I Remember It Well....

Mungoman

Mostly harmless...
You should post that in the if you could go back in time thread:

"I would like to go back to the exact time and place the first person said hey! where's all the white dog shit gone? .."

White dog poo is still a 'thing' here in sunny Australia...for your edification, a pic of poo slowly turning white, another of 007.a.jpg 006.a.jpg 003.a.jpg the finished product...and some gratuitous bark.

(I don't normally go around photo'ing dog poo....but...)

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers

hunck

Justified & Ancient

INT21

Antediluvian
Just thinking (and this may be better as a thread on it's own),...

If you could watch a video of your whole life, obviously with fast-forward and pause, would you want to watch it ?

All together now 'Memories.....'.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Just thinking (and this may be better as a thread on it's own),...

If you could watch a video of your whole life, obviously with fast-forward and pause, would you want to watch it ?

All together now 'Memories.....'.
I think I can remember most of it .. it's the short term memory that I struggle with nowadays .. but my answer is no.

Occasionally good and bad things come back in memories and dreams but the future is more important to focus on.

My Dad brought an A4 manila envelope to my 40'th nearly ten years ago with everything I'd ever failed at .. old bad school reports and worse .. letters from places that had fired me, police warnings etc etc. I haven't got a criminal record apart from a driving conviction from over 20 years ago but I could have done without him trying to show me up that night in front of the Mrs in a posh hotel bar .. he was just setting me up for a laugh and it worked. Bastard. :cool: ..

INT21

Antediluvian
I suppose I aught to contribute to this.

I would be tormented by the choice.

I have worked out that, in my early years, I was pretty psychopathic.

The shame of my misbehaviour would probably be too much to bear.

But at the same time, I would like to confirm that these things really happened.

INT21.

michael59

Look up. Change your world perspective.
Charms all day suckers 5 cents
Sponge Toffee 5 cents
Jubbly flavored ice pyramids 7 cents
Thrills gum (purple Chiclets shaped) 5 cents
Mojos 3 for a penny
Black licorice cigar & pipe shaped. With red candies on the end to make it look lit. 2 for a penny.

When we were kids Saturday was afternoon matinee movie time. All the adults were sleeping (more like passed out drunk) late and didn't want to be bothered with us. We would get 75 cents each. That paid our way in and got us a medium popcorn tub, medium soda and a chocolate bar each. It also covered the 10 cent bus fare. If you got a transfer, you could use it for the ride home. In those days transfers didn't have a time limit. You could stay all day and watch the movie as many times as you wanted and only pay once. There were usually about 4 or 5 different movies playing in the movie theatre. If you were sneaky enough, you could get into the other ones for free too. We were expert sneaks. :)

I also remember a man who used to come around with a small wagon it had a wheel stone that sat in a small water tray. He would ring a brass bell as he walked through the neighborhood. Then your mom would grab all the knives, plus 25 cents and tell you to run quick and get them sharpened. Imagine letting your kid run through the street nowadays with meat cleavers and butcher knives. lol

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
The Pink Parafin guy coming round.
Petrichor in the 70s. (no doubt it'll return in a decade or two, but it won't smell the same though :( )
The smell of the paraffin heater at the top of our stairs when l got out of bed on winter mornings, wearing my tartan dressing gown with its cord belt.

Going with my dad to the garage with two bob to buy a gallon of Esso Blue.

Being sent to the village shop by my mum with an empty bottle to buy British sherry, decanted from a plastic barrel. (Fast forward to 31:29 for my opinion of British sherry):

Shops with card displays of cheap, ivory celluloid-handled penknives held on by elastic bands.

Saturday afternoons with my dinner on a tray, waiting for the football results to end - “Hamilton Academicals 3, Forfar 4” - then the bliss as the Doctor Who music started.

maximus otter

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
The ABC Minors was fixture in my life when I was about seven to nine years old. The sixpence to get in could be saved, if you timed your arrival at the fire-exit right. The naughty kids would fling it open to their mates and they had no door-policy of their own.

I believe you could be challenged to produce the half of the ticket you were meant to retain but I cultivated angelic looks. The staff were never able to police the exits with their lift-bar-in-an-emergency notices so they eventually did the sensible thing and chained them shut! The shows attracted several hundred kids, so the potential for a disaster was there. About the same as the loss of a large Primary School, I would imagine.

The films on offer were features, usually from the worthy Children's Film Foundation, though their Trafalgar Square ID at the start was ritually booed and hissed. Supporting features were creaky old things, such as Hopalong Cassidy and Old Mother Riley. The ABC had invested in a job-lot of titles from poverty-row Republic Studios. I did like Captain Marvel, with its visions of old mines and molten rock. When I caught up with it a few years ago, I realised that the 1941 serial would have also given me my first sight of a multi-storey carpark! Such things were unheard-of in a country which still had bomb-sites! :omr:

Last edited:

INT21

Antediluvian
In the fifties we had a pie and pea wagon come round once a week.

A;so a wagon used to collect clothing and give you gold fish in exchange.

INT21

Antediluvian
Nemo,

I don't know if you will get this, but can you piece together a broken dream ?

The clue is in the thread title. Right at the beginning.

michael59

Look up. Change your world perspective.
My Granny's sausage stew. It was a comfort food that all us kids loved. Whenever we were over there and she asked us what we wanted for supper. We would all yell in unison, STOVIES!

I don't know why but, we were told that it was called stovies. Then one time at work this lady had a lunch dish that everyone was chatting about because it smelled so good and she said it was traditional Scottish stovies. It didn't look anything like my Granny's sausage stew. :dunno: