• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
The picture is so grainy it's hard to tell. It looks more like an alein type than a pixe or one of the little people. A piccy that wasnt zoomed in on so tightly would be interesting.

Sam

I tried to find a better pix, but this was the only one online. In the fairy book, it shows the whole picture, which shows the creature about halfway up a hill, looking diminutively stoic.

Maybe somebody can find a better pix of it on the web? (hint, hint)

Slightly better pics...

(broken link removed - Stu)

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks like that creature's bagged itself a grouse...!

Ilkley Moor's not as terrifying as that site makes out!:rolleyes:
I've camped there on several occasions. And I always bring up this subject when we're sat around the campfire!
The Twelve Apostles circle is looking rather sad and devoud of mystical power these days...the Swastika stone is occasionally vandalised my mindless morons.

The weirdist thing there now is the 'communications center' at Whetstone Gate, right in the middle of the moor...fenced off from inquisitive ramblers, bristling with dishes and other electronic paraphernalia.
oh, and the lights in the sky...:D

Here's the whole picture

IlkleyMoor-WideShot-A.jpg
Here's the picture of the creature in context!! Does it make it seem more likely to anybody?

The link to the originally-remote-linked photo is dead. A replacement version has been inserted.

Definitely something there but like so many classic photographs what it actually is is anybodys guess.The problem in any single witness case remains the credibility of the photographer.By all accounts he has passed all the usual checking and fairly consistent and heavy "debunking"and has made no money or any other gain from his story.There is no chink in the armour as far as anybody can tell.

To me it looks like a large upright stone. The 'legs' and the long arm on the right look like an optical illusion created by the pale shapes in front of it. /And the head section really looks as though it's some way behind. a simulacrum praps.

could be an alien though.

Interesting

Epona, it's interesting that you think it looks fake. Did you compare the far off shot I listed with the close-ups from the other pictures? That's what I think is interesting - it looks sorta convincing far away but up close there seems to be a fair amount of detial.

Of course, maybe all it means is amore elaborate hoax, but it's certainly well done if fake, and just maybe it isn't!

There are some interesting comments from Jenny Randles regarding the Ilkley Moor Alien photo here.
The link is long dead. The MIA webpage (a presentation of an email message from Jenny) can be accessed via the Wayback Machine:
https://web.archive.org/web/2004112...trange.net/ufo/updates/2000/aug/m24-005.shtml

I especially like this quote regarding what the papers thought at the time -

"We are to accept that this image depicts an insurance salesman
riding his bicycle, whilst wearing a blue anorak and carrying a
briefcase."

:D

The thing is, I can see that image if I look for it!

I have seen much clearer pictures than those posted on this thread, but I can't seen to find them either.

...or maybe I simply 'imagined' the clarity? :confused:

Looks like a tree stump with rooty bits on it - like someone has found it and propped it up on the path to set the pic up . My opinion anyway .

Good link, August (you topical person, you!) Worth a read - for all those people who never click on links!

rynner said:
Good link, August (you topical person, you!) Worth a read - for all those people who never click on links!

Yeah - I'm really lazy abut doing that ! I should make the effort . but I still think it is a tree stump .

Mr R.,
I agree with you - the far away shot does look a lot more convincing that the blown up versions. I admit that any photo blown up enough ends up looking like a muddle of blotches, even a perfectly normal snap.

The thing is, like Jenny Randles mentioned in the link, what about the surrounding photos on the film? I wonder what they were like/of?

The story of the policeman - does he remember taking the photo? If he deliberately took the photo, you'd have thought he'd taken more than one, as the creature moved down the path?

I don't know if it looks particularly 'fake' as in deliberately set up to deceive, as it could be a simulacra that he later misinterpreted. But if he was a policeman he was hardly going to put his job on the line by owning up to some bizarre 'aliens kidnapped me' story without some serious soul-searching.

Could he have had some weird temporal lobe twitch just at the moment he spotted the 'figure' and incorporated it into his fantasy, rather like how you incorporate sounds in the real world into your dreams?

oh by the way apparently the original is in colour perhaps that would cast a different slant ont he way we're interpreting it. At the moment the figure doesn't seem to stand out from the background much, but in colour..?

I think I remember seeing this photo in colour once. In any case, I've never been convinced by this picture. The lighting on the figure and on the ground which it walks is odd, not fitting the overall lighting of the rest of the image.

Compare and contrast!

has anyone else noticed the similarities between these two images?

this:

Google cache link (doesn't seem to work though)
Link is dead. No archived version found.

which is the 'Ilkley Moor alien'

and this:

alkelda.f9.co.uk/copgrove.htm
Link is dead. See later post for the MIA webpage's content.

which is an ancient carving on the wall of a Yorkshire church, known as 'the devil's stone'

any thoughts?

[Emp edit: Fixing big link]

Isn't this the same image as is on the Kappa thread on this MB?

bahnhof.se/~wizard/cryptoworld/kappa4.jpg
Link is dead. No archived version found.

This topic is covered in detail in my favourite Randles book "MIB", although I seem to remember the guy was given a "cover name" in that book.

Personally I think he may have seen something strange - since he's not trying to get publicity, and I believe he took it straight to the police and the MoD rather than to the press. However, there's a difference between seeing something and something actually being there. Also, I don't claim to know much about regression under hypnosis, but isn't it quite a fickle thing, in that people remember things that never happened?

"Similarities" as in what?

You think they are depictions of the same creature?

Or you think that the Ilkley Moor entity is a superimposed/cut out picture of the Devil's Stone carving?

I certainly don't think the latter.

The proportions are similar I suppose, although the head on the carving is bigger.

What is it you're getting at?
That the photo is faked, or that mysterious entities have been floating round North Yorks for centuries?

On the full size colour photograph, the creature takes on a more 3D aspect, anybody got a link to that?

I just posted a link to the colour image on the 'Ilkley Moor Creature' thread in the Cyrptozoology section. The picture is here:

...100megs13.com/htm/ilkleymoorpics.htm
Link is dead, and now leads to a toxic site / page.

Err... I wasn't 'getting' at anything! Just pointing out that zygmunt's original pairing took on more similarities if one of them was flipped horizontally. There doesn't have to be some grand meaning behind everything. ;)

I wasn't having a go, don't fret! :p

It was just ambiguous what was being got at, that's all.

It is odd that what appears to be a similar creature appears on an engraved stone not that far away from the sighting. I wonder if Ilkley Moor and North Yorkshire is a Window Area? From what I can gather reading around it there seems to be all manner of strange happenings up there...

Just to clarify something - in a lot of recent literature, the witness/photographer is named as Alan Godfrey. Where there is no name mentioned, the witness is just referred to as a "retired police officer".

Alan Godfrey is indeed a retired police officer, but he was involved in a CE4 outside Todmorden in the late 70s/early 80s I seem to recall.

Naturally, I'm very sceptical about this claim that the Ilkley Moor case involved Godfrey. Surely being abducted so publicly twice would make him seem just a completely unlucky bugger (although the witness according to Jenny Randles has never sought publicity)!

Are we to presume that Godfrey wasn't the witness on Ilkley Moor?

As far as I can remember, he was called "Anthony" in the MIB book, but it might have been Alan (don't have the book here to check :) )...

Back