• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Ice Worms

Sharon Hill

Complicated biological machine

The Mysterious Return Of Glacier Ice Worms​

Small black flecks suddenly appear on the previously blank expanse of white. The glacier's surface quickly transforms as more and more tiny black creatures emerge. The ice worms have returned, snaking in between ice crystals and shimmering in the sun.

These thread-like worms, each only about an inch long, wiggle up en masse in the summertime, late in the afternoon, to do — what? Scientists don't know. It's just one of many mysteries about these worms, which have barely been studied, even though they're the most abundant critter living up there in the snow and ice.
https://www.npr.org/2021/07/13/1011...ns-the-mysterious-return-of-glacier-ice-worms

This article doesn't say it but it appears they are enchytraeid annelids of the genus Mesenchytraeus.

They only live on glaciers. Weird. More https://glaciers.nichols.edu/iceworm/

Small black flecks suddenly appear on the previously blank expanse of white. The glacier's surface quickly transforms as more and more tiny black creatures emerge. The ice worms have returned, snaking in between ice crystals and shimmering in the sun.

These thread-like worms, each only about an inch long, wiggle up en masse in the summertime, late in the afternoon, to do — what? Scientists don't know. It's just one of many mysteries about these worms.
Well, our home grown garden worms (recollection's from dark nights in the Summertime, hunting for them to go fishing with the following day), used to be out on mass on certain nights too - to mate!
Maybe the ice-worms have to make compromises with their particular climate conditions and circumstances, by making better use of daytime hours, as it might take them a long time to wriggle up through the ice, (just how deep do they go anyway?), and equally as long to get back down under again into their safer - more secure environment.

Last edited:

These thread-like worms, each only about an inch long, wiggle up en masse in the summertime, late in the afternoon, to do — what? Scientists don't know. It's just one of many mysteries about these worms, which have barely been studied, even though they're the most abundant critter living up there in the snow and ice.
https://www.npr.org/2021/07/13/1011...ns-the-mysterious-return-of-glacier-ice-worms

This article doesn't say it but it appears they are enchytraeid annelids of the genus Mesenchytraeus.

They only live on glaciers. Weird. More https://glaciers.nichols.edu/iceworm/
https://www.scienceandthesea.org/program/200709/ice-worms

Is this cryptozoological? It's certainly adjacent and related but as these animals are known to exist, isn't this "animal weirdness" or "science weirdness" for forum catalogue purposes?

Very interesting at any rate.

Is this cryptozoological? It's certainly adjacent and related but as these animals are known to exist, isn't this "animal weirdness" or "science weirdness" for forum catalogue purposes?

Very interesting at any rate.
I believe this particular subject would probably fit into both categories 'Ogred!' Certainly very strange .:cool3:

Good point ... Thread moved to Fortean Fauna.

I believe this particular subject would probably fit into both categories 'Ogred!' Certainly very strange .:cool3:

Absolutely, Forteana is porous and amorphous but I suppose that, strictly speaking, Cryptozoology ought to be reserved for "unkown" animals, whether they are tiny or enormous, exotic or seemingly mundane. We know about these worms, even if we know little about them.

Last edited:
Absolutely, Forteana, I suppose though, strictly speaking, Cryptozoology ought to be reserved for "unkown" animals, whether they are tiny or enormous, exotic or seemingly mundane. We know about these worms, even if we know little about them.
Would make a great subject for a David Attenborough 'in depth' (no pun intended) documentary ~ can't say (like I would suggest that many here on Forteana), have never even heard the mearest mention of the paraphyletic weird'nessy things!
1626512650261.png

Last edited:
Would make a great subject for a David Attenborough 'in depth' (no pun intended) documentary ~ can't say (like I would suggest that many here on Forteana, have never even heard the mearest mention of the paraphyletic weird'nessy things!
View attachment 42189

I think they are baby Shai Hulud.

Back