saturday. "Televisions must over a period of time make (children) forget the cartoon."

The Pokemon phenomenon originated in Japan three years ago as a Nintendo Game Boy game. It quickly expanded into cartoons, comic books and trading cards, becoming a multibillion dollar enterprise and enjoying enormous popularity.

Spokesmen at Nintendo of America in Redmond, Washington, were not available for comment Saturday.

Apparently the Pokemon they thought they were was a Pidgey *shakes head* Children are stupid, really.

chockfullahate said:
last time i took acid i spent 6 hours wiping my arse in the belief i had in fact shit myself everytime i sat down. never had the urge to fly though.

HAHA, you know I had forgotten that side effect, it used to happen a lot when I took E, would have to go to the toilets in the club after farting cos I thought I crapped my pants.

Madness :)

I'm not sure if this is slightly off-topic, 'cause this isn't a drug story, but what the hell.

I have bipolar disorder (manic depression) and tend to hallucinate from time to time. I also get euphoric ('high'... manic in other words) from time to time without the need for drugs. I've always been too scared to take hallucinogens 'cause my brain does strange enough things to me without needing to induce it chemically....*LOL*

Anyway, I used to live in a house on a hill. One time when manic I was looking out of my window to the hill opposite my house and I thought that if I stepped out the window I could reach the other hill in just one stride (even though it was on the other side of a golf course - quite a distance away). Fortunately I realised just how rediculous that idea was and didn't actually do it. But at the time I was thinking it, I felt like I had superpowers and could do just about anything.

And it was actually that which convinced me that something was wrong with me, even though I didn't know what not having been diagnosed yet. (Oddly enough being stalked by aliens, hearing voices, seeing faces in the walls etc etc wasn't enough to make me think anything was wrong....*LOL*) A few days later I ended up sedated in the Emergency Room, but that's another story.

A couple of months ago, I was sure that there was someone in my house when I knew I was alone, and I kept seeing someone walking up and down my hallway. Freaked me out, even though I KNEW it must be a hallucination. Logically I knew that no-one could be in the house without the dogs making a fuss - no-one can, even family. But I was still scared and had a hard time keeping it together.

Anyway, the point is, sometimes I know I'm hallucinating and I can just ignore it or sort of over-ride the crazy thoughts, but other times I really do believe in my 'alternate reality'. It's only later I can look back and go "what was I thinking?"

Just thought I'd mention I'm not like this all the time... it happens in episodes. The rest of the time I'm as normal as anyone else. Well sort of....*LOL*

Actually from what I know about the link between drugs and mental illness is that there are two things. One is that people are trying to self-medicate whatever is wrong with them with what they have available, and this is suprisingly common.

The other is that doctors say that some drugs can trigger a mental illness due to an underlying heritary factor. Many mental illnesses are now either proven or believed to be heriditary (bipolar runs in my family for example), but just because you inherit the genes for it doesn't mean that you will develop the illness. Something sets it off. The theory is that halllucinogenic drugs can set off psychotic illness in susceptible people.

Lad from my chemistry class, after he left school was high on glue and jumped off a multi story car park, must've been about '89. I used to share a bunsen burner with this kid. He left at 16, I stayed on, didn't see him again but teachers and other kids told what had happened - survived, apparently, but sustained brain damage.

Again another dodgy "fact" someone told me that cannabis is stored in fat cells. If you have ingested cannabis, given it up, then decide to lose some weight, you can then experience a high, even after some time. Dunno I supposed to be a MH professional. I'll check this out. Something I do know beware of taking truck loads of vitamins, particularly those that are fat soluble, much harder for the body to get rid of than water soluble vits. See Sach's (the fame-seeking neurologist), introduction in his book, "The man who mistook his wife for a hat", about people who fused their spinal cords during the mega-vit craze of the 80's.

I not a rabid anti-drug person but I know from experience that in Mental Health in-patient settings if somebody scores any cannabis and shares it around, the whole ward rocks. Paranoia is rife, people's voices become louder and crueler, bad delusions become harder to handle- a nasty business. Cannabis ain't the innocent little drug people think it is. Anyone experiencing mental health problems, who take street drugs should stop the street drugs. Mind you the prescribed medication/drugs can be just as damaging. But thats another story.

The death of Art Linkletter's daughter, supposedly under the influence of LSD, looms large as a prime example of the danger of the drug. But was it really the drug? Listen to this detail concerning the mysterious death of actress Carol Wayne (notable as Peter Sellar's girlfriend in Blake Edward's The Party):

http://www.tvparty.com/wayne.html
In 1984 a thin, pale Carol Wayne declared bankruptcy due in large part to a cocaine and alcohol problem. It was said the entertainer was reduced to being an occasional escort for wealthy businessmen in order to make a living.

According to published reports, Carol Wayne was on vacation in Santiago Bay, Mexico with Los Angeles car salesman Edward Durston on January 10, 1985 when (it has been reported) the couple had a argument about where they were going to stay that evening (they were scheduled to fly back to Los Angeles the next morning).

Durston checked into a hotel and Wayne reportedly left to walk down the beach (to cool off?). That was the last time anyone saw her alive. Local fisherman Abel de Dios found her limp body floating in the shallow bay waters three days later.

Mexican authorities wondered how Carol Wayne came to drown in waters four feet deep, fully clothed. There were no cuts or abrasions, so a fall from the nearby rocks was ruled out. The coroner stated that death occurred 3 - 4 days earlier and the body tested negative for drugs and alcohol.

Suspicions were raised: Carol Wayne had to be identified by workers at the Las Hadas resort where the couple had been staying earlier in the week. When locals went to look for Wayne's traveling companion, they discovered that Edward Durston checked out three days earlier - leaving Wayne's luggage at the airport with a message that she would pick up her bags in the morning.

Carol Wayne could not swim, and reportedly did not like to go too near the water. So how did she happen to be found dead in calm and shallow waters?

"Carol Wayne's death is unsolved, certainly," the U.S. Consular William LaCoque was quoted as saying in 1990. "But I don't think it was a drowning. A drowning, yes, of course, but there is much more to it than that." What more, we may never know.

As an aside, many readers may remember the LSD related death of Art Linkletter's daughter Diane. She jumped (or fell) from a sixth floor apartment building in 1969.

Art Linkletter basically ended his successful television career when he started crusading against drugs with a fervor that made it hard for middle America to find the afternoon talk show host funny anymore.

Not that it means anything (and I'm absolutely sure it doesn't), but Diane Linkletter's companion the night she was killed was Edward Durston.

The myths about psychedelics have remained pretty much the same since the 60`s, I wonder why, with all the research and all the people who have taken them, that they havent been debunked yet?
There is simply no physical way that lsd can make you think you are an organge, or peel your face off, unless you are allready have an affinity for the psychotic, or schizophrenic state of the mind, then surely any strong experience can trigger such illness or unfortunate events.
I myself have only taken LSD only once, but having taken over 200 trips on psilocibin in everything from level 1 trips(everything just gets lighter, more colourfull and giggly), to level 4 trips(having your ego torn to shreds, a feeling of omipotence, esp etc), I would say I`m "fine", and as a person with a cynical outlook on life, even a "badtrip" doesnt have to be bad, It can give you an enormous graditude to just be alive.
The halucinogenic properties of these substances are ofcourse dose specific, but speaking for myself it is rare to see anything but objects breathing or morphing, twisting or turning, or other "mild" visual phenomena as tracers etc
Granted I have seen more "incredible" things, but this is usually at a dosage that produces very uncomfortable "bodyload".
I am no psychedelic zealot , I am no Hippie, I`m not recomending this to everybody on planet earth, in fact a lot of people should stay away, these myths never cease to amuse me.

General erowid lsd info:
http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/lsd/lsd.shtml

Psilocibe/psilocibin information:
http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/lsd/lsd.shtml

General tryptamine info:(watchout wikipedia is userdefined, and has a lot of mistakes) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tryptamine

Back