• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

IDing An Obscure, Vaguely Remembered TV Drama From 1970s

Well since this is here I am going to make my third - and last - attempt to ID a TV show that has haunted me ever since I first saw it as a child.

With apologies to those who have read all this before!

We're taliking late sixties early seventies. I saw it on a black and white TV (and don't know if the show itself was in colour or not). My memory is that I saw it on my own in the afternoon, but people have pointed out that this can't have been possible as TV transmissions were limited to the evenings in those days. At any rate, I am pretty sure that I was alone in viewing it - which suggests that I caught it at an unusual time (this was the era of family TV viewing).
I have no idea if this was a part of a series or a one-off film, but I feel tha former.

So it was a sort of psychedelic and introspective scenario. A man - dark haired and handsome (and I think British) was being plagued by visions and or memories (the arrival of these were showcased by shots of blurry scenes of light shone through a gause). He was mystified and troubled - and also two men were menacing him - asking him questions all the time as he lay on a couch.

In the key scene that has stayed with me the man is in an upright glass tube filled to the level of his neck with water. Outside of this are the same two men - but they are wearing penguin or walrus costumes. They ask the man questions and if they don't like the answers they pull a toilet chain and this results in the water rising further - and the water has ice cubes in it.

I found an episode of `Department S` in which a character played by Anthony Hopkins steals a mind -bending drug from armaments producer and it drives him crazy. I thought I had found my piece and watched a bit with excitement. However, the look of it was very different and reading the synopsis it sounds different too.

But I think it was something very similar to `Department S` in feel and theme.

I think we discussed The Champions as a candidate but I thought maybe Strange Report. The show with Anthony Quayle. Having looked at the synopses, I don’t think that’s the one. But it was another of those surreal crime dramas we had back then.

How about....

a children's series 60s or 70s, short naturalistically with those slightly stilted child actors. Possible Skye or elsewhere in Scotland. Something to do with a standing stone (but not a huge menhir!) which has something like a pictish bull symbol on it, perhaps with a circle round it. When they touch it they are.... dunno. Transported in time?

Well since this is here I am going to make my third - and last - attempt to ID a TV show that has haunted me ever since I first saw it as a child.

With apologies to those who have read all this before!

We're taliking late sixties early seventies. I saw it on a black and white TV (and don't know if the show itself was in colour or not). My memory is that I saw it on my own in the afternoon, but people have pointed out that this can't have been possible as TV transmissions were limited to the evenings in those days. At any rate, I am pretty sure that I was alone in viewing it - which suggests that I caught it at an unusual time (this was the era of family TV viewing).
I have no idea if this was a part of a series or a one-off film, but I feel tha former.

So it was a sort of psychedelic and introspective scenario. A man - dark haired and handsome (and I think British) was being plagued by visions and or memories (the arrival of these were showcased by shots of blurry scenes of light shone through a gause). He was mystified and troubled - and also two men were menacing him - asking him questions all the time as he lay on a couch.

In the key scene that has stayed with me the man is in an upright glass tube filled to the level of his neck with water. Outside of this are the same two men - but they are wearing penguin or walrus costumes. They ask the man questions and if they don't like the answers they pull a toilet chain and this results in the water rising further - and the water has ice cubes in it.

I found an episode of `Department S` in which a character played by Anthony Hopkins steals a mind -bending drug from armaments producer and it drives him crazy. I thought I had found my piece and watched a bit with excitement. However, the look of it was very different and reading the synopsis it sounds different too.

But I think it was something very similar to `Department S` in feel and theme.

As a last resort (or even the first one) I have found these guys to be usually outstandingly helpful (you may have to join).

http://namethatmovie.org/

@Spookdaddy I'm going to get a copy of the children's novel the Merry Go Round serial was based on, but I think The Sleepers On The Hill was indeed the affecting drama we both saw!

I've read the short children's novel and it's indeed the source of the TV schools' drama. Does anyone want the book? FOC, posted to anywhere in the world!

A book this time - a children's book. With a man who watches and waits for a ?train, hiding by digging and sitting next to a hole in the road, with the right lights and warning sides. There is a child protagonist and some scary enemies who are foiled in the end.

I read it so many times....

Back