• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

I Held The Eye Of (A) God

Eyespy

Abominable Snowman
Saturday was a very odd day, I held the eye of a god . It was very cold and smooth.
I help organise a coffee morning for local intelligentsia which can sometimes be a bit challenging. Last week a dear lady who is a regular bought a few treasurers with her to show to other members, one of them was the eye of Bel- see below. This is apparently the eye of a statue of Marduk- patron deity of Babylon- carved (ground?) from a single piece of Agate and inscribed " To Marduk lord of the universe, Nebuchandnezzer, son of Nabopolazzar King of Babylon gives this for his life". If you enlarge the photo you can see the very fine inscription round the edge of the dark area.

Apparently she bought this many years ago in a little antiques shop, it has inspired her to pursue a career as an astrologer. She has written quite a long and entertaining account of all this and has traced the other eye to a private museum in New York.

Strangest coffee morning I've been to for many years.

IMG_0554.JPG

Tangletwigs-Funnily enough when I was given it my first thought was "Guiness........" It is very cool to the touch, heavy for its size ( bit bigger than a 10p) and not quite transparent. I think the original statue would have been quite imposing and not a little creepy as the eye is domed and reflects light.

I should have included something for scale but did not like to get my rulers, torch etc out it being a social event and me being in charge of biscuits.

Escargot- its fair to say the owner is a bit eccentric, also produced an exquisite netsuke and a Japanese wine carafe ( prob 17th century) from her bag.

Noice. I feel like Sauron has just turned his foul attention in my direction.

I told ya, boss. I do NOT HAVE the fkn RING! I stuck it onto the left hand of that bastard Ray just prior to his descent to the Black Lodge.

Slightly odd event on the way to "work" yesterday, a stranger on the pavement, suddenly stopped looking at his phone, turned to me poked me straight in they're and said "God bless you and protect yo" then turned back to his phone.
Yesterday's coffee morning was a quieter affair, no eyes or other godly bits passed around. Hhowever a tallish dark stranger did join us and hung around for a while asking odd question s and offering to assist.

Slightly odd event on the way to "work" yesterday, a stranger on the pavement, suddenly stopped looking at his phone, turned to me poked me straight in they're and said "God bless you and protect yo" then turned back to his phone.
Yesterday's coffee morning was a quieter affair, no eyes or other godly bits passed around. However a tallish dark stranger did join us and hung around for a while asking odd question s and offering to assist.
Was his surname 'Bell' or something like that?

sorry, just picked on this Pandacracker- my fat fingers at fault should have typed "looked" not poked- not sure how I managed that. Biscuits were probably a mix of Digestives, fancy "Danish" shortbreads in a pretty tin from Tiger and a few hob nobs.

Tucker- don't know how to link your post, but this looks just like the one I held, but "ours" is in better nick. No cracks or scratches. I see the morgan collection has it listed as an amulet, I don't think this is the case as the one I held was really flat on the back and had no obvious marks for mounting or putting on a chain other than the hole drilled through by the owners son som 40 years early. To me it looked like it was something that had come from a statues or possibly a mosaic.

Back