I Remember It Well....

charliebrown

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
A Kodak brownie camera was mentioned in another thread and I realize I forgot about my brownie camera.

When I was a teenager, my brownie camera was cheap, the film was cheap, and I gave my film to the local pharmacy and they sent it off to develop the film for me and that was cheap.

I took a lot of black & white pictures in my younger days.

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
We used to play 'games' in the 70s when we didn't have much else to do (usually during power cuts).
One I remember was like so;

'Consequences'
Each player was issued with a piece of paper about 4 inches wide by 10 inches long.
You had to write a little story about 2 people meeting, what they said to each other, and what the consequence of this meeting was.
So essentially;
<Mans name>
met
<Womans name>
at
<any place, or event etc>
HSTH (he said to her)
<whatever you think he would have said to her as a question etc>
SSTH (she said to him)
<whatever she would have replied to him with>
Consequence
<what the outcome of the exchange was>

However....
The idea was to try to be amusing with your choices and keep your characters and story consistent throughout, so maybe the 'He' might be an actor from a 'soap' and the 'she' another actor from a different soap, and they are at maybe an 'awards' show, and they might say something to each other that is full of euphemisms, with the 'consequence' some awful pun on the names of the 'soap', or whatever, just insert your own people, places, names, etc.

BUT.........what made it quite often hilarious was the fact that at each point of filling in the <name> etc you would fold over the paper to conceal what you had written, and everyone playing would pass their paper to the player on their left, and each person would continue with the next section, and so on.
At the end of the game every player is left is left with a completed, yet fully folded, disjointed story to unfold and read out.

Yeah, we had so much fun before 'Pong' was invented.

Trevp666

Reaction score
And 'Ceefax' used to have a page in the run up to Christmas that was a very blocky, 4-colour advent calendar, which had an added bit every day.

Trevp666

Reaction score
A similar 'folding paper' game we used to play was 'Odd Bodies'.
The idea being that everyone drew a 'head' at the top of their page, folded the paper so that the bottom of the neck could still be seen, then passed it on.
Then each player would draw the body and arms down to waist level, fold the paper leaving the waist visible and pass it on.
Then each player would draw the legs as far as the ankles etc.
Then each player would draw the feet.

Then everyone would unfold their paper and reveal the grotesquely mixed-up individual depicted.

Did I mention that I was born in 1966, not 1866?

Floyd1

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
The idea being that everyone drew a 'head' at the top of their page, folded the paper so that the bottom of the neck could still be seen, then passed it on.
Then each player would draw the body and arms down to waist level, fold the paper leaving the waist visible and pass it on.

Then everyone would unfold their paper and reveal the grotesquely mixed-up individual depicted.

No, no- I seem to remember that one as well. (Apart from a stick and a hoop we didn't have many toys to keep us occupied back then).

Dinobot

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score

I'm sure people were doing that during lockdown.

Not me, of course, not with @Tigerhawk on stand-by...

LegitimateCourageousFennecfox-size_restricted.gif

charliebrown

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Well, my wife told me something I never knew.

She said her mother put oranges in her leg nylons because that was all she had to hang on the fireplace.

My mom used our crew socks we wore during gym ( I hoped they were wash ) and also put oranges in them.

Today you can find very fancy socks to hang on the fireplace.

Analogue Boy

Bar 6
Reaction score
At infant school we were told to bring in a jam jar and we decorated them with crepe paper and cotton wool to make a Santa and we were encouraged in our efforts by the teacher who said there’d be a prize for the best design which would be decided the next day.
Next afternoon, we found out they’d all been filled with sweeties.
That’s the sort of magic moment that stays with you.

Last edited:

Analogue Boy

Bar 6
Reaction score
I think I’ve also mentioned that at infant school, our teachers would paint the school windows before Christmas with designs from Disney films like Bambi and Snow White.
In my head, I was judging and rating their efforts on how accurate they were to the original designs and took a dim view of the teachers who didn’t quite get them right.

Fluttermoth

Cult of Jari
Reaction score
We used to play 'games' in the 70s when we didn't have much else to do (usually during power cuts).
One I remember was like so;

'Consequences'
Each player was issued with a piece of paper about 4 inches wide by 10 inches long.
You had to write a little story about 2 people meeting, what they said to each other, and what the consequence of this meeting was.
So essentially;
<Mans name>
met
<Womans name>
at
<any place, or event etc>
HSTH (he said to her)
<whatever you think he would have said to her as a question etc>
SSTH (she said to him)
<whatever she would have replied to him with>
Consequence
<what the outcome of the exchange was>

However....
The idea was to try to be amusing with your choices and keep your characters and story consistent throughout, so maybe the 'He' might be an actor from a 'soap' and the 'she' another actor from a different soap, and they are at maybe an 'awards' show, and they might say something to each other that is full of euphemisms, with the 'consequence' some awful pun on the names of the 'soap', or whatever, just insert your own people, places, names, etc.

BUT.........what made it quite often hilarious was the fact that at each point of filling in the <name> etc you would fold over the paper to conceal what you had written, and everyone playing would pass their paper to the player on their left, and each person would continue with the next section, and so on.
At the end of the game every player is left is left with a completed, yet fully folded, disjointed story to unfold and read out.

Yeah, we had so much fun before 'Pong' was invented.
My family loves Consequences, we still play it at family gatherings (along with Cluedo, and a card game called 'Cheat', if anyone knows what that is :) ).

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score

That was a grand game. :cool:

When photocopiers became available to office wags in the early '70s people'd make jokey folded drawings like that to pass round in the pub.

One had the top halves of three fruits and the question 'Which would you eat?'
When you unfolded the lower half you found, well, lower parts but not of the fruits. :omg:
This was hilarious back in the day. :chuckle:

The same mindset now brings us amusing memes and gifs. Humour is a kind of genius. :cool:

Bad Bungle

Tutti but not Frutti.
Reaction score
My family loves Consequences, we still play it at family gatherings (along with Cluedo, and a card game called 'Cheat', if anyone knows what that is :) ).
Is Cheat where if the top card of your pile is a court card, the next player has to put down cards (4 for an ace, 3 for a king, 2 for a queen,1 for a jack) unless one of those cards is a court card, in which case the next player has to deal off cards - winner is the one with all the cards and no playmates ? Loved it but 45 years since I played that with my sisters.

Trevp666

Reaction score
4 for an ace, 3 for a king etc
No, that's "Beggar-my-neighbour" or "Strip Jack Naked" (it has various names)

We used to play "Chase the Ace" (aka 'scabby queen').
One of the 4 cards (AKQ or J) is removed from the deck, the cards distributed among the players, each player removes from their hand any pairs of cards, then it is taken in turns to select a card from the hand of the player to your right (beginning with the person who is holding the most cards) hoping to create another pair so that you can remove them from your hand also.
The loser is the person that is left with the spare card, or the 'scabby queen' as it were.

Floyd1

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score

We used to play "Chase the Ace" (aka 'scabby queen').
One of the 4 cards (AKQ or J) is removed from the deck, the cards distributed among the players, each player removes from their hand any pairs of cards, then it is taken in turns to select a card from the hand of the player to your right (beginning with the person who is holding the most cards) hoping to create another pair so that you can remove them from your hand also.
The loser is the person that is left with the spare card, or the 'scabby queen' as it were.
I remember playing cards with my Great Grandparents for matchsticks, but what we were playing, I don't know.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
The ex and I had four kids and we played card and board games as families do. I wanted us all to play Bridge but the ex said we'd have to learn to play some other game first and then move onto Bridge.

I reckoned our kids were bright enough to learn any card game and we'd all have fun together. We argued about it a few times and I dropped the subject as it enraged him so much.
Many years later it occurred to me that he was being stubborn because hadn't wanted to admit his own ignorance of Bridge. Twat. :mad:

Dinobot

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
The ex and I had four kids and we played card and board games as families do. I wanted us all to play Bridge but the ex said we'd have to learn to play some other game first and then move onto Bridge.

I reckoned our kids were bright enough to learn any card game and we'd all have fun together. We argued about it a few times and I dropped the subject as it enraged him so much.
Many years later it occurred to me that he was being stubborn because hadn't wanted to admit his own ignorance of Bridge. Twat. :mad:
Teach me your ways of Bridge...:wink2:

Fluttermoth

Cult of Jari
Reaction score
Is Cheat where if the top card of your pile is a court card, the next player has to put down cards (4 for an ace, 3 for a king, 2 for a queen,1 for a jack) unless one of those cards is a court card, in which case the next player has to deal off cards - winner is the one with all the cards and no playmates ? Loved it but 45 years since I played that with my sisters.
No, that's Strip-Jack-Naked, like Trevp666 said :)

Cheat is where you place your cards face down in the middle of the table and declare what you've put; "three twos", for example, then the next person has to put down aces, twos or threes to make a sequence; if you don't have the cards, you just put down any old thing and say "two threes". If you think the person before you has lied, you can shout 'CHEAT!' and they have to turn over the cards; if they were lying, they have to pick the whole pile from the table and add it to their hand, if they weren't lying, you have to pick up all the cards. First one to get rid of all their cards is the winner.

Hope I've explained that ok, I'm not a big card player!

Edit; One rather important point I forgot to mention; you need three or more players! My sister and I once tried to play it with just the two of us, um, yeah :D

Last edited:

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
Reaction score
We used to play all kinds of card games when I was a kid, especially with my Grandad who I was convinced was a bit of a hustler (he suffered from pretty bad dementia in his final years and still used to rinse us all at Pontoon at Christmas).

We still roll out the cards every festive season for a few rounds of Newmarket and Stop The Bus.

There as a games we used to play called 'Farmer's Glory' and not one of my family can remember who to play it.

Fluttermoth

Cult of Jari
Reaction score
My younger sister is a menace for card games! She used to come home EVERY holiday from Uni, saying, "oh, I must teach you this card game, it's really easy; Aces are low, unless the player to the left of the dealer knocked two rounds ago, and Hearts are trumps, unless the youngest player is a girl, in which case you can't win except on Tuesdays :pop: "

It's like Mornington Crescent all over again, I've never remembered any game she's taught me :chuckle: I only know the easy ones, like Gin Rummy, Cheat, Beggar-my-Neighbour, Patience, and even these quite often have different variations; you've spent 20 years playing a game, only to discover no-one else knows the rules you were taught, or they call it a different name entirely, it's so confusing!

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Reaction score
Poker! but only for money.

Bad Bungle

Tutti but not Frutti.
Reaction score
Yes, right - Strip Jack Naked/Beat your Neighbour out of Doors (as I knew it). Where did these names and rules come from ? Certainly not from my parents or TV, didn't play the games with schoolmates, only brother and sisters. I knew of Newmarket (50 years ago) and played a lot of Mall-mall (sp ?) when German cousins visited - but as for rules, I-remember-it-badly (new Thread ?)

Tunn11

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
I think I’ve also mentioned that at infant school, our teachers would paint the school windows before Christmas with designs from Disney films like Bambi and Snow White.
In my head, I was judging and rating their efforts on how accurate they were to the original designs and took a dim view of the teachers who didn’t quite get them right.
And they weren't sued?

What Tyler

Spoon, Jar, Jar, Spoon...
Reaction score
Eeee- when I were a nipper, for washing we went from a zinc bucket on stove, then had one of those single tub things that you had to sling a hose over the sink edge ( often the damn thing would “walk” - it never did it when it was being watched mind - typical “inanimate” stealth action-during washing and we’d find water all over the floor) and I do remember borrowing the agitator on occasion as a toy ‘ cos it looked like a space rocket)

...And then due to the wonders of Hire Purchase ( the Provident people seemed such good friends) suddenly it seemed, just like the obelisk from 2001: A Space Odyssey, a Hoover Keymatic appeared in our kitchen- and the future really was here! With just a orange or white plastic plate, with mysterious notches on each edge you could command this robot to do your washing- without help!
We literally sat and watched this thing for hours, fascinated how it just “knew” what to do- and the noise!

I can still, 50 years later hear that curious ‘click-clack’ as its notch driven brain worked through the washing programme...it really did seem a wonder....