• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

I Saw An Odd Thing Last Night

MorningAngel

Justified & Ancient
It’s probably something normal but it did seem odd. I saw it with my own eyes from an upstairs window. It was about the size of a hand and was like a not very tight wound ball of wool. It was in front of a window of our log cabin so either suspended like a spider (I hope it wasn’t that size) or stuck to the glass. Then it suddenly fell and I heard it land. I’ve attacked a picture taken from our video camera at the time. It’s not great you can just about see something black. What was it?

Attachments

• F93B154F-B902-4C94-A12E-F73274E0B6AD.jpeg
    F93B154F-B902-4C94-A12E-F73274E0B6AD.jpeg
    336.9 KB · Views: 105
I'm confused by the photo. I can't tell what it is that represents the mystery object within the red circle. Can you annotate the photo to more precisely indicate where the mystery object is within the image?

I'm confused by the photo. I can't tell what it is that represents the mystery object within the red circle. Can you annotate the photo to more precisely indicate where the mystery object is within the image?
It’s just to give you an idea where it was. There’s a tiny bit of black but you can’t really see it on that.

It’s just to give you an idea where it was. There’s a tiny bit of black but you can’t really see it on that.

Is that "tiny bit of black" the mystery object?

Dad suggested that but it was the middle of the window so something dangling a couple of feet down or sticking to the window, which I don’t think a bat could do.

Also it fell down to the ground.
Could it have possibly been some kind of Spider, or Moth Cocoon - as you describe it as appearing to look 'woolly' then dropping to the ground? P.S. Possibly - even a Moth being attacked by a Spider, then it drops down?

Last edited:
Ain't nature gross. I love it.

The caterpillar nests look spooky, but they are really rather cute. We had a load in the garden one year, all at head height, and my daughter spent ages taking photos of them.

It’s probably something normal but it did seem odd. I saw it with my own eyes from an upstairs window. It was about the size of a hand and was like a not very tight wound ball of wool. It was in front of a window of our log cabin so either suspended like a spider (I hope it wasn’t that size) or stuck to the glass. Then it suddenly fell and I heard it land. I’ve attacked a picture taken from our video camera at the time. It’s not great you can just about see something black. What was it?
Could it have been a bit smaller than hand-sized? I can't really see it as that big unless your shed window is very large. I wondered if it could be a cockroach or better still, a pair of cockroaches? If they had their wings out and they were reflecting the light a little bit they could look quite fuzzy and indistinct. They are armoured so could make quite a clatter if they drop to the ground suddenly.

I will let you look up and enjoy photos of mating cockroaches if you like! :p

Could it have been a bit smaller than hand-sized? I can't really see it as that big unless your shed window is very large. I wondered if it could be a cockroach or better still, a pair of cockroaches? If they had their wings out and they were reflecting the light a little bit they could look quite fuzzy and indistinct. They are armoured so could make quite a clatter if they drop to the ground suddenly.

I will let you look up and enjoy photos of mating cockroaches if you like! :p
It’s a log cabin and the windows are pretty big, here’s a picture from the inside. It’s the fact that I could see it some distance away from the house that made it have to be a decent size. I originally thought it was something stuck behind the curtain on the inside. I bet it was something gross.

Attachments

• DF0B19B7-3728-48A9-B735-D154DFCD0BE4.jpeg
    DF0B19B7-3728-48A9-B735-D154DFCD0BE4.jpeg
    191.6 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
I might have missed it, but what country are you in, and where in that country? This might help us to suggest a species.

The fuzzy ball appearance suggests a ball of caterpillars or some other insect swarm phenomenon. Bit late in the year, though.

I might have missed it, but what country are you in, and where in that country? This might help us to suggest a species.

The fuzzy ball appearance suggests a ball of caterpillars or some other insect swarm phenomenon. Bit late in the year, though.
The south east of England, not somewhere known for strangely things. Sorry forgot to say.

We’ve been very hot for a long time this summer so somethings maybe out of whack.

As soon as I read about the thing I remembered those weird things made out of goey/sticky latex or plastic - often in the shape of an octopus that you could buy in the 80s. You were supposed to throw them at the window and watch them "walk" down.....If you threw them and they didn't stick properly they would probably make a noise when they landed.

I am not suggesting this was what it was - Just thought of the thingys. Don't know what they were called but loads of Del Boy types would be selling them on stalls on the high street. I never had one. I am sure the novelty wore off after a while of throwing them at windows......

I wonder what it was.....?

As soon as I read about the thing I remembered those weird things made out of goey/sticky latex or plastic - often in the shape of an octopus that you could buy in the 80s. You were supposed to throw them at the window and watch them "walk" down.....If you threw them and they didn't stick properly they would probably make a noise when they landed.

I am not suggesting this was what it was - Just thought of the thingys. Don't know what they were called but loads of Del Boy types would be selling them on stalls on the high street. I never had one. I am sure the novelty wore off after a while of throwing them at windows......

I wonder what it was.....?
Still around in the 90s and early 2000s as my kids had them - if it was those gross alien things - and they'd lob them at the ceiling (couldn't get the marks off). Kids were just having nostalgia about them today - apparently some of them had "babies" inside and if you squished them the baby came out. Unless that's an urban myth. I remember accidentally putting one through the wash a kid left in his pocket and it wrecked the clothes lol.

Still around in the 90s and early 2000s as my kids had them - if it was those gross alien things - and they'd lob them at the ceiling (couldn't get the marks off). Kids were just having nostalgia about them today - apparently some of them had "babies" inside and if you squished them the baby came out. Unless that's an urban myth. I remember accidentally putting one through the wash a kid left in his pocket and it wrecked the clothes lol.
My mother couldn't see the point in the things. If I had bought one and left marks on the walls or windows my mother would have been going on about it forever as she is excessive/compulsively tidy.

She told me I wasn't allowed posters on my wall because the blue tack would leave marks on the wall. I ignored her. I know she was right but most teenagers want to put up posters. Without them my room had no identity. Just white wallpaper.....

She once put my shoes away before I had a chance to put them on to go to FE college.

One of the last times I went to hers I was eating a banana and yoghurt. I had put the banana inside the skin on my tray (as you do when you are in the middle of eating it) and she grabbed the skin to throw it away - with my banana inside.....She did apologise when she realised.

I do wonder what this fuzzy thing was.....maybe a small bat.....I want to see a sketch of the thing....because the image isn't very clear....

Back