I Remember It Well....

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
Our Mrs Stokes was from Harpenden.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
Sometimes I don't know how people like me, you and Escargot cope at all Trevor ..

Floyd1

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
School curry was "stew" dyed greeny yellow served with rice. Dyed red with piped mash and died grass (not that sort) was "goulash"; with pastry on top it became meat pie and with mash cottage pie. One vat would last a week. Then there were the greasy discs of batter and pink something known as "spam fritters" and a concoction of grease, rice, peas and rat's buttocks known as "risotto." Cabbage needed to be boiled a good week before serving. There was also a stew concoction served with bits of hard tack on top that were meant to be dumplings but I can't remember what that was called.
Thinking about it the curry may not have been dyed greeny yellow it may have reached that stage on its own. :meh:
I remember the curry had currants in it too. -We certainly didn't have spam fritters (or risotto as far as I can recall) though. 'Rat's buttocks Risotto'- I like the sound of that! I reckon old Rick Stein will be onto it. Cabbage (of course) was always around (particularly the smell), but all said, I think yours must have been a far posher school than mine by the sounds of it.

TangletwigsDeux

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
I remember many years ago going to a fancy hotel in the back alleys of Worcester with my dad and his 2nd wife. I ordered the curry and with great pomp it was delivered with separate bowls of grated coconut and for some reason currants - I didnt know any better and hey free currants is free currants.

Swifty

Reaction score
I remember many years ago going to a fancy hotel in the back alleys of Worcester with my dad and his 2nd wife. I ordered the curry and with great pomp it was delivered with separate bowls of grated coconut and for some reason currants - I didnt know any better and hey free currants is free currants.
I was once hired to manage an Indian restaurant, I was crap at it because I don't like Indian food .. the owners had this thing about serving us a curry seated around the table at around 11pm but I used to swerve that every time.

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
I'm with Swifty and Sherlock on this one.
My friend Geordie Steve calls all curries of whatever variety, and a lot of Chinese dishes too, "Spooon Foood" (yes with the extra 'o' in both).
Anything disguised in a strongly spiced or seasoned sauce is suspicious in his eyes.
I tend to agree with him.
However, I did once have a very tasty 'Butter Chicken' when I was forced to accompany my then girlfriend to an evening meal with some other friends of hers that I didn't know.

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
Reaction score
'The Dinner Ladies' were the police at our school. Whenever there was a scrap behind the school gym at break time, someone would inevitably shout "DINNER LADIES! .. LEG IT!" .. I was mates with one of the dinner lady's sons so I got to go round his house.

My mum was a dinner lady at my Middle School.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I like food to instead be cooked well and taste like what it is; natural flavours. I'm with Sherlock on this one. I don't want it drowned in spices and powders.
My father would tell us that Indian food was spicy to disguise the fact that the meat was rotten.

When I was old enough to know that a. eating rotten meat would still make people ill and b. some Indian subcontinental cultures are vegetarian so there was no meat to deal with I received Dad's usual reply - a contemptuous 'Don't be stupid!'

Every time I heard that I knew I was right and that he knew too. :chuckle:

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
The liver at Primary was very bitter, it used to go on my little sister's plate or down my socks (likewise celery) if she wasn't at my table.
As a kid I was always ravenous so I'd eat everything I was offered except beetroot, which I went off after seeing Barry chuck some up on his desk.

Couldn't understand kids lobbing food in the waste tubs. My plate went back clean and I would've licked it if I could.

Swifty

Reaction score
My father would tell us that Indian food was spicy to disguise the fact that the meat was rotten.

When I was old enough to know that a. eating rotten meat would still make people ill and b. some Indian subcontinental cultures are vegetarian so there was no meat to deal with I received Dad's usual reply - a contemptuous 'Don't be stupid!'

Every time I heard that I knew I was right and that he knew too. :chuckle:
I've never gone as far as thinking spices were being used to disguise off meat, that might have happened sometimes as well but I'm just into more European tasting food because I like more subtle flavours.

Tunn11

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
I remember the curry had currants in it too. -We certainly didn't have spam fritters (or risotto as far as I can recall) though. 'Rat's buttocks Risotto'- I like the sound of that! I reckon old Rick Stein will be onto it. Cabbage (of course) was always around (particularly the smell), but all said, I think yours must have been a far posher school than mine by the sounds of it.
A South London Grammer in the late sixtes. The "exotic" menu was a reaction to the endless variations on "brown stew". I forgot that the risotto also had cubes of pink in it - absolutely disgusting. I think there was the odd currrant in the curry, probably five or six per vat!
don't recall liver at school, but at home, yes. It was almost as ubiquitous as fish-fingers.
Oh yes, a collection of rubber tiubes held together with something with the texture of very old meat that had been cooked for moths. Served with flaccid white strips with a little pink in them and a rock hard rind laughingly called bacon and swamped in gravy. Fish fingers never, some tasteless white stuff on Fridays even though we weren't Catholic.
Couldn't understand kids lobbing food in the waste tubs. My plate went back clean and I would've licked it if I could.
The fritters could slide there on their own they were that greasy!

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
some tasteless white stuff on Fridays even though we weren't Catholic.
Most caterers serve fish on Fridays regardless of religion. Every school I went did this.

Sometimes it was yellow fish (haddock, which I pronounced had-DOCK for some reason) complete with bones and Horrible Sauce.
It was too salty for me but of course I ate it all anyway as between that day's lunch and the next I might only get toast.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Is that Heinz Horrible Sauce?
Parsley. We didn't have that at home and I found in incomprehensible; warm white stuff with green bits in, all slathered over a spiky bone-fest.

My family's gastronomic standards were such that I thought 'sauce' meant only tomato sauce or Daddy's Sauce.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Parsley. We didn't have that at home and I found in incomprehensible; warm white stuff with green bits in, all slathered over a spiky bone-fest.

My family's gastronomic standards were such that I thought 'sauce' meant only tomato sauce or Daddy's Sauce.
I'm not a fan of any white sauce.

Tunn11

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
Most caterers serve fish on Fridays regardless of religion. Every school I went did this.

Sometimes it was yellow fish (haddock, which I pronounced had-DOCK for some reason) complete with bones a³

nd Horrible Sauce.
It was too salty for me but of course I ate it all anyway as between that day's lunch and the next I might only get toast.
Named fish? I don't think anything other than spam was named, it was always "Brown stew" or "Fish" or "Meat pie".
Fish on Friday was the only concession to dietary requirement.
I remember them running out of stew once so grated cheese was substituted on a plate of cabbage, mash and gravy.
The option to bring a packed lunch came with the instruction to be off school property during the lunch period. Quite a number of us opted for two hours in sleet in the park next door with a cheese sandwich rather than wrestle down the canteen option.
The prefects had a museum of things found in the food which included: insects, bits of metal and a fag end found in the mash!

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Named fish? I don't think anything other than spam was named, it was always "Brown stew" or "Fish" or "Meat pie".
Dunno how I learned it was called had-DOCK. Perhaps I asked because it looked so strange.
I'd seen raw fish in fishmongers' shops, both whole and as fillets, but the only cooked fish I'd eaten were tinned or battered.
As my father objected to the smell of fish cooking it wasn't prepared at home.

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
Reaction score
This thread reminds me why I had packed lunches for my entire school career.

Dairylea sandwiches, crisps, a Club biscuit (or similar) and n'apple.

Occasionally my mum would throw a curveball and substitute Dairylea for lemon curd. I loved lemon curd but it's a bit of a surprise if you take the first bite without noticing.

Mungoman

Mostly harmless...
Reaction score
I was introduced to Curries down here in Australia by way of curried sausages.

Rather different eh what.

Then there was the sultanas, apples and bananas that went with it. - or should I say, in it - and it was either Clive of India, or Keenes curry powder.

Most Aussies who fought in the asia-pacific offensives were introduced to curries and brought the idea home when they de-mobbed.

I didn't find it too bad...even though it took the enamel of your teeth.

I've still got both brands in my cupboard

Mungoman

Mostly harmless...
Reaction score