• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Ignore Button

I wonder... is the issue "politics" per se or really "party politics"?

I agree the latter of late has deteriorated into a slanging match. But I would think it quite possible to discuss "political" issues more broadly - political philosophies etc - without the sort of rancour and ad Homs that have recently plagued the Board. Similarly, when an "event" occurs - be it a terrorist attack or some sort of natural disaster - it is natural for people to want to discuss it.

From my perspective, there are a lot of clearly very intelligent people here who post thought-provoking stuff which does not always fall into narrow Party political tribalism. It would be a shame to lose this because two or three people call others names.

So is there a compromise - yes to current affairs, yes to philosophical musings including political philosophy, but no to domestic party politics?

The problem is, criticism of certain political philosophies becomes criticism of someone's political ideals and therefore their raisin detra.

Well, during the past election as I recall there were a couple of posters who didn't know the process for registering etc, and whilst that info is available, if we're to be part of this online community, it would be nice to think that we could come together and help people with such advice.
Not everyone exposes themselves to TV/MSM or social media, so what seems easily accessible and logical to one person, it isn't necessarily to another.

Ok. This is a good point. But it needn't be part of a political thread but a more general 'How Do I...? community advice thread.

dUHKEnW.jpg

Posting daft images is my raison d'etre!

The problem is, criticism of certain political philosophies becomes criticism of someone's political ideals and therefore their raisin detra.
Well, an original version of Raison d'etre!

(I wonder what a raisin detra tastes like?!)

I've visited the board once since the MS forums were hidden at the start of the week, and am back after 2 or 3 days, and I have to say it reads a lot more Fortean already, which can only be a good thing: there's a couple in depth threads that have only gone from strength to strength, for instance. The politics threads were mostly the same six or so posters slagging each other off, and I don't miss that.

...Posting daft images is my raison d'etre!...

That's just sour grapes.

INT21

Not everyone exposes themselves to TV/MSM or social media, so what seems easily accessible and logical to one person, it isn't necessarily to another.

yes! scotland seems to have a different procedure everytime we do it lololololol

The politics threads were mostly the same six or so posters slagging each other off, and I don't miss that.

As I'm possibly one of the 'six or so', I'd just like to say that I hope that the hidden threads are never reinstated. Maybe it's down to my mental make up but I could never resist answering anything in them. Since they've been hidden I've found myself rediscovering older threads that got pushed to the back of my mind, and newer threads that I had never even looked at.

I'm with you GNC, I don't miss the politics stuff either. :)

It's like giving up smoking. After a while, you wonder why you ever started in the first place!

As I'm possibly one of the 'six or so', I'd just like to say that I hope that the hidden threads are never reinstated. Maybe it's down to my mental make up but I could never resist answering anything in them. Since they've been hidden I've found myself rediscovering older threads that got pushed to the back of my mind, and newer threads that I had never even looked at.

^Dat^

A knock-on effect this is having on me is that I'm looking at mainstream news sites a lot less than before. I think it must be because I was following links in politics and MSN and getting stuck there. Recently I've just been checking BBC news first thing in the morning on the off-chance something big or important has happened, but just a quick glance.

And to echo what others have said already, the FTMB does seem a lot calmer and sedate now. I think a lot of people are finding more time to post on the relevant topics.

I've just had a quick look at the Guardian and Independent to remind myself how toxic some of the below the line comments are. I know they're a big draw but if I were a journalist I wouldn't be very happy allowing people to do that to something I had written.

And to echo what others have said already, the FTMB does seem a lot calmer and sedate now. I think a lot of people are finding more time to post on the relevant topics.
For 'a lot calmer and sedate' substitute boring! :twisted: We're not getting the human interest stories because they are deemed to be a big pile of steaming dog-poo called Mainstream News. But I still read the mainstream news as much as ever - I just post here less.

And what's relevent for some is not for others. A lot of the so-called Fortean threads ran out of steam years ago, but now and again some diehard will drag them back into the daylight, and try (without much success) to find something new to say.

I'd better shut up now before I start naming names! :p

There is more posting on Fortean topics now, which is good. And we're not seeing people insulting each other, flouncing off, putting people on Ignore dramatically etc. Again, probably good.

I do think it is a shame if we will not be able to discuss current affairs or the human interest stories Ryn describes. But I seem to be in a small minority on this, so fair enough.

Even animals have politics. Watch the dogs in a pub. A sort of negotiation goes on when a new dog comes in. Sometimes the negotiations fail and the snarling and barking starts - don't tell me that's not still somewhere in our genes :)

*sniffs Heckler's butt, recoils*

* cocks hind leg and sprays liberally all over the Cryptozoology section *

Back