I Remember It Well....

Giant R

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
A bit earlier but I remember my dad telling me that when he was serving in the desert although he was in the Royal Navy (long story) they still had normal British food served. He remembered that a 'duff' of some kind was always a favourite. This was a treacle pudding or spotted dick or similar with custard and the custard would come in a big cauldron type pot which would be covered in flies. They developed a technique whereby one of them would scrape the flies aside whilst another would get a big spoonful of the custard beneath for their pud...

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
No, and we used to have 'curry' at primary school in the early 80s (before I came to my senses and took a packed lunch instead). I don't remember it causing any problems however, and it must have been very mild.
My second primary school school served us mutton curry in 1968/9. (I can be reasonably precise about the date as I was only there for one year.)

The mutton curry was very mild and I liked it, and when I later read about it in the Sherlock Holmes story I knew what was going on. :wink2:

Floyd1

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
The option to bring a packed lunch came with the instruction to be off school property during the lunch period. Quite a number of us opted for two hours in sleet in the park next door with a cheese sandwich rather than wrestle down the canteen option.
Can you imagine the uproar if that happened today? You can bring your own lunch but you have to f*** off outside to eat it. Your school wasn't Colditz by any chance?

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
Can you imagine the uproar if that happened today? You can bring your own lunch but you have to f*** off outside to eat it. Your school wasn't Colditz by any chance?

They tended to want to keep people on the premises at Colditz.

Personally, at my old school it was practically impossible to get an exeat for anything barring emergency—until you reached the sixth form at which point nobody could care less where you went and when.

Floyd1

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
They tended to want to keep people on the premises at Colditz.

Personally, at my old school it was practically impossible to get an exeat for anything barring emergency—until you reached the sixth form at which point nobody could care less where you went and when.
Yes, good point. I suspect the food was better at Colditz though. Mind you, it was, (and maybe still is) pretty dire at Eton by all accounts.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, good point. I suspect the food was better at Colditz though. Mind you, it was, (and maybe still is) pretty dire at Eton by all accounts.

Personally, although there were a few regular dishes I couldn't stand—quiche comes to mind—I loved school dinners and ate enough to sink a battleship most days. Desserts were a highlight.

Floyd1

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Personally, although there were a few regular dishes I couldn't stand—quiche comes to mind—I loved school dinners and ate enough to sink a battleship most days. Dessers were a highlight.
The only 'dessert' I remember was prunes, although MrsF has just mentioned pink(?) custard with sponge pudding, which I also remember now she's said it.

Tunn11

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
It was to do with the law at the time. @JamesWhitehead will know all about it.
I think so, we were told that if we choked on the banana custard they served that was fair enough but if we choked on our cheese sarneys they wouldn't be held responsible, after all, if you were off the school grounds no one would know until you failed to show up for double physics that afternoon :worry:. Off school premises you were not their responsibility, but if you were caught not in uniform walking to or from school, you'd cop a punishment!
I think most schools were very different places in the 60s compared to today. Corporal punishment was still in use - on rare occasions and was actually preferred by some of the "wrong 'uns" to endless detentions, etc. Exclusions didn't exist : lines, detentions, canings, expulsion. they stopped short of execution unless you count the long term effects of the cabbage.
However I think the teaching was, until the last year or so I was there when they recruited some very indifferent staff and got them to teach multiple subjects, actually quite good.
But I think some of the the Colditz guards may actually have been actually nicer people than some of our teachers.

Floyd1

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I think so, we were told that if we choked on the banana custard they served that was fair enough but if we choked on our cheese sarneys they wouldn't be held responsible, after all, if you were off the school grounds no one would know until you failed to show up for double physics that afternoon :worry:. Off school premises you were not their responsibility, but if you were caught not in uniform walking to or from school, you'd cop a punishment!
I think most schools were very different places in the 60s compared to today. Corporal punishment was still in use - on rare occasions and was actually preferred by some of the "wrong 'uns" to endless detentions, etc. Exclusions didn't exist : lines, detentions, canings, expulsion. they stopped short of execution unless you count the long term effects of the cabbage.
However I think the teaching was, until the last year or so I was there when they recruited some very indifferent staff and got them to teach multiple subjects, actually quite good.
But I think some of the the Colditz guards may actually have been actually nicer people than some of our teachers.
They stopped caning the year before I started, luckily for me. Also, I just missed a games teacher who was an ex para and used to whip the lads with the wooden wedges that held the climbing frames up. More alarmingly, the boys had to do PE without underwear for some bizzare reason.

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Our Geography teacher had to leave all of a sudden; it was his first teaching job.

We were told he had had a disagreement with Head but I suspect it was all the girls having a crush on him.:itslove:

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
The only 'dessert' I remember was prunes, although MrsF has just mentioned pink(?) custard with sponge pudding, which I also remember now she's said it.

Top of the tree: apple crumble and custard.

Spotted dick was decent; warm dougnuts in hot jam sauce were a rare treat. Some kind of hot tart (gypsy?) would come up in the summer, but even the big chewy cookies and milk were very welcome.

There were several variations on sweet stodge in pink custard, but, frankly, they were pretty good eating.

I reckon someone in the kitchens had a genuine flare and had stumbled into the job and lacked the ambition to move on.

Floyd1

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Top of the tree: apple crumble and custard.

Spotted dick was decent; warm dougnuts in hot jam sauce were a rare treat. Some kind of hot tart (gypsy?) would come up in the summer, but even the big chewy cookies and milk were very welcome.

There were several variations on sweet stodge in pink custard, but, frankly, they were pretty good eating.

I reckon someone in the kitchens had a genuine flare and had stumbled into the job and lacked the ambition to move on.
I think we also had spotted dick now you mention it and I've remembered that there was often semolina as well. I think I quite liked that.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Now that sounds good, maybe with rice, not semolina. Or is it tapioca I'm thinking of.....?
The burning question 'ere is, How do you start a pudding race?

Tunn11

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
Whooo! that's an oldie. I won't spoil it for them as doesn't know.

FunkyTT

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
The nuns at my catholic junior school still liked to use the cane , until it was abolished 86/87ish. My grandmother was a dinner lady there for many years before her retirement, I recall her getting a nice carraige clock as a present. Yes they were like the police of the schoolyard , and used to write down names of offenders in a naughty book. A couple of the lads were regular cane victims. The food was awful. Hated school dinners in junior school.

I still cannot stand custard, rice pudding ect to this day. Yuk!

Secondary school food wasn't too bad to be fair.

FunkyTT

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
It was actually a wooden ruler , not a cane used in junior school now I think about it.

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
As I recall, school dinners at my junior school were fairly terrible. It didn't help that they insisted that you ate everything you were given whether you liked it or not, and you had to raise your hand when you were finished so that one of the guards dinner ladies could come and inspect your plate. I used to try to hide stuff under a big dollop of mashed potato but they were wise to that one.
It wouldn't have been so bad if the food they provided was any good, but most of the time it was atrocious. It was almost as though they had all the right ingredients for a dish and then decided how they best make it worse.
However saying that, there were some things that were ok.
Anything they produced in a big tray was usually good, so a big square tray with a sponge of some sort, cut into rectangles, usually with some kind of sauce or a ribbon of jam running through it. Rice/Semolina/Tapioca puddings with a blob of red jam to mix in to it and make it pink.
Any kind of stew was usually okay cos it had had the life boiled out of it.
But anything that required even an iota of finesse was not worth having.
Any vegetables were either tasteless or tasted just bad and had been boiled until they were transparent.
And the occasional treat for puddings was a slice of 'Arctic Roll'.

When I went to my secondary school, a modern comprehensive, I took packed lunches.

Victory

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
We used to get the above desserts, and they were devoured with gusto (though not cocoa butter) but occasionally also bread and butter pudding, with currants in and covered in loads of sugar.

Very excited when that was served.

There was a nice apple pie also, served in a tray and they'd cut you a square of it, if you were lucky someone didn't want their's and you could get another square.

Iris

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
IN secondary school in cooking class we had to eat whatever was the recipe for the day.
One day it was rice pudding and only one girl liked it and ate 3 large bowls.
We later went on a bus trip and she was rather ill.

Shady

DEATHS Kitty
Reaction score
I loved school dinners, hated tapioca, (frog spawn) loved rice pud as they used to put on Rosehip Syrup, yummy, but I believe it is expensive stuff now. Also I adored the fluffy white salad cream, but it is a bugger to make, they were talking on our local radio about school dinners and I phoned up and asked them about it and they gave me the number of a dinner lady and she gave me the recipe, I tried it and failed, I don't thing the evap milk was cold enough, I have lost the recipe, but it did include evap milk, really cold, lemon juice, vinegar and salt and pepper, and beat it really fast.

Loved the strawberry custard as well, usually served with shortbread

Dinobot

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
And me!

Even now I love milk puddings.
In fact I will make an immense one for our tea. With sultanas in. Cinnamon on top. Cream.
1fN8.gif