I Remember It Well....

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
17 is not true! There is a diary of a battle of Britain pilot where he mentions going to an Indian restaurant
That's American so it's true for them. We Brits were more enlightened.* :cool:

*If you ignore the fact that we only got a taste for highly civilised food like curry by colonising and exploiting India along with every other lucrative territory we could get our grubby hands on.

Mungoman

Mostly harmless...
Reaction score
Back when I was working as a fish monger, we had a new woman start who started to get a bit bullied by our arsehole manager. I felt sorry for her so helped her as much as I could until I overheard her one day telling some customers I was thick. Nice. I also noticed her trying to shit stir amongst other staff so I started waiting until she went on a break, we all had to wear white boater hats with a wide blue ribbon, I'd take a few tiny sprat fish and conceal them under the ribbon on her hat. She never did work out where the smell was coming from.
There was an anecdote going around the local neighbourhood Swifty, of a couple who had split up due to him having a girlfriend on the side.

She'd had a gutful of him and the area, and wanted a treechange (move out into a country town), and so, she let him buy her out of their domicile.

On the last day, the wronged one heard that said girlfriend was going to move in, which was a bridge too far for her, and so she decided to wreak revenge with a kilo of prawns...which she inserted in every curtain rod in the house.

It wasn't long before the Australian summer, and bacteria did the job. It was said that the stink could not be eradicated and so the wrong'n, and girlfriend sold the house at a loss because of the smell, and moved.

With the said curtain rods...

Please excuse the pun, but could you consider this to be a 'prawn cock tale'?

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
There was an anecdote going around the local neighbourhood Swifty, of a couple who had split up due to him having a girlfriend on the side.

She'd had a gutful of him and the area, and wanted a treechange (move out into a country town), and so, she let him buy her out of their domicile.

On the last day, the wronged one heard that said girlfriend was going to move in, which was a bridge too far for her, and so she decided to wreak revenge with a kilo of prawns...which she inserted in every curtain rod in the house.

It wasn't long before the Australian summer, and bacteria did the job. It was said that the stink could not be eradicated and so the wrong'n, and girlfriend sold the house at a loss because of the smell, and moved.

With the said curtain rods...

Please excuse the pun, but could you consider this to be a 'prawn cock tale'?
I've heard of a prawns in curtain rods revenge stunt before Mungoman, that's probably where I got the inspiration from. I wonder if the prawn one really happened or if it was an urban legend? ..
edit: Snopes reckons it's a legend but I bet someone's done it ..

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/sew-shrimp-curtains-revenge/

Floyd1

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
There's a scene in the Sherlock Holmes film 'Terror by Night' 1946 where Watson orders a curry on the train going from London to Scotland (Holmes won't touch the stuff and has a Steak and Kidney pie instead), and discusses with the person he is sat next to what makes a good curry. ''It's all in the spices'' he tells him. Brilliant deduction Watson.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
There's a scene in the Sherlock Holmes film 'Terror by Night' 1946 where Watson orders a curry on the train going from London to Scotland (Holmes won't touch the stuff and has a Steak and Kidney pie instead), and discusses with the person he is sat next to what makes a good curry. ''It's all in the spices'' he tells him. Brilliant deduction Watson.
In one Sherlock Holmes story Holmes deduces that someone has been drugged with opium hidden in his mutton curry.

The character is unharmed but sleeps too soundly to prevent a crime.
Holmes asserts that the drug has a distinctive taste which would have been masked by the curry spices.

Floyd1

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
In one Sherlock Holmes story Holmes deduces that someone has been drugged with opium hidden in his mutton curry.

The character is unharmed but sleeps too soundly to prevent a crime.
Holmes asserts that the drug has a distinctive taste which would have been masked by the curry spices.
I know Yith is on about children of the 50s, but I just thought I'd mention it. It really is worth watching anyway, if only for the terrible, wooden acting.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I wouldn't like to be sat next to Watson next day in a small compartment with minimal ventilation on that long long journey home.

Floyd1

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I wouldn't like to be sat next to Watson next day in a small compartment with minimal ventilation on that long long journey home.
No, and we used to have 'curry' at primary school in the early 80s (before I came to my senses and took a packed lunch instead). I don't remember it causing any problems however, and it must have been very mild.

Swifty

Reaction score
No, and we used to have 'curry' at primary school in the early 80s (before I came to my senses and took a packed lunch instead). I don't remember it causing any problems however, and it must have been very mild.
You were making your own packed lunches at primary school age?.

Bad Bungle

Tutti but not Frutti.
Reaction score
I had 'curry' at Big School in the early 80's - it was orange, full of GRIT, it burnt my mouth and even today the smell makes me heave.

Tunn11

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
School curry was "stew" dyed greeny yellow served with rice. Dyed red with piped mash and died grass (not that sort) was "goulash"; with pastry on top it became meat pie and with mash cottage pie. One vat would last a week. Then there were the greasy discs of batter and pink something known as "spam fritters" and a concoction of grease, rice, peas and rat's buttocks known as "risotto." Cabbage needed to be boiled a good week before serving. There was also a stew concoction served with bits of hard tack on top that were meant to be dumplings but I can't remember what that was called.
Thinking about it the curry may not have been dyed greeny yellow it may have reached that stage on its own. :meh:

Iris

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
When my oldest was at primary school she went on a school camp. When she came home she said the sausages they were served were green and she was never going to complain about any food at home again.

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
It was a hard life back then. I wasn't like Trev 'Little Lord Fauntleroy' p.
What you talking about? I wasn't posh as a kid - I used to limit myself to just the one butler and one food-taster.
Oh and my Nanny never ever allowed me to go to the tutor without making sure I had my wicker basket filled with cucumber sandwiches and a bottle of ginger pop.

Swifty

Reaction score
At my school, it was brought in to the school in metal containers, already stewing away.
It was completely rank and the smell made me heave.
'The Dinner Ladies' were the police at our school. Whenever there was a scrap behind the school gym at break time, someone would inevitably shout "DINNER LADIES! .. LEG IT!" .. I was mates with one of the dinner lady's sons so I got to go round his house.

The food was grim, especially the liver but this was before Jamie Oliver was around so we could get everything that was bad for us with no questions asked including paving slab brownies and green custard. The cans of baked beans were about a foot tall and they were tasteless.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
'The Dinner Ladies' were the police at our school. Whenever there was a scrap behind the school gym at break time, someone would inevitably shout "DINNER LADIES! .. LEG IT!" .. I was mates with one of the dinner lady's sons so I got to go round his house.

The food was grim, especially the liver but this was before Jamie Oliver was around so we could get everything that was bad for us with no questions asked including paving slab brownies and green custard. The cans of baked beans were about a foot tall and they were tasteless.
At my school, the liver was just about the most amazing thing ever. Everything else was sh*t.

Swifty

Reaction score
What you talking about? I wasn't posh as a kid - I used to limit myself to just the one butler and one food-taster.
Oh and my Nanny never ever allowed me to go to the tutor without making sure I had my wicker basket filled with cucumber sandwiches and a bottle of ginger pop.
Did you eat gooseberry and cinnamon yoghurt? ..

Trevp666

Reaction score
I think there really are people like that around.
Yes there are. That isn't a comedy, it's a documentary.

Did you eat gooseberry and cinnamon yoghurt? ..

No. Mama and Papa would never have allowed me to have anything as common as 'store bought' yoghurt.
It was only things created by our housekeeper Mrs Stokes that we could have.
She could whip up a quite acceptable Quince and Pomegranate Fool though.

Swifty

Reaction score
Yes there are. That isn't a comedy, it's a documentary.

No. Mama and Papa would never have allowed me to have anything as common as 'store bought' yoghurt.
It was only things created by our housekeeper Mrs Stokes that we could have.
She could whip up a quite acceptable Quince and Pomegranate Fool though.
Quite right too Trevor, only fat poor people eat cheap yoghurt .. and

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
My second primary school school served us mutton curry in 1968/9. (I can be reasonably precise about the date as I was only there for one year.)

The mutton curry was very mild indeed and I liked it, and it stuck in my mind as I'd read about it
I know for a fact there are :( .. I've met them.
I AM one.

Trevp666

Reaction score
Our Mrs Stokes was from Harpenden.

Swifty

Reaction score
Sometimes I don't know how people like me, you and Escargot cope at all Trevor ..

Floyd1

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
School curry was "stew" dyed greeny yellow served with rice. Dyed red with piped mash and died grass (not that sort) was "goulash"; with pastry on top it became meat pie and with mash cottage pie. One vat would last a week. Then there were the greasy discs of batter and pink something known as "spam fritters" and a concoction of grease, rice, peas and rat's buttocks known as "risotto." Cabbage needed to be boiled a good week before serving. There was also a stew concoction served with bits of hard tack on top that were meant to be dumplings but I can't remember what that was called.
Thinking about it the curry may not have been dyed greeny yellow it may have reached that stage on its own. :meh:
I remember the curry had currants in it too. -We certainly didn't have spam fritters (or risotto as far as I can recall) though. 'Rat's buttocks Risotto'- I like the sound of that! I reckon old Rick Stein will be onto it. Cabbage (of course) was always around (particularly the smell), but all said, I think yours must have been a far posher school than mine by the sounds of it.