• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

If You Could Observe One Famous UFO Event, Which Would It Be?

Cloudbusting

Not your average chicken
A hypothetical question:
If you had the opportunity to travel back in time and observe/witness one (and only one!) famous UFO event, which one would you choose?

Can be for any reason. For example it may really intrigue you or you may find the available evidence particularly compelling. Alternatively you may think the event in question is completely misidentified/rubbish and you'd like to debunk it.

P.S. Feel free to include UAP, USO and abduction events too.
P.P.S. You wouldn't be able to interfere or get involved in the event, but merely observe. No time travel paradoxes on my watch. ;)

Does Rendlesham Forest count?

If it does then I pick it!

I'm not into UFOs but I do enjoy the layers of claims and counter claims which have built up over the years, as well as the uses made of the situation in fiction.

Although I do wonder if observing it would make me understand it better or simply add another person's interpretation :)

October 1954 - Florence, Italy.

The football match between Fiorentina and Pistoiese.

Several objects in the sky seen by 10,000 people in the stadium in Florence.

Not a case of one or two people faking something for attention or money.

So it is definite some objects were seen...what were they?

The Kelly / Hopkinsville (Kentucky) 'Goblins' Incident (1955). Just because of the woo.

Close second: the McMinnville, Oregon sighting, because it was that photo...

McMinnville-ufo-2.png

...which sparked my adolescent fascination with UFOs.

maximus otter

The Westhall High School sighting in Australia that was witnessed by 200 people https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westall_UFO#Proposed_explanations

or the sighting by a camera crew at Edwards Airforce Base mentioned by Gordon Cooper
On May 3, 1957, when Cooper was at Edwards, he had a crew set up an Askania Cinetheodolite precision landing system on a dry lake bed. This cinetheodolite system could take pictures at one frame per second as an aircraft landed. The crew consisted of James Bittick and Jack Gettys, who began work at the site just before 08:00, with both still and motion picture cameras. According to Cooper's accounts, when they returned later that morning they reported that they had seen a "strange-looking, saucer-like" aircraft that did not make a sound either on landing or take-off.[77]

Cooper recalled that these men, who saw experimental aircraft on a regular basis as part of their job, were clearly unnerved. They explained how the saucer hovered over them, landed 50 yards (46 m) away using three extended landing gears, and then took off as they approached for a closer look. He called a special Pentagon number to call to report such incidents, and was instructed to have their film developed, but to make no prints of it, and send it in to the Pentagon right away in a locked courier pouch.[78] As Cooper had not been instructed to not look at the negatives before sending them, he did. Cooper claimed that the quality of the photography was excellent, and what he saw was exactly what Bittick and Gettys had described to him. He expected that there would be a follow-up investigation, since an aircraft of unknown origin had landed at a classified military installation, but never heard about the incident again. He was never able to track down what happened to those photos, and assumed they ended up going to the Air Force's official UFO investigation, Project Blue Book, which was based at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base.[78]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gordon_Cooper#UFO_sightings

The Cooper event would have been a disappointment, I think. Cooper saw nothing himself, and the actual witnesses submitted a report which was substantially different to the account Cooper gave. The witness report is consistent with a sighting of a balloon which was in the region at the time, but if you only read Cooper's account you would never know that.

Rendlesham would be interesting, but the actual events would probably be really disappointing. A possible meteor over head, flashing lights in the trees and on the horizon, and an inexpertly operated Geiger counter and starscope. If you were there you might have solved the mystery once and for all, but the curious fact is that none of the people present seemed able to get to the bottom of it.

How do you pick just one, Rendlesham, Zamora, Tehran, The Warminster Thing, Shag Harbour, Kenneth Arnolds sighting, The Frederick Valentich disappearance. Ok if I only have one choice I think it would have to be the Stefan Michalak and the Falcon Lake sighting with the McMinnville sighting a close second.

Wow had no idea this happened, i grew up around there and used to fish the canal when i was younger :oops: will have to speak to my dad when i next see him, hes a local history buff

I'd be glad to hear more about it, I was living a couple of miles away at the time. Apparently he swore it was true to the day he died.

I'd be glad to hear more about it, I was living a couple of miles away at the time. Apparently he swore it was true to the day he died.
I take it the actual incident took place in or around Odiham, judging by the reference to a nearby RAF base and the canal

I take it the actual incident took place in or around Odiham, judging by the reference to a nearby RAF base and the canal
No, it was Aldershot I think. The RAF base would be the RAE at Farnborough, as it was then.

Roswell, surely?

There was no UFO sighting involved in the Roswell incident. It began and ended with the discovery, recovery and cursory display of the mystery debris Brazel found and reported. In other words, there'd be nothing to see except the debris publicly alleged to be from a 'flying saucer'.

Some associate the Corona / Plains of San Agustin UFO crash story with Roswell, but it was a separately reported and disseminated event. If one were to want to potentially see a UFO in or around July 1947 it would be best to aim the Wayback Machine at Corona rather than Roswell.

The lunar sighting would be equally good for me. I’d get to bounce around and bring back some rocks and a really famous flag as souvenirs.

At Rendlesham, all you’d get is a few twigs, a handful of rabbit droppings and some ferns maybe.

My thoughts can go into many directions with this question.

I would like to know the story behind crop circles and their meaning.

I think about 5% can not be explained.

In fact I think England has the most impossible, exquisite crop circles which I don’t think are human made.

I absolutely would like to witness the Kecksburg UFO incident, and be near enough to see what the heck it actually was. Lots of unanswered questions there.
I mean, radiation, odd markings on the craft, odd shape of the craft, long duration event, similarities to the nazi 'bell' etc etc

Really interesting to read everyone's replies. I'm undecided although there's part of me that would be tempted to choose a famous abduction case. Whilst I'm pretty sceptical of abduction cases I think it's very likely you'd clearly find out whether it actually took place, one way or another. It would most likely be a waste of time travel though. :D

The Zamora case is a good shout, personally I wouldn't bother with Roswell or Rendlesham.

Really interesting to read everyone's replies. I'm undecided although there's part of me that would be tempted to choose a famous abduction case. Whilst I'm pretty sceptical of abduction cases I think it's very likely you'd clearly find out whether it actually took place, one way or another. It would most likely be a waste of time travel though. :D

The Zamora case is a good shout, personally I wouldn't bother with Roswell or Rendlesham.
What would happen if you appeared at the site of the UFO encounter and YOU were the UFO encounter? :p

Last edited:
Back