I Remember It Well....

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
if paid handsomely enough beforehand, she would take her clothes off and then dance.
The kind of pubs I used to go in, if they had 'strippers' in them, it would be more likely that, if paid handsomely enough beforehand, they would keep their clothes on and then not dance.

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Back boiler? Luxury.
As probably already mentioned we had a tin bath which would be set up in the back room and filled with water boiled in kettles and pans.
Depending on your place in the family the water might be lukewarm and a bit thick by the time your turn came up.

After the last ablution the bath would be dragged to the back door and the water tipped into the yard to rinse the brick path.
Warm water?.. You were lucky.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
The kind of pubs I used to go in, if they had 'strippers' in them, it would be more likely that, if paid handsomely enough beforehand, they would keep their clothes on and then not dance.
When a club with pole-dancers was planned for our area there were outraged letters in the local press.
One bloke joke that girls of the town were hard to look at with their clothes on!

I bet he didn't get lucky for a while.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Warm water?.. You were lucky.
As Queen Victoria said, With privacy and a quart of water, any woman may be clean. I can still make do with soap and cold water.
I can also wash my long hair in a basin with no spills and brush and rinse my teeth using water from a tumbler.

If things go really pearshaped and we end up in a nuclear winter or summat at least I won't stink.

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
Growing up we were lucky and had an indoor bathroom upstairs. But it did mean there was no third bedroom, so my brother and I shared until I was eleven (and him nine). My parents toyed with the idea of moving house but decided to stay, and our front room was turned into their bedroom so my brother and I could have a bedroom each. So we all lived in the 'dining room' which was about eight foot square. I do have lovely memories of us all sitting in there, one bar on the electric fire warming the place up, watching The Generation Game or It's a Knockout.

No other heating in the place, except the electric heater on the wall in the bathroom, which only my mother was allowed to use.

Mungoman

Mostly harmless...
Reaction score
Down here in the Antipodes we didn't have much of a problem with winter...we had a chip heater for the bath (a real one, with claw feet), and the outside dunny didn't stink so much and it didn't have maggots in it.

Summer was a bit of a trial though.

We found in our first year here, when the mercury went past 40, that the bathroom floor was THE place to stay during the day.

Nighttime was cooler if you dragged out the winter quilts and slept on those on the floor with a sheet over us...and the dunny? It was a tar coated drum that was collected every week by the 'SannoMan'. Enough said.

God Bless The SannoMan.

Still - it was brilliant when it rained in the summer. Shoes off, shirt off (35 degrees C) and away you went.

Dinobot

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
As Queen Victoria said, With privacy and a quart of water, any woman may be clean. I can still make do with soap and cold water.
I can also wash my long hair in a basin with no spills and brush and rinse my teeth using water from a tumbler.

If things go really pearshaped and we end up in a nuclear winter or summat at least I won't stink.
You say that, but really your cleaning regime looks like this...

DSC_9532.jpg

charliebrown

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I remember that on Saturday everyone was so happy because school was out for the weekend, and the local movie theater’s price was only a quarter of a dollar.

We got :

A twenty minute serial series of either Batman, or Superman, or Rocket Man.

We got a 15 minute Loony Tunes cartoon ( loved bugs bunny and the road runner).

Then we got the main feature like Nancy Drew or the Hardy Boys, or Andy Hardy.

When I think about it how uncomplicated things were !

Trevp666

Reaction score
Ah....'Saturday Morning Pictures'....now you're talking.

I have fond memories of going to the ABC cinema in Station Road, Edgware (now converted into flats) and seeing a short film which was preceded by, and followed by, a number of cartoons, an episode of 'Flash Gordon' or the original B&W superman, and some other 'fun' stuff done by the cinema like a lucky draw on your ticket number and cheap sweets and drinks.

Wouldn't get anything like it nowadays.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
We had the Odeon, a fantastic Art Deco cinema that was bulldozed along with the surrounding Victorian and Edwardian buildings in the cause of improvement. :mad:

It was so beautiful both inside and out that I feel I can remember every detail of it. The lighting and decor were just impossibly sophisticated.
The most glamorous place I saw as a child, for sure. :cool:

Giant R

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score

I have fond memories of going to the ABC cinema in Station Road, Edgware (now converted into flats) and seeing a short film which was preceded by, and followed by, a number of cartoons, an episode of 'Flash Gordon' or the original B&W superman, and some other 'fun' stuff done by the cinema like a lucky draw on your ticket number and cheap sweets and drinks.

Remember when you used to get a B movie along with the main film.

Trevp666

Reaction score
Yep. And when the 'main feature' would stop half-way through for a break.
And some bint would come round with a little tray suspended in front of her containing little tubs of ice-cream and drinks etc (the tray had a little light on it) and if you were particularly hungry you could rush to the foyer to get a hot-dog.
Because people couldn't survive for more than 45 minutes without food in them days.
Nowadays of course people are much more sensible and just bring a whole overpriced fucking picnic with them.

Last edited by a moderator:

eziofan

Junior Acolyte
Reaction score

My Mum was an usherette in our local ABC cinema in East Ham, London. I used to get in for free! I also remember my Dad taking me to see the first Doctor Who film and I spent most of the film hiding behind the seat!

Floyd1

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Down here in the Antipodes we didn't have much of a problem with winter...we had a chip heater for the bath (a real one, with claw feet), and the outside dunny didn't stink so much and it didn't have maggots in it.

Summer was a bit of a trial though.

We found in our first year here, when the mercury went past 40, that the bathroom floor was THE place to stay during the day.

Nighttime was cooler if you dragged out the winter quilts and slept on those on the floor with a sheet over us...and the dunny? It was a tar coated drum that was collected every week by the 'SannoMan'. Enough said.

God Bless The SannoMan.

Still - it was brilliant when it rained in the summer. Shoes off, shirt off (35 degrees C) and away you went.
Yes, but......Spiders?

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
And some bint would come round with a little tray suspended in front of her containing little tubs of ice-cream and drinks etc....

Seems a bit harsh to label her a 'bint' while she was carrying out such a laudable job as supplying ice-cream to the masses with those funny little wooden paddle-spoons.

Dinobot

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Yes, but......Spiders?
We weren't worried by them...

tumblr_a4686b1d3cc88b5c9ffc15e7cec30ef8_3a43be7e_400.gif

We had the Odeon, a fantastic Art Deco cinema that was bulldozed along with the surrounding Victorian and Edwardian buildings in the cause of improvement. :mad:

It was so beautiful both inside and out that I feel I can remember every detail of it. The lighting and decor were just impossibly sophisticated.
The most glamorous place I saw as a child, for sure. :cool:
And we dressed up for an outing to the fillums in those days!

1b75c04305437163df8da2751366c84c--lost-in-space-robots-vintage.jpg

charliebrown

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Boy, I forgot how I loved Flash Gordon with Buster Crabbe, and Ming the Merciless.

That stimulated my little gray cells.

In the early 1980’s, theaters at 12 midnight would play The Rocky Horror Picture Show with Tim Curry.

All the teens would come dressed up as their favorite character from the show and they would get on the stage and dance with film.

This went on for several years and all the young people in those days behaved very well, no problems.

Last edited:

Analogue Boy

Bar 6
Reaction score
Yep. And when the 'main feature' would stop half-way through for a break.
And some bint would come round with a little tray suspended in front of her containing little tubs of ice-cream and drinks etc
Beautifully done in Dr. Phibes Rises Again where his glamorous assistant arrives with the tray which has all the little bits of his face he needs to apply as makeup to cover his skull.