Identifying Some 1970s Supernatural TV Dramas (UK)

Shady

Mary Queen of Scots...temping as DEATHS Kitty
I will not watch that, it's dark here, and even tho I have no stairs, it still will be spooky :p I will watch it tomorrow

onetwothree

Sigils, Prosecco and crying are my main talents.
Damnit! The one time I could actually be helpful, you buggers have all got there before me! I knew Genesis and Catastrophe because I first read it years and years ago.

Sapphire and Steel definitely stands the test of time; I've been watching it recently and it's wonderful.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Sapphire and Steel definitely stands the test of time; I've been watching it recently and it's wonderful.
There's a great in-depth interview with David and Joanna in the latest TV Years magazine, the science fiction special. They're both very proud of the programme, I'm happy to read, though Joanna thought the final episode a letdown because it was never resolved (the TV company lost its ITV franchise, so the series ended there).

Timelord2u

Fresh Blood
I remember only about 20 seconds of Ace of Wands when some-one (hypnotised ?) was teetering on a roadside kerb stone but from his perspective he was on the edge of a high roof top. But the theme tune has remained unforgettable.
I think that story was called Peacock Pie

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Tarry Dan, Tarry Dan, Scarey Old Spooky Man, Catch me if you can... (Port Isaac, Cornwall). BBC May 1st 1978 on late as I remember.

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Did Penda's Fen have a neighbourhood couple visited by the central character? and the female partner digging in the garden and finding a baby skeleton?

:dunno:
Penda's Fen – now that's a programme you shouldn't watch when you're 11 years old – haven't seen it since then (1974) though as it's now available on YouTube I may give it a go...

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
I remember liking Ace of Wands from the 70’s with the lead actor being called Tarot. It probably kickstarted my interaction with the cards themselves.
Treated myself to the DVD box set a few years ago. The episodes range from excellent ("Peacock Pie") to a bit cringeworthy. Overall worth a look though.
A shame that, rather like some classic Doctor Who, several episode master tapes were wiped and are gone forever.

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
it's now available on YouTube I may give it a go...
In a manner of speaking, it has been on Youtube for some years. There was once a version from a rough video source, which became nearly unwatchable in the concluding minutes. It was, at least, complete and played at the correct speed.

Other versions were speeded-up or window-boxed for maximum viewing discomfort. The only one I could find today is both!

The BFI have put it out on both DVD and BluRay for no very great expense. :comphit:

GNC

King-Sized Canary
The Penda's Fen Blu-ray is well worth it, it looks probably better than it did when it was first broadcast.

Tapeloop

Junior Acolyte
The episodes of Sapphire & Steel with the faceless man utterly terrified me as a child, and I only saw the trailer! Nightmares for weeks. Even more than the Chewits advert monster, I had to hide in the kitchen for them...

Shady

In the last episode of Sapphire and Steel were they not trapped in a gas station? prolly the transdimensional one :p
And I remember Choccie, and one called Skye, or was that the name of the character?
weird begining lol

Shady

Yes dear, its the one in my post, i spelt it wrong :p It's been a long time :D

Timble2

Imaginary Person
....Trying to flesh out the hitler one...the unreliable images in my mind are that it was a short play of 30 or 60 minutes. It largely centred on a white moustachioed angry austrian/german gentleman, and a woman..his wife presumably...due to give birth. If it was historically accurate then the setting would be a small austrian town but if i didn't know that my memory would have embellished it as a snowed in alpine guest house. Whether there was a supernatural element to the tale - such as a prophecy or curse - i don't know, other than it had the Tales Of The Unexpected twist/revelation about the child's name. I associate it with a supernatural drama series primarily because i have a connection in my mind to an earlier/later episode having the werewolf theme.
Relentlessly determined to track this down - rang my bell as well - surely this is our source:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genesis_and_Catastrophe:_A_True_Story
It actually was a Tales of the Unexpected (Roald Dahl's Tales of the Unexpected), they dropped the Roald Dahl bit after they ran out of his stories. As comfortably numb pointed out this was 'Genesis and Catastrophe' by a Roald Dahl. It was made by Anglia TV, the series was filmed around Norwich and Norfolk, you'd occasionally run across a film crew with a famous thesp filming a scene, in the 70 - 80s.

MissViolet

Fresh Blood
I was terrified of the BBC paranormal recreation/discussion show Leap in the Dark. I had never seen it. There was a scary article in the Radio Times about it and that, combined with a very 1970s title slide, suggested that it was the most horrifying thing ever committed to videotape. Still haven't seen it, thinking on the subject.

I suspect I might have been mistaken.

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector