• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

I found a weird aquatic animal: look at pics

I'm going to be honest and say that interpreting either of these photos as being anything animate doesn't seem like a particularly critical or well supported stance.

Excellently put.

...Personally, I think it's a glitch or artifact somewhere. Everything else seems blurred at that level, but the thing itself is quite sharp. I'm not very well up on computers or digital photos, but that doesn't look natural to me...

I was going to suggest that the ‘snake’ could be boat related debris – specifically, some sort of flexible ducting. The bend looks a bit abrupt and unnatural for a biological object – but looks like something you might expect to see in flexible ducting hose. (And the lump at the bottom end could be something that the ducting might have been attached to.)

But on a closer inspection, I think you could well be right – it does look a bit sharper than the rest of the detail in that image.

...I'm going to be honest and say that interpreting either of these photos as being anything animate doesn't seem like a particularly critical or well supported stance.

This.

I was thinking along the lines of some sort of ducting, or even packaging material, insulation - anything that can come in a roll or flexible cylinder form. Not convinced it's a snake...

I was thinking along the lines of some sort of ducting, or even packaging material, insulation - anything that can come in a roll or flexible cylinder form. Not convinced it's a snake...
I am thinking along those lines myself.

I was going to suggest that the ‘snake’ could be boat related debris – specifically, some sort of flexible ducting. ...

The debris interpretation is reinforced by the fact the 'snake-like object' seems to be linked with a mystery white dot on the surface - one of about a half-dozen such white dots scattered from the snake-object's position outward (from shore ... ) toward the northeast.

I was thinking along the lines of some sort of ducting, or even packaging material, insulation - anything that can come in a roll or flexible cylinder form.

Certainly not saying it's impossible but would have to be huge- look at the vehicles for comparison. Plus- even something white- at that distance and resolution isn't going to appear as bright and white as that. Therefore...I'm with Old Rover. Some sort of glitch with the photo. The internet is littered with pics of all manner of oddities on Google Earth caused by nothing other than the software.

Certainly not saying it's impossible but would have to be huge- look at the vehicles for comparison. Plus- even something white- at that distance and resolution isn't going to appear as bright and white as that. Therefore...I'm with Old Rover. Some sort of glitch with the photo. The internet is littered with pics of all manner of oddities on Google Earth caused by nothing other than the software.
Not huge. Probably around 15-20 feet long, if you compare it with the cars. If it was a snake, it would be pretty large (but not the biggest).

Not huge. Probably around 15-20 feet long, if you compare it with the cars. If it was a snake, it would be pretty large (but not the biggest).

No, not huge. I'd say about a car's length - which is pretty reasonable - and I've used flexible ducting of up to 150mm diameter, which I don't think would be particularly out of scale. (From what I can glean from the internet, the type generally sold for use in boats tends to be of a smaller diameter - but I've seen pictures which appear to show the bigger stuff being employed.)

That said, the more I look at the picture the more I think glitch.

whale's penis
{giggles and runs away [/shady]}

Big fat monkey's backside!!

Oh, sorry...I see what you mean. I thought for a moment it was just the point in the thread where we all start trading insults.

I am a believer that there are things in the waters of the world that have yet to be discovered...

I think it's important to point out that I doubt a single person here disagrees with this premise; when it boils down to the grit the issue is really about whether trawling Google Earth for apparent anomalies is an effective way of elucidating the proposition.

Last edited:
It's clearly a duct snake. Accelerated evolution has resulted in an aquatic reptile that is the same circumference its whole body due to living in discarded ducts like a hermit crab. </sarcasm>

Or it's yet another unidentifiable bit of colour in a low res pic.

I'm going to call the OP on their claimed occupation.

Back