• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Ignore Button

That's what I thought, but if posters arguing on those threads were causing the trouble then they probably won't have started bickering elsewhere. I mean, we haven't seen many blazing rows about how tall Yetis are or what exactly constitutes a ghost.

The Board has certainly been calmer, with the only hint of stroppiness that I've noticed being on the Dr Who thread!

I'll reiterate though - it seems a shame (and, frankly, rather odd) if we can't discuss major news events but can discuss a bunch of other OT stuff - films, books, computer games, whatever. The news has - thankfully - been rather quiet of late. But in the event of another mass casualty terror attack, for example - another 9/11 - or perhaps war with North Korea, would we really be banned from even mentioning it? That doesn't feel right to me.

The Board has certainly been calmer, with the only hint of stroppiness that I've noticed being on the Dr Who thread!

I'll reiterate though - it seems a shame (and, frankly, rather odd) if we can't discuss major news events but can discuss a bunch of other OT stuff - films, books, computer games, whatever. The news has - thankfully - been rather quiet of late. But in the event of another mass casualty terror attack, for example - another 9/11 - or perhaps war with North Korea, would we really be banned from even mentioning it? That doesn't feel right to me.

There are Terrorism threads in the Conspiracy Forum. Could be discussed there. It would only become political if posters suggested certain politicians were supporters of terrorists. This would result in counter-claims and we'd be back down the rabbithole.

Most of the books, films, games at least have a Fortean angle.

There are Terrorism threads in the Conspiracy Forum. Could be discussed there.

Hmm. I think the conspiracy threads there should do what the say on the tin, and not become a dumping ground for any terror-related stories. In the UK alone we have suffered a number of terror attacks this year, and the conspiracy angle - if any - seems quite limited. Similarly something like Grenfell Tower - okay, that does seem to have attracted a few conspiracists of late but it's a minority. I just find it strange that we can't now discuss a huge breaking news story. That's separate to the party political threads which had turned into slanging matches.

Most of the books, films, games at least have a Fortean angle.

Only if you take a very wide definition of Forteana. I don't really see sci-fi or fantasy as being inherently Fortean, although they tend to attract a similar fan-base.

Only if you take a very wide definition of Forteana. I don't really see sci-fi or fantasy as being inherently Fortean, although they tend to attract a similar fan-base.

I think many of us here take a very wide definition of Forteana. Its borne out by the number of posts in the Fortean Culture Forum. There are disagreements there but not to the extent of those in Politics.

Hmm. I think the conspiracy threads there should do what the say on the tin, and not become a dumping ground for any terror-related stories. In the UK alone we have suffered a number of terror attacks this year, and the conspiracy angle - if any - seems quite limited. Similarly something like Grenfell Tower - okay, that does seem to have attracted a few conspiracists of late but it's a minority. I just find it strange that we can't now discuss a huge breaking news story. That's separate to the party political threads which had turned into slanging matches.

It was accepted a long time ago (I recall raising the issue myself) that a lot of the material in Fortean Culture wasn't strictly Fortean, but more culture likely to appeal to contemporary Forteans. At one point it also offered protection for commonly discussed 'cultural' topics from the auto-purge function in chat.

For what it's worth, I've lost both of my historical campaigns:

a) To abolish The Human Condition and distribute all threads within to other fora.
b) To separate Folklore & modern Urban Legends into two distinct sub-fora.

Not much support for either, it seemed.

For what it's worth, I've lost both of my historical campaigns:

a) To abolish The Human Condition and distribute all threads within to other fora.
b) To separate Folklore & modern Urban Legends into two distinct sub-fora.

Yeah - FWIW (a) sounds sensible but I'm not sure there would be enough traffic in Folklore to warrant a separate forum in (b).

Regardless though there is a difference between topics not being organised in a way one might prefer and having a whole range of verboten subjects.

I'll reiterate though - it seems a shame (and, frankly, rather odd) if we can't discuss major news events but can discuss a bunch of other OT stuff - films, books, computer games, whatever. The news has - thankfully - been rather quiet of late. But in the event of another mass casualty terror attack, for example - another 9/11 - or perhaps war with North Korea, would we really be banned from even mentioning it? .
Having reviewed it all, and after a bit of discussion, we have decided that Mainstream News will be restored to general circulation later today. Politics will remain out of reach.

Later on I'll post at greater length as to how we're going to handle that when I've worked out how we're going to do it.

I thought we'd agreed to claim that MercuryCrest had deleted it all by mistake whilst drunk...

every once in a (long) while i click the show ignored just to remind myself ...

Who said that? ;)

As far as I know I currently only have one person on 'ignore'.

Yes, where is the 'Show Ignored' button?
Can you un ignore someone after you've pressed the ignore button ? ... I'm tempted to ignore Mytho, not because I want to or he's done anything wrong, just as an experiment and then un ignore him (if you don't mind Mytho, you can ignore me as well if you want to try the buttons) ...

(this all reminds me of Judd Nelson in The Breakfast Club : "You couldn't ignore me if you tried")

ajud.jpg

"Can you un ignore someone after you've pressed the ignore button ? ... I'm tempted to ignore Mytho, not because I want to or he's done anything wrong, just as an experiment and then un ignore him (if you don't mind Mytho, you can ignore me as well if you want to try the buttons) ..."

My "quote" button seems to have disappeared, but anyways....

I'm a mod, so if anything goes wonky, we can probably undo it.

Swifty, you, yourself, have now been nominated by me, myself, to test out the ignore/unignore feature.

I will be "ignoring" you now and will try to un-ignore you tomorrow, after I get back from work...maybe have a nosh first, but that might make me groggy, so maybe a nap...and when I wake up I'll need coffee....And then something random might remind me to "un-ignore" you. :D

EDIT: Also, my ignore button has disappeared too. If anyone's gone around collecting buttons, now would be the good time to replace them....

MercuryCrest wears Wonder Woman pants ... 100% true ... and this experiment's a bit exciting, sort of like the film Flatliners, I hope MC can bring me back from the other side ..
Ignore and Unignore worked for me. Why wouldn't it?

Ignore and Unignore worked for me. Why wouldn't it?
I've just put you on ignore to see if it works ..

edit: Blimey it works .. I'm missing you already though .. I'm going to unignore you now.

another edit: I've unignored you but now your last post is missing on this screen .. if you're in a long dark tunnel, don't walk into the light Mytho.

Then you walked into the dark and probably a chair

*runs off*

Unignore sounds like the name of a kingdom in some breezeblock sized, luridly jacketed, fantasy novel.

And I tell you what, The Lord of the Rings would have been much more bloody portable if Gandalf could have just put a big fat ignore on Saruman.

Back