• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Ice Skates & Missing Fingers

painy2

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
You know the tales, cousin dave wen tice skating last friday, he wasnt very good and fell over, while spread out over the floor along comes another skater you cant avoid him and runs straight over his fingers, severing them.

do you know anyone this has happened to? is it an UL? ive heard many FOAF stories, but no first hand knowledge.

Are the skates you hire at ice rinks actually that sharp? I'm usually more concerned that I'll get some speeding kid's boot in my face while I'm sprawled on the ice, than losing any fingers. Sure, we've all imagined what might happen if our hands got run over, but I've never heard of any actual severing.

Somebody must know!

Well apparently it CAN happen, but is unlikely with your hire skates. Ice hockey boots are the most likely culprit (which is why they are banned from public sessions at yer local ice rink). I have been for ice skating lessons that have been held after an ice hockey match, and seen large amounts of blood on the ice, but no actual fingers. But you are told in the lessons how to fall over and to always keep your fists clenched when it happens. YUK. :?

painy2 said:
You know the tales, cousin dave wen tice skating last friday, he wasnt very good and fell over, while spread out over the floor along comes another skater you cant avoid him and runs straight over his fingers, severing them.

do you know anyone this has happened to? is it an UL? ive heard many FOAF stories, but no first hand knowledge.

The UL has been going since the early 70s at least. A friend of mine at primary school claimed her sister saw a lady loose her fingers like that at the ice rink... I'm not sure that I believed her even then!

hmm, well first hand (pardon the pun) tells me i did not loose any fingers when i had mine run over as i slid spread eagled across the rink and no they are not sharp (general use skates as you hire) the idea is that the friction on the flat of the blade melts the ice so you are half "floating" half
"sliding" accros the ice, or so ive been told.

Having just asked someone who worked on an A&E dept near an ice rink, the answer is apparently no. Normal rink skates can break your fingers quite readily, but not sever them. Ice hockey ones can cause serious lacerations, but again actual loss of digit is very rare, and that is as likely a result of the crush injury as the cut.

That's under British H&S regs though, so don't know about abroad.

(It's so cute how you Brits preface "hockey" with "ice", tee hee :)) There was a case a few years ago of a goalie, I believe, falling the wrong way in a melee and getting his throat cut by a skate blade.

Leaferne said:
(It's so cute how you Brits preface "hockey" with "ice", tee hee :)) .
That's because this side of the pond, "hockey" is a bunch of marauding women in short skirts (and occasionally men, not necessarily in short skirts) running around a field and attacking each other with sticks.

The former is quite fun to watch :).

(It's so cute how you Brits preface "hockey" with "ice", tee hee ) There was a case a few years ago of a goalie, I believe, falling the wrong way in a melee and getting his throat cut by a skate blade.

Hmm, a memorable Buffy slaying involved her kicking the vamp in the throat.

While wearing ice skates.

Ouch.

Leaferne said:
(It's so cute how you Brits preface "hockey" with "ice", tee hee :))
Isn't it just? But not as cute as you guys saying "soccer" when you mean "football"!

That's because this side of the pond, "hockey" is a bunch of marauding women in short skirts (and occasionally men, not necessarily in short skirts) running around a field and attacking each other with sticks.

You call that attacking each other with sticks hah!!! You should come to Ireland and have a look at a hurling game, now that is running around a field attacking each other with sticks.

We were forced to play Shinty at junior school by a sadistic Head Teacher :(

The former is quite fun to watch

No disrespect to any hockey players out there, my ex-PE and form tutor played County hockey and for England ;), but I have on occasion thought I was watching the men's hockey when in actual fact it was the women's :oops:

Going back to the skates severing fingers - I used to be an avid skater at one time and agree with what has already been said. The skates that you would hire for 'family' or public sessions wouldn't sever a finger. More like break or bruise and it's the Ice Hockey skates that would cause more damage to the body.

Hockey...ice hockey.....who cares? Im still coming to terms with Tom Hanks' use for an ice skate in that movie where he was on an island talking to a football (soccer ball?)......................OUCH! :cry:

:lol: hee hee, thanks Leafy. I definitely wouldnt have known that. The nearest I came to a volleyball was taking one in the eye on Cocoa Beach back in '89 :?

Leaferne said:
There was a case a few years ago of a goalie, I believe, falling the wrong way in a melee and getting his throat cut by a skate blade.

That was Clint Malarchuk of Buffalo - ironically the team is called the Sabres. There are horrific pictures of him clutching at his throat while blood pours out like something from a slasher movie. He survived but never played well again and is now a coach.

Goalies now wear Kevlar neck protectors.

We talked about this (fingers cut by skates) in my primary school in the Czech Republic. That must have been 1967-1969. So it's both an international and an old urban legend!

Having just been ice skating I doubt this very much. You could ride bare arsed to London on one of the hire skates they are that blunt.

As for ice hockey skates being banned from public sessions I didn't see that in eveidence either given the amount of dick heads speeding around the rink wearing them.

Well aaactually, I went skating with my other half a few years ago, and he fell over (well, I ran into him to be honest) - and I ran over his little finger and cut it. Ok so it wasn't hanging off, but it was bleeding badly enough for us to have to go and find the first aider to patch it up (in the first aid room with leaves and a rat trap in, nice). I was able to do this with an allegedly blunt ice-rink-hire skate, and I think it could have been worse, frankly. THough maybe not actually severed heheh. He's a guitarist, and funnily enough we have not been skating since (I think he's afraid for his fingers).

Something similar happened at the rink the other day. Just caused a nasty gash though not severing completely. If it ever does happen though at least there is plenty of ice to pack them in :lol:

Back