• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Identifying Some 1970s Supernatural TV Dramas (UK)

Hi all-
This is actually my first post here - and it was this very thread that brought me to this forum. I'm a lover of all things odd and eerie and have a particular fondness for UK TV supernatural dramas from the 70s and 80s. There's just something extra unsettling about their atmosphere can't I cant place... or perhaps its because they bring back memories of childhood, when things still had the power to TRULY terrify you. (The Tales From the Unexpected theme still gives me goosebumps).
There's a show of this ilk that I've been searching for what feels like forever, with no luck. But the people on this thread really seem to know their stuff so I'm hoping that maybe someone can help me out here, because I'd LOVE to see this one again. I remember it as being absolutely terrifying, and if it even lives up to a fraction of what I remember... it should be something of a classic.
It was British and shown on UK TV, sometime in the early to mid 80s I should think. I'm not sure if it was a standalone made-for-TV thing or part of an anthology series... but the atmosphere and filming style was very similar to those 'Ghost Story For Christmas' type shows, although this one had a contemporary setting. I thought it might have been an episode of the later season of Hammer House... but Ive watched all of them now, and have drawn a blank.
I was born in 78, and am pretty sure I saw this when I was between 7-10 years old. The story followed a young couple who got a gig caretaking a school that I think was on an island... or at least was very desolate. I remember lots of eerie fog, etc. For whatever reason, the school was closed up and they were the only ones there. There may have been an old custodian as well, a vaguely remember some creepy older character being involved.
One of the pair (I believe the wife) starts seeing a ghostly young girl around the school, and the husband doesn't believe her. There's some kind of ghost story related to the place, and the husband puts it down to her nerves and imagination, and this starts to put a strain on their relationship.
Although I could be getting some story details fuzzy, the thing I remember with absolute clarity is the terrifying ending: the couple start getting hot and heavy in the school, and this culminates in the husband tying the wife up (yeah, i probably shouldnt have been watching this give the fact I was so young, lol) using (I think) a skipping rope. (side note - If anyone here went to a British school, you'll remember the rows of coathanger we used to have outside the classrooms in some older schools... the low bench type, with metal hangers for coats and bags on top, right? Well, this is what he ties her to.)
So, the husband binds the wife's wrists with the rope to the metal hangers, so she's left facing away from him... and things are getting a bit hot and heavy when - for some reason - he is compelled to run off for a moment. (maybe he hears something and goes to check. Something strange and unepexted happens, anyway). This leaves the wife tied up and freaking out, when - wouldn't you know it - the ghostly young girl appears, and now she's got a sickle in her hand. While the woman begs her to stop, the girl - in proper 'Children of the Corn' style - proceeds to hack the young woman to bits while she screams helplessly.
I think meanwhile, the husband meets some equally terrible fate and although he can hear her screams, he cannot help her and this is pretty much the end. In fact, now I 6hink about it there may have been a frozen lake involved, and he perhaps goes through the ice and drowns while trying to rescue a stuck child who is actually a ghost.
What I do know is that this bloody show freaked me out and gave me severe nightmares at the time. Aside from the vague timeframe, I was in the north west of England if perhaps this might have been some kind of regional production although I doubt it. If anybody has any ideas, I'd love to track this down and see it again. Shows I've thought it might be, but it has turned out NOT to be include A Ghost Story At Christmas, The Frighteners, Hammer House of Horror / Mystery and Suspense, Supernatural, etc.
Can anybody help a nostalgic horror movie fan out? Thanks in advance for any clues!

Possibly “Fear in the night”. A 1972 Hammer film. It is set in an old,empty school with an old custodian ((Peter Cushing). Judy Geeson and I think Joan Collins both get tied up at different points during the film.
Not an exact match from the information you have provided but pretty close.

Oh, that one rings bells.

I can remember the plot very well, even after only seeing it once as a young teenager, but won't be disclosing details in case it crops up on youtube or whatever and people can enjoy it!

Had no luck with Worlds Beyond, unfortunately. Although it's quite a cool show. For a start, the show I'm thinking of was one of those hour-long ones, I'm quite sure about that. None of the episodes I found on Youtube were familiar.
escargot - You can find several episodes of (the quite excellent) series Supernatural on YouTube, just search for Supernatural 1977.
Also, someone seems to have uploaded the pilot episode of Leap In The Dark via YouTube, which people were discussing a little further back. If you look up "Leap in the Dark - Pilot - 09/01/1973" you should find it. It's great, with a fantastic 70s synth score & amazing fashions!

-Stilill, I'm sorry missed your reply.
I'm a BIG Hammer fan and love pretty much anything with Peter Cushing in it. Unfortunately, that's not the one though, although you're right there are some interesting similarities in the setting. This one was definitely made for TV. My search continues...
Thanks for all the suggestions so far, everyone. If nothing else, you've turned me on to some really great shows I didn't know about!

I remember seeing an episode or part of an episode of Ace of Wands, starring the actor who was in Porridge as a prison warden. He was a scary bloody bloke in the episode and I think it may have been a two parter. Wish I could remember his name!!!!

Thanks Gordon, but may have to check IMDb, as I can't place the name to the face, be back in a mo!!!

I remember seeing an episode or part of an episode of Ace of Wands, starring the actor who was in Porridge as a prison warden. He was a scary bloody bloke in the episode and I think it may have been a two parter. Wish I could remember his name!!!!

That was Brian Wilde, as Gordon kindly mentioned. Wilde was also in The Night of the Demon!

Back again Gordon and yes, you're right it was him. Poor bloke died in 2008, checked his filmography and he was in Ace of Wand in a three parter as Mr Peacock. Such an accomplished actor to star in two series that scared the hell out of you once and made you laugh in another series.

Back again Gordon and yes, you're right it was him. Poor bloke died in 2008, checked his filmography and he was in Ace of Wand in a three parter as Mr Peacock. Such an accomplished actor to star in two series that scared the hell out of you once and made you laugh in another series.

I have a book of Porridge scripts which includes interviews with most of the (then surviving) cast except for Wilde, who declined. Strange, as that was one of his best-known and popular roles.

Mr Barrowclough in Porridge and for a lot of people Foggy in Last of the Summer Wine. Not a show I cared for, there’s only so many times seeing three men roll down a hill in a bathtub can be regarded as funny.

He was also in the classic horror movie Night of the Demon

I have a book of Porridge scripts which includes interviews with most of the (then surviving) cast except for Wilde, who declined. Strange, as that was one of his best-known and popular roles.

Apparently Wilde was very full of himself, and thought he should always be top-billed in his projects. Others disagreed.

Apparently Wilde was very full of himself, and thought he should always be top-billed in his projects. Others disagreed.
Really, oh what a prima donna!

Here's a great find. The younger and further away may not have reason to recall that back in the 70s British children's TV often included very literate paranormal themed drama serials. What they lacked in production values relative to today they made up for in intelligent treatment and dialogue. One of the spookiest and most memorable - if only for the creepy pagan chanting that litters the soundtrack - was Children Of The Stones. The whole series is on youtube as a single 2 and a half hour video. I'm 3 episodes in and we've had premonitions, psychometry, leylines, curses, stepford wives/bodysnatchers vibes, and the casting of runes (or rather bones). If you've never seen/can't remember it, overall its most obviously in the same bracket as The Wickerman or the more recent Midsommar.

https://youtu.be/SwT0wLnT7Rc

Last edited:
This looks interesting. Leap In The Dark a programme which ran from 1973-1980. The first series consisted solely of documentaries and only the pilot episode is still available from the first series. The other three series were supernatural dramas. Some are available on YouTube. I’ve never heard of it before but I’m sure some of you have.

My younger brother and I loved that as kids and would try to join in with the song although we couldn't catch all the lyrics.
A crucial bit of our version went:

Tarot cards
Tarot the dommaman
Tarot cards
Wherever he can

What was a 'dommaman'? And why would he 'card', and what was 'carding' anyway?
It seemed to make no sense. :dunno:

Just now I looked up the lyrics for the first time. Diamond Man and guards, durr. :chuckle:

Actual lyrics.
Jet white dove
Snow black snake
Time has turned his face
From the edge of mystery
Where running is no race

Ageless night
Careless day
Fate reaches out a hand
To touch the edge of destiny
A story with no end

---Chorus,

Tarot cards
Tarot the diamond man
Tarot guards
Wherever he can
Tarot cards
Tarot the diamond man
Tarot guards with mystic hands

Falcon sun
Leopard moon
Minds searching for tomorrow
Take what you can from yesterday
The rest beg - steal - or borrow

Iron roads
Asphalt sky
Windows made from water
Son of secrets - mystery's child
Ruler of eight quarters

Chorus

Velvet roofs
Tattooed streets
Patterns made from words
Laughter echoes in the dark
Life hovers like a bird

Repeat Chorus

Golly I loved Ace of Wands! That, and Doctor Who are responsible for my interest in the Weird, chiefly The Daemons with Jon Pertwee. I was always slightly disappointed that everything seemed to end up being Aliens, when a creepy down-to-earth solution would have been scarier.

I do remember Petra Markham being in Ace of Wands. I wrote a story at schook subsequently (aged about 13) in which the main character was a woman called Petra, and I remember the class laughing themselves stupid when the teacher read it out, because their only exposure to the name was as that of the Blue Peter dog.

Still rankles. Bloody peasants.

I enjoyed Stigma which was on BBC4 last Monday, hadn't seen that since it was originally broadcast. I have a vague memory of a supernatural play broadcast in the late 70s or early 80s I think, which ( I seem to recall) was also set in or around Avebury or a stone circle. I can't remember the plot at all apart from it being set in a cottage and ended with a view of the cottage from outside with an upstairs light being turned on and off?
I always thought it was Stigma actually but now realise it wasn't :chuckle: Any ideas at all?

Still rankles. Bloody peasants.
As I've previously complained, I was once told off in class when aged about 9 for making up an animal.

Reading about bats in an encyclopaedia, I was enthralled to learn about a large species called the 'flying fox' which I wrote about in my book and probably drew a lovely picture of a vampiric Basil Brush character.

Immediate and public humiliation followed as FOXES CANNOT FLY and there was NO SUCH ANIMAL.

yet still it flies :bthumbup:

My younger brother and I loved that as kids and would try to join in with the song although we couldn't catch all the lyrics.
A crucial bit of our version went:

Tarot cards
Tarot the dommaman
Tarot cards
Wherever he can

What was a 'dommaman'? And why would he 'card', and what was 'carding' anyway?
It seemed to make no sense. :dunno:

Just now I looked up the lyrics for the first time. Diamond Man and guards, durr. :chuckle:

Actual lyrics.
Jet white dove
Snow black snake
Time has turned his face
From the edge of mystery
Where running is no race

Ageless night
Careless day
Fate reaches out a hand
To touch the edge of destiny
A story with no end

---Chorus,

Tarot cards
Tarot the diamond man
Tarot guards
Wherever he can
Tarot cards
Tarot the diamond man
Tarot guards with mystic hands

Falcon sun
Leopard moon
Minds searching for tomorrow
Take what you can from yesterday
The rest beg - steal - or borrow

Iron roads
Asphalt sky
Windows made from water
Son of secrets - mystery's child
Ruler of eight quarters

Chorus

Velvet roofs
Tattooed streets
Patterns made from words
Laughter echoes in the dark
Life hovers like a bird

Repeat Chorus
I just gave that a listen and really liked it! That discordant guitar strum at the end just fits.

I enjoyed Stigma which was on BBC4 last Monday, hadn't seen that since it was originally broadcast. I have a vague memory of a supernatural play broadcast in the late 70s or early 80s I think, which ( I seem to recall) was also set in or around Avebury or a stone circle. I can't remember the plot at all apart from it being set in a cottage and ended with a view of the cottage from outside with an upstairs light being turned on and off?
I always thought it was Stigma actually but now realise it wasn't :chuckle: Any ideas at all?

Children of the Stones, maybe?

Here's a list from the good old BFI, something might jog your memory?
Article

Had no luck with Worlds Beyond, unfortunately. Although it's quite a cool show. For a start, the show I'm thinking of was one of those hour-long ones, I'm quite sure about that. None of the episodes I found on Youtube were familiar.
escargot - You can find several episodes of (the quite excellent) series Supernatural on YouTube, just search for Supernatural 1977.
Also, someone seems to have uploaded the pilot episode of Leap In The Dark via YouTube, which people were discussing a little further back. If you look up "Leap in the Dark - Pilot - 09/01/1973" you should find it. It's great, with a fantastic 70s synth score & amazing fashions!
Yup, I found Supernatural etc.

The episode I particularly remembered with the thug being buried alive features Anita Dobson as a gangster's moll! :rollingw:

Back