• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Middlecoat

Vanished like an old oak table
My work takes me into people's homes. I can't help myself in old properties: Is it haunted ? I inquire.
On one occasion I visited a family in a location close to a ruined Abbey. The lady of the household recounted the time she was hanging her washing on the line when she was disturbed by a solid looking monk who grimaced at her from the bottom of the garden. She screamed, ran in, locked the door and hid under the kitchen table. She has since been the subject of her family's unfettered teasing. There have been no monks in the Abbey since Henry V111 ( or rather Cromwell) did away with them.

More recently I googled an address only to find it had been the scene of a tragic murder/suicide in 1887. The building had been converted into flats. I couldn't let that go. The family were not aware of the history of the site but reported that the old lady in the next flat kept waking up to find her slippers moved from the side of her bed to various other locations.

My work takes me into people's homes. I can't help myself in old properties: Is it haunted ? I inquire.
On one occasion I visited a family in a location close to a ruined Abbey. The lady of the household recounted the time she was hanging her washing on the line when she was disturbed by a solid looking monk who grimaced at her from the bottom of the garden. She screamed, ran in, locked the door and hid under the kitchen table. She has since been the subject of her family's unfettered teasing. There have been no monks in the Abbey since Henry V111 ( or rather Cromwell) did away with them.

More recently I googled an address only to find it had been the scene of a tragic murder/suicide in 1887. The building had been converted into flats. I couldn't let that go. The family were not aware of the history of the site but reported that the old lady in the next flat kept waking up to find her slippers moved from the side of her bed to various other locations.
Now I want to know which abbey it was! (I compulsively visit abbeys across the North of England - slightly work related as we sometimes do talks on them and would love to know more monkish ghost stories).

I did some research on a local murder from early Victorian times and the farmhouse concerned still stands but is now a touristy caravan park. Owners have ignored my requests for interviews lol. I've no way of knowing if they already knew the history of the house or not, though so it may have come as a shock. Also occurred to me they didn't want it publicising as they're trying to attract tourists there but I'd assume it might attract more tourists, not less, if they knew they were staying on a murder farm...

The murder was massively famous at the time but now totally forgotten about.

Now I want to know which abbey it was! (I compulsively visit abbeys across the North of England - slightly work related as we sometimes do talks on them and would love to know more monkish ghost stories).

I did some research on a local murder from early Victorian times and the farmhouse concerned still stands but is now a touristy caravan park. Owners have ignored my requests for interviews lol. I've no way of knowing if they already knew the history of the house or not, though so it may have come as a shock. Also occurred to me they didn't want it publicising as they're trying to attract tourists there but I'd assume it might attract more tourists, not less, if they knew they were staying on a murder farm...

In wild Welsh Wales but you are welcome to cross Offa's Dyke.....

I'm sceptical of someone's 'slippers being moved a bit' being attributable to something paranormal, someone reporting seeing a "solid monk" is worth looking into a bit further IMO.
I said 'various other locations' but my real point is that there is nothing better for breaking up the working day than a whiff of the (allegedly) paranormal.

I said 'various other locations' but my real point is that there is nothing better for breaking up the working day than a whiff of the (allegedly) paranormal.
I go on paranormal investigations myself as part of a team, I'm not at all closed minded to the paranormal ... having said that, I regularly find things I own in unexpected places but I put that down to tiredness and/or personal disorganisation. Most of us put slippers on then take them off not long before we to bed, when we're tired and our mind is on what we have to do tomorrow instead of focussing on where we've left our slippers. That's just not a priority at that time of night for anyone which would explain why slippers could be likely to not be where we thought we'd left them .. unless they end up being found on the roof of your house or somewhere else equally bizarre.

I go on paranormal investigations myself as part of a team, I'm not at all closed minded to the paranormal ... having said that, I regularly find things I own in unexpected places but I put that down to tiredness and/or personal disorganisation. Most of us put slippers on then take them off not long before we to bed, when we're tired and our mind is on what we have to do tomorrow instead of focussing on where we've left our slippers. That's just not a priority at that time of night for anyone which would explain why slippers could be likely to not be where we thought we'd left them .. unless they end up being found on the roof of your house or somewhere else equally bizarre.
I know but you'll have to forgive me being easily distracted from my day job with tea, biscuits and a random slipper story.

peregrinating slippers are perfectly normal if you have a cat or a dog. Or a ghostly cat or dog

On one occasion I visited a family in a location close to a ruined Abbey.
I pictured Strata Florida as I read that. Mainly because for many yearsI used to live not far from it and our house was called Ty'r Mynach which means Monks house. I got all of an excitement when we first moved in thinking it may have a link ... ho hum it turned out to be called after a previous occupant called Mr. Monk. What a disappointment I'd hoped there would be a story to unearth.

I pictured Strata Florida as I read that. Mainly because for many yearsI used to live not far from it and our house was called Ty'r Mynach which means Monks house.
I visited Strata Florida many years ago when we were staying in Borth. Beautiful place and area; it was a gorgeous summer evening.

I thought @Alicatgreen might mean Tintern. I know there is a holiday cottage pretty much opposite. That’s a gorgeous area too.

E.T.A. Link

Tintern Abbey Cottage

Paranormal or not, it looks a wonderful place to rent.

Apparently they got their parsnips and turnips mixed up. I mean, anyone with a thingie shaped like a turnip is going to have...issues. A parsnip, on the other hand...
Trev's;
psnip.jpg

Hi GITM. Ever been to Meaux Abbey, near Beverley? Huge site. We are hoping to be excavating there in the near future.

Back