I Remember It Well....

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Rosehip Syrup, yummy, but I believe it is expensive stuff now.
People used to make their own. You just picked rosehips and boiled them up, then cooled/strained the syrup and bottled it.

Kryptonite

Vague Apparition
Reaction score
They stopped caning the year before I started, luckily for me. Also, I just missed a games teacher who was an ex para and used to whip the lads with the wooden wedges that held the climbing frames up. More alarmingly, the boys had to do PE without underwear for some bizzare reason.
We had a PE teacher who would call any boy who wore glasses "Joe 90" instead of their actual name.

Wouldn't get away with that now.

Shady

DEATHS Kitty
Reaction score
People used to make their own. You just picked rosehips and boiled them up, then cooled/strained the syrup and bottled it.
I have seen what I think are Rosehips, but I am not sure, so I tend to err on the side of caution

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Yes, and if the butcher knew you he would drop a steak...

"Ooops! all sawdust, I can't sell that now; I'll ring it up as a bone and you can take it home for the dog/ferret/sabretooth..."

I got some rosehip tea from a Polish shop, very nice...dont know if has the same nutrients as the syrup.

Floyd1

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Thinking last night (although it wasn't that long ago really, but it seems it now), how before combi boilers and/or electric showers (we had neither) that you'd often say, ''Right I'm off for a bath'' and somebody would inform you that they'd had one not long ago so there ''probably won't be enough hot water for an hour or two''. Then you'd think ''I'll try it'' and find that you had about an inch of hot water in the bath before it indeed ran cold. It was then a case of putting more coal on the fire (if you had a back boiler) and waiting.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Thinking last night (although it wasn't that long ago really, but it seems it now), how before combi boilers and/or electric showers (we had neither) that you'd often say, ''Right I'm off for a bath'' and somebody would inform you that they'd had one not long ago so there ''probably won't be enough hot water for an hour or two''. Then you'd think ''I'll try it'' and find that you had about an inch of hot water in the bath before it indeed ran cold. It was then a case of putting more coal on the fire (if you had a back boiler) and waiting.
Exactly my life experience when growing up.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
Exactly my life experience when growing up.

And then Dad would throw caution to the wind and start boiling kettlefuls of water to top up the lukewarm few inches you'd decided to plonk yourself in anyway.

Why on earth that's a fond memory, I'm unable to say! I'll get onto Vosene before long...

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
I can remember the retro-fitting of secondary 'double-glazing' that my parents carried out on our home in North London back in the 70s, and also the installation of central heating.
It seemed to be quite a common thing back then that everyone seemed to be doing stuff like that, along with cavity wall insulation.
But the 'immersion heater' was kept in the tank as a stand-by. Clearly it was not considered necessary to have a 'combi-boiler' installed.
I can remember previous to the central heating when the coal-man used to deliver off the back of a large flatbed truck weekly.
We also had 'roundsmen' for all sorts of things.
The 'Lemonade' man who used to sell bottles of pop from a van and we would collect up the empty bottles to get our 10p deposits back.
The milkman of course, and IIRC our daily delivery would be one 'red top' and one 'silver top'. Also he would drop off a dozen eggs on a Friday and a loaf of sliced white bread.
Then we had the football pools chap who would visit on a Thursday evening to collect the '8 from 10'.
A monthly visit from the insurance salesman guy - I still can't work out why he visited so often though.
Occasional visits from the window cleaner, who was quite an untidy chap with teeth missing. Looking back I wouldn't be surprised if he was 'up to no good' generally as he seemed 'a bit of a lad'.

Bad Bungle

Tutti but not Frutti.
Reaction score
I remember when butcher's shops used to have sawdust covering the floor.
Was once dragged after work to a Pub in Whitechapel with sawdust on the floor. Noticed planks of wood nailed across the windows and a lack of female patronage - (the Troll's something ?) The stripper was charming though.

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Was once dragged after work to a Pub in Whitechapel with sawdust on the floor. Noticed planks of wood nailed across the windows and a lack of female patronage - (the Troll's something ?) The stripper was charming though.
Yes - strippers! In late 70s early 80s there were strippers in some pubs at lunchtime in Dalston/Hackney/Shoreditch area.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Was there a huge gun on a shelf behind the bar? A Winchester rifle or similar.

Bad Bungle

Tutti but not Frutti.
Reaction score
Yes - strippers! In late 70s early 80s there were strippers in some pubs at lunchtime in Dalston/Hackney/Shoreditch area.
That's it ! I used to pass the Pubs on the Bethnal Green bus. She danced whilst taking her clothes off, but I was reliably informed by the regulars that if paid handsomely enough beforehand, she would take her clothes off and then dance.

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
That's it ! I used to pass the Pubs on the Bethnal Green bus. She danced whilst taking her clothes off, but I was reliably informed by the regulars that if paid handsomely enough beforehand, she would take her clothes off and then dance.
I seem to remember a pint mug was passed round into which you’d chuck a quid. This was in the days when that would probably buy 3 or 4 pints.

Also, stripping was part of the tease/show. The act would be timed to last the length of the chosen music, by which time she’d be naked. I’m not sure starting off naked would’ve improved the experience..

Last edited:

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score

The problem being that not everything stops when the music does.

Ba-doom-tish!

Back on topic:

This is luxury you can afford, buy Cyril Lord.”

“You’ll wonder where the yellow went, when you brush your teeth with Pepsodent.”

“Double Your Money and try to get rich, Double Your Money, without any hitch, Double Your Money, it's your lucky day, Double Your Money and take it away!”

The “Yes-No Interlude”.

Anything can happen in the next half-hour…”

maximus otter

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score

Back boiler? Luxury.
As probably already mentioned we had a tin bath which would be set up in the back room and filled with water boiled in kettles and pans.
Depending on your place in the family the water might be lukewarm and a bit thick by the time your turn came up.

After the last ablution the bath would be dragged to the back door and the water tipped into the yard to rinse the brick path.

Dinobot

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I can remember the retro-fitting of secondary 'double-glazing' that my parents carried out on our home in North London back in the 70s, and also the installation of central heating.

A monthly visit from the insurance salesman guy - I still can't work out why he visited so often though
He might be your dad?;)
Occasional visits from the window cleaner, who was quite an untidy chap with teeth missing. Looking back I wouldn't be surprised if he was 'up to no good' generally as he seemed 'a bit of a lad'.
Stan Ogden?
001f95d1.jpg

Floyd1

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Back boiler? Luxury.
As probably already mentioned we had a tin bath which would be set up in the back room and filled with water boiled in kettles and pans.
Depending on your place in the family the water might be lukewarm and a bit thick by the time your turn came up.

After the last ablution the bath would be dragged to the back door and the water tipped into the yard to rinse the brick path.
Poor as we were and as old, damp and f***ing freezing cold as the cottage was, it at least had had an indoor bathroom and toilet installed at some point before we got there, so that was something.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Poor as we were and as old, damp and f***ing freezing cold as the cottage was, it at least had had an indoor bathroom and toilet installed at some point before we got there, so that was something.
Yup, we later moved to a house with a real bathroom.
There were two disadvantages: it was unheated and so most unpleasant in winter; and it contained our only toilet, which meant no long soaks for any of our large family.

One of my sisters used to barricade herself in there for two hours at a time on Sunday afternoons. Nobody knew what she was doing and and I honestly don't know why our parents let her do it.
I was sometimes reduced to dragging myself off to the park bogs nearly a mile away.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
Back boiler? Luxury.

maximus otter

Floyd1

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Yup, we later moved to a house with a real bathroom.
There were two disadvantages: it was unheated and so most unpleasant in winter; and it contained our only toilet, which meant no long soaks for any of our large family.

One of my sisters used to barricade herself in there for two hours at a time on Sunday afternoons. Nobody knew what she was doing and and I honestly don't know why our parents let her do it.
I was sometimes reduced to dragging myself off to the park bogs nearly a mile away.
There was only me and my Mother so it wasn't too bad. The house we next moved to, built in 1938, had an indoor bath, but had only had an inside toilet put in just before we got there, in 1979.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
There was only me and my Mother so it wasn't too bad. The house we next moved to, built in 1938, had an indoor bath, but had only had an inside toilet put in just before we got there, in 1979.
The ex's and my first home was a cosy new built centrally-heated flat from which we foolishly moved to an unheated, unmodernised 1950 end terrace with a bathroom and (luxury) second bog outside.

Floyd1

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
The ex's and my first home was a cosy new built centrally-heated flat from which we foolishly moved to an unheated, unmodernised 1950 end terrace with a bathroom and (luxury) second bog outside.
Just thinking, it was probably 'easier' in the old days in a way, because unlike today where you're expected to bathe regularly, smell nice and wear clean clothes, it didn't matter as much back then. I think Samuel Pepys says in his diaries that you kept the same clothes on for months. (I'm keeping it old school too and not giving in to these modern ways).

Floyd1

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Just picked up 'Samuel Pepys' The Unequalled Self' by Claire Tomalin that I read maybe two years ago. Can't even see to read it now. That's another 'I remember it well'. When I didn't need glasses.