• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Identified Flying Object?

Peripart

Antediluvian
Here's an odd one.

I worked a bit late tonight, and at about 7.50pm was driving home through New Oscott, Birmingham. For those who vaguely know the area, I was passing the bloody great Tesco superstore.

Anyway, I was headed West-ish along the Chester Road, when I saw some aircraft lights up ahead. There were the red and green wing-lights, and some white landing-lights, too, and from the orientation of the lights I could tell that the plane was headed towards me. It would have been just over the nearest point of Sutton Park when I spotted it (half a mile or so).

I only gave the plane a second glance because it seemed to be flying very low compared to the usual air traffic in the area. Assuming that it was an airliner, I took it to be travelling at about 1000ft - pure guesswork on my part, I admit, but it seemd lower than I would have expected if it had been on approach to Birmingham Airport.

But here's the thing - I was travelling almost directly towards this plane (it would eventually pass just on my right), but it hardly seemed to be getting any closer. You know how it is: an airliner will seem to take while to approach, but as it nears, its apparent speed increases and then it's gone in a flash. This wasn't like that at all. At last, and bear in mind that I'm doing 30mph towards this aircraft, I drew level with it, and as the traffic was quiet, I was able to look out of the side window of my car as we passed. It was bizarre, and here's why:

I am convinced, as I sit here typing this, that this plane was travelling no faster than my car. I was able to take a good look, and although able to discern that it was not, after all, as big as a large airliner, it was no Cessna or other light aircraft. It was a fixed-wing craft, by the look of it a jet, and it was literally dawdling over the rooftops of a busy suburb, at a speed which would surely cause the lightest plane to stall.

The only thing I can think is that it was a Harrier jump-jet, and indeed the size and shape would be about right for that interpretation. But what on earth would a military plane like a Harrier be doing hovering over Sutton Coldfield on a Thursday night? Has anyone else seen anything of this kind, or should I visit an optician ASAP?

It could be an optical illusion, after all objects on the move far away can look as if they're not travelling very fast.

It's just about possible I was fooled regarding the speed, gncxx (how do you pronounce that, BTW), but thanks to the street lighting below, I was able to discern the outline of this plane, and its proportions looked like those of a fighter. What is more, my very firm impression was that it was all but hovering, doing no more than the kind of speed that you'd expect of a police helicopter searching for something on the ground. As I said, by the time we passed, it was really only a few hundred yards to my right.

The thing is, if I'd been out in the country somewhere really remote, and had had this sighting, I'd have been in no doubt whatsoever that I'd spotted a Harrier on some kind of exercise. But over a built-up area, within 10 miles of a couple of million people? I can't make sense of it. Unless this is the West Midlands Police's new weapon against crime, in which case I'll be watching my speed from now on.

Interesting... I read your account then immediately after read this... I thought it was an odd correlation; that of the Harrier jets apparently being 'nearby'.

UK/England Egg

Birmingham -- I saw a bright blue white egg shaped object flying above houses on December 11, 2006, at 10:50 PM, with no sound, no trail, traveling at speed faster than a helicopter, slower than a shooting star. The last time I saw something flying almost as fast was a Harrier Jet (their base was not far away from my brother's house and it was nothing out of the ordinary for him) flying at night above a small village. The sighting of whatever I saw happened when I was coming home from dancing lessons. I had just turned off the Birmingham Road and was traveling at about twenty miles per hour up a very steep hill. The weather was cold with a completely clear sky with no moon. I do not know the direction it was going but it appeared in my sight line at about 1 o'clock and disappeared at about 10 o'clock, or right to left. (it is hard to tell the height but it was low). The size was about three times bigger than the stars in the plow. Thanks to Peter Davenport Director www.ufocenter.com

Link:

http://www.ufoinfo.com/filer/2007/ff0701.shtml

Interesting.

Planes can fly at surprisingly low speeds. The WWII German Fieseler Fi 156 Storch (Stork) observation plane, for instance, could hover if pointed into the wind. It could also land on a sixpence due to its superb aeronautical design.

Explanations that occur to me are:

1. Is there a military air display due to occur at or near Brum? This might involve a Harrier landing at a civil airfield.

2. If it was a Harrier, it might have been forced to land for any of a variety of reasons. (One was forced down on a container ship at sea a few years ago!)

3. Modern STOL (Short Take-Off & Landing) aircraft can accomplish very slow speeds during approach.

4. It might have been an optical illusion due to your concentration on driving. We have all experienced the "autopilot syndrome" where we suddenly realise that we don't recall driving the last mile or so.

maximus otter

Peripart said:
It's just about possible I was fooled regarding the speed, gncxx (how do you pronounce that, BTW)

I knew I should have picked a better forum name. It's the sound you make when you're trying to suppress a sneeze, I think. It's only supposed to be GNC, but board redesign put paid to that.

Anyway, on with the thread...

Over a third of a century ago my friends and I liked nothing better than to get recreationally 'obtuse-ified', hike up a steep bank onto the elevated end of a local airport runway, sit down, and wait for airliners to come in directly at us...

... It was, as the period vernacular phrased it, 'quite the rush ...' :D

Anyway ...

One of the most fascinating aspects of viewing a landing head-on is that the plane doesn't seem to move at all. It seems to hover in the sky and just, well, *expand*. The surrealism of this view is amplified by the fact you don't hear any engine noise. There's a protracted period of silence as the aircraft seems to hover nearer and nearer (to the point you can clearly see the pilot and co-pilot through the windshields)....

... and then *WHOOSH* - it passes by right over your head, accompanied by a sudden blast of noise, fuel smell, and wind. The disruption of the air around you is so intense that you can hear the whooshing and whistling of small vortices or eddies all around, as if the atmosphere had been frothed up in a high-speed blender.

... So I don't find your account of oddly low apparent motion surprising at all ...

EnolaGaia said:
Over a third of a century ago my friends and I liked nothing better than to get recreationally 'obtuse-ified', hike up a steep bank onto the elevated end of a local airport runway, sit down, and wait for airliners to come in directly at us...

... It was, as the period vernacular phrased it, 'quite the rush ...' :D

Anyway ...

One of the most fascinating aspects of viewing a landing head-on is that the plane doesn't seem to move at all. It seems to hover in the sky and just, well, *expand*. The surrealism of this view is amplified by the fact you don't hear any engine noise. There's a protracted period of silence as the aircraft seems to hover nearer and nearer (to the point you can clearly see the pilot and co-pilot through the windshields)....

... and then *WHOOSH* - it passes by right over your head, accompanied by a sudden blast of noise, fuel smell, and wind. The disruption of the air around you is so intense that you can hear the whooshing and whistling of small vortices or eddies all around, as if the atmosphere had been frothed up in a high-speed blender.

... So I don't find your account of oddly low apparent motion surprising at all ...

I'm now thinking about Wayne's World! Anybody know an English airport you can experience this? I wanna play! :(

Peri - Interesting story, esp. as it would seem you aren't the only person to have seen an aircraft over Brum. Can't think of a legitimate reason for an STOL/VTOL to be pootling over a city at night (in this country), but my work as a military strategist is limited!!!

EnolaGaia said:
... and then *WHOOSH* - it passes by right over your head... The disruption of the air around you is so intense that you can hear the whooshing and whistling of small vortices or eddies all around, as if the atmosphere had been frothed up in a high-speed blender.

But that's it, you see - there was no "WHOOSH"! I'm familiar with the experience you describe. As you say, when it's head-on, a plane will seem to take an age to arrive, but the whole thing with this one was that as it drew level, the bugger still didn't seem to be moving much. It was lit well enough from below to gauge its approximate size, and to guess that it was a few hundred yards away and at a similar altitude - I'd put its apparent elevation at about 30 degrees from where I was sitting.

I've seen enough planes around here, and elsewhere, to know what to expect when a low-flying aircraft approaches and then flies past. The very fact that this plane's approach so confounded those expectations was what prompted me to post here. As I said before, unless the local police have come into some money and invested in Harriers for chasing down criminals, I really can't think what an apparent military jet was doing over Birminham's northern suburbs, even if I got its speed totally wrong.

Trust me - I won't be posting in "It happened to me" every time I see an aeroplane. This isn't Norfolk.

(Apologies to anyone living in Norfolk - it must be awful for you)

Mr_Seaweedski said:
EnolaGaia said:

I'm now thinking about Wayne's World! Anybody know an English airport you can experience this? I wanna play! :(

Dungeon Lane, Speke (John Lennon Airport).

EDIT - Saw and filmed Concorde from that lane on numerous occasions. Also a Lockheed C-5 Galaxy. Now that's a BIG f*cker to pass metres above your head!

lockheed_C5_Galaxy_6.jpg

It could have been an Airbus Beluga. They are used to ferry things like wing parts aroud Europe (I am pretty sure they fly stuff to the Airbus centre in Birmingham). They fly extremely slowly (I once stopped my car to look at this weird plane which appeared stationary in the sky!) on landing and take-off, so this could easily have been what you saw. And when I saw slowly - you have to see it to believe it. It is hard to see how it doesn't just drop out of the sky.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airbus_Beluga

if it was a harrier flying low, it would have made one hell of a noise. silent gliders these things ain't.

Back