I Remember It Well....

Ermintruder

Delineated by a professional cryptozoologist
My recollection is that we ALWAYS had the best weather
....yes, but irrespective of whether the weather auspiciously-matched our calendrical capers or not, at least it was possessed of some differentiated seasons and sequence.

Now it's just a damp permacrap. The arms race of ever-bigger 4WD/SUVs plowing their way through 11.5months of floodwater is just unbearable.

Bring back seasons! (ps I belong more to the church of sunspot minima than latter-day AGW, but I can stil atheistically (nay; heretically) pray for good weather)

INT21

Antediluvian
That poem is quite an affecting tale. I attended a reading of it some years ago and it brought tears to my eyes.

When I was a teenager my parents had a hobby farm where they kept donkeys, among other beasts. The donkeys were called Juanita, Muchacha and José. For some reason, my parents insisted on giving all of them Spanish names. I doubt very much that they had Jiménez or Cervantes in mind, however.
I have an LP by Andres Segovia

The blurb for 'Platero and I' goes...
Castelnuovo-Tedesco's 'Platero and I' is a set of 28 pieces for narrator and guitar, based on the work for which the Spanish poet Juan Ramon Jimenez won the Nobel prize in 1956. Since most of the pieces are musically complete in themselves they can be played in concert without a narrator.
The poems deal with Platero, a small silver grey donkey who accompanied the poet on his travels and was confidant of his most intimate thoughts.'

'A Platero en la Cielo de Moguer', I find particularly sad.

INT21.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Don Quicks-oat is the preferred pronunciation, just like Don Juan by Lord Byron is pronounced Don Joo-ann.

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Don Quicks-oat is the preferred pronunciation, just like Don Juan by Lord Byron is pronounced Don Joo-ann.
agreed.

Unless you are reading it in the original then these are the accepted anglicised versions. Otherwise it's like sticking "Paree" into an english sentence on the french capital.

INT21

Antediluvian
Is that still true? see this for eg STEM heroine
But you may be right that the prevailing view is still that any girls interested in This Stuff must be nerds.
Fortunately her skill is remembered in the Ada language, an in Adafruit processor boards.

I have a book on my shelf beside me 'PROGRAMMING IN ADA'.

INT21

Antediluvian
Hardly mainstream. Mostly remembered for her connection with Babbage and the fact she was the first known female programmer.

Ask any non-nerd what Lord Byron's daughter was known for and see how many have even heard of her. I seems her initial training came from her mother.

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
As a kid the summers seemed warmer and the grass was greener and the hedgerows were taller and more wild than today. When I was about six the Dirty Dozen (war games scenes) was filmed in the fields and lanes around my village - I can now watch on TV the army truck plough through the ford at the River Chess and bundle down the lane and it is exactly as I remembered.

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
As a kid the summers seemed warmer and the grass was greener and the hedgerows were taller and more wild than today.
I remember running about in tall grass in the back garden and being surrounded by grasshoppers jumping everywhere. When I visit my Mum now, the nature of the garden's ecology has changed. The grass is greener but shorter and the grasshoppers (and other insects) are long gone.

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
the grasshoppers (and other insects) are long gone.
I was never very clear about the difference between crickets and grasshoppers. We had the occasional ones where we lived in NW UK but they were more common, iirc, in the balmier climes of the South West. On a cliff-top, overlooking Tintagel, we looked for four-leaved clovers and found . . . grasshoppers! My father encouraged us to hold them on the backs of our hands. I was not very keen, I must say, though I knew just enough about conscience not to flatten one! :)

Ogdred Weary

Fhtagntastic.
I remember running about in tall grass in the back garden and being surrounded by grasshoppers jumping everywhere. When I visit my Mum now, the nature of the garden's ecology has changed. The grass is greener but shorter and the grasshoppers (and other insects) are long gone.
They're dying like flies (and other insects).

INT21

Antediluvian
I remember we always had huge moths. Many Elephant Hawk moths.

My brother told me recently he had seen an Elephant Hawk caterpillar; but just the one.

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
glow worms in Gloucestershire lanes :)
Yes yes I'd forgotten about searching for glow worms as a kid. Then about ten years (literally a life-time) later I went looking again at the old haunts and I was stunned they were still there ! Wonder if I should park up and see what's there 40 years on.

INT21

Antediluvian
Yes yes I'd forgotten about searching for glow worms as a kid. Then about ten years (literally a life-time) later I went looking again at the old haunts and I was stunned they were still there ! Wonder if I should park up and see what's there 40 years on.
Doggers ?

Tap on car window: the police/

'evening,sir. Just curious. why are you parked in this lonely place on this fine evening ?

Waiting for glow worms, Officer.

Really. Thats a new one. Could I see you driving license ?