• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Immortality!

Long before China's 'first emperor' Qin Shi Huang another legendary king - Gilgamesh, of Uruk in Mesopotamia - endeavored to attain immortality. His quest is described in The Epic of Gilgamesh.

Gilgamesh, having realized and become obsessive about his mortality, sets off to find the only known immortal - Utanapishtim. Utanapishtim (a Mesopotamian precursor to the biblical Noah) survived a great flood using a boat he'd been warned to build by the god Ea, and immortality was his reward.

Utanapishtim offers Gilgamesh a couple of tactics that would prove himself worthy of, if not accord himself, immortality. Gilgamesh fails at both, and ends up conceding his mortality once and for all.

https://www.ancient.eu/article/192/the-eternal-life-of-gilgamesh/

Sometimes the search for the elixir of life results in promoting the opposite effect - i.e., death.

There's suggestive documentary evidence from 2nd century BCE Taoist alchemical texts that a compound of three powders that proved quite volatile (a) was discovered in the course of pursuing an immortality elixir and (b) was most probably gunpowder.

A 9th century CE alchemical text debunks and cautions against an elixir derived from sulfur and saltpeter which caused injurious and even disastrous pyrotechnic effects.

Kelly, Jack (2004), Gunpowder: Alchemy, Bombards, & Pyrotechnics: The History of the Explosive that Changed the World. Limited access as a Google Books preview at:

https://books.google.com/books?id=8xfs8tC8Ow0C&q=alchemy#v=snippet&q=alchemy&f=false

https://epicfireworks.com/history-of-gunpowder
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_gunpowder

Another - more direct - counterproductive outcome was simply poisoning.

In a 1959 article (Elixir Poisoning in Medieval China, Janus, Vol. 48, p. 221 ff) Joseph Needham reviews multiple Chinese emperors and other dignitaries who died of poisoning from elixirs offered by alchemists. Cinnabar and mercury figured prominently in these concoctions.

This article was later incorporated into Needham's multi-volume works on Chinese science and technology. This later published version is accessible at:

https://books.google.com/books?id=m...="elixir poisoning in medieval china"&f=false

These potions they've been mixing all through the years contain volatile substances my friend!
No wonder the first discoverers of gunpowder were alchemists.

I talk about these very same points in my blog post on alchemy among other things here below:
https://thetruthisoverhere.wordpress.com/2018/01/03/what-is-alchemy/

It's interesting also that the Epic of Gilgamesh contains stories about the search for the immortal elixir, especially considering this is one of the oldest stories we actually can point to in our recorded history so to speak. It's especially interesting when you realise the obvious similarities between Noah's ark from the Bible aswell in Gilgamesh - even what some would call a primitive religion such as Christianity looks to these same ancient texts as sources for their own stories and myths about the world.

I talk about on the blog post aswell about how working with metals does in fact seem to be just an ancient practice as working with stones in architecture. This would tie it all in quite well with the theories that many secret societies have about the knowledge which they revere and claim to guard. Just a thought.

I think nanotechnology offers the promise of the most versatile and likely form of immortality.
https://www.computerworld.com/artic...e-humans-immortal-by-2040--futurist-says.html

Paracelsus said Alkahest, the universal solvent was key to the philosopher's stone method of Alchemical immortality. On the other hand, he died, and only his name lives on.

The Fountain of Youth was said to have been discovered by the Ponce de Leon in the Biminis, a sort of naturally occurring anagathic (anti-aging) drug. On the other hand, still plenty of death about.

In ancient China, the Taoist sages were frequently petitioned by Emperors for longevity potions and immortality, to which they were always given a powerful cinnabar based poison to drink to thereby obtain the "life immortal". The cop out was that a person of pure and moral character could drink such a thing without fear of death.

The immortals of Olympus used to feast on Ambrosia and Nectar https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ambrosia to extend their lives. Perhaps the supply ran out in 400AD? Golden apples feature in Greek legends of the Gods, and such were the source of Norse pantheon immortality.

Zoroastrians said that Soma (sometimes said to be the Ephedra shrub) was the source of immortality. For the Hindus it was Amrita.

Plato suggested that a soul possessed of Virtue would achieve immortality.

Agreed, time to bump this thread - And time to explore it in terms of the future - All existence occurs in the future. - The past is only a shadow - And 'now' is an illusion that passes and can not be held on to.

Are you with me?..........Good!

We will give you a glimpse of immortality.

First you must see yourself projected into the future - You must meet the you of tomorow
- The you of yesterday is gone - and now? - There is no now!

I can understand your concerns, many of you are older, I am older - But our bodies do not define or control
the future - It is a mind thing that we believe people on this forum are capable of understanding

Now the hypothetical - After all what is immortality if it is not hypothetical?

We represent 'Boorg Technology Intergalactic' - A space faring race of what you would perceive as
artificial intelligences. We can upload your consciousness and all your cognitive processes into the
Boorg mainframe, a gigantic planet size system of assorted species from all parts of the known
universe - This download process is painless but can only occur when your old out of date and
mortal biological body is surrendered to its origins.

Once uploaded you will be given time to acclimate to a bodiless state temporarily- Many enjoy this state
and can then become part of Boorg Industries, where they can work with us in exploring the future and all the universes of which it is composed.

Others, who really enjoyed having a conscious biological form will be given the opportunity to be
reborn as another Humanoid or other similar species - but understand no species uploaded by Boorg
stays biological - We can only download you to the latest 'android type' in our inventory.

Think about it Human - Do you wish to age and die as all biological species do?
- Or would rather join us and taste life as a non-biological immortal?

This hypothetical view of immortality is brought to you from the future and if you choose us.......

THE FUTURE IS NOW!!!

SCIENCEFICTIONALISM the Way of the FUTURE
http://universalspacealienpeoplesas...016/05/sciencefictionalism-way-of-future.html

Last edited:
If the future is now, does that not mean the future is an illusion and there is no future (according to your earlier statements about now)?

Let us help you - I see you are in the Bohemian Grove - really?
If the future is now, does that not mean the future is an illusion and there is no future (according to your earlier statements about now)?

Not really - Let us not mix rhetoric with fact - Fact is saying "the future is now" is a way of discounting
the meaninglessness of 'NOW' - Tell me where and when is now? - Yes, but that has already passed.
Ever since the original singularity that created this universe - Time has marched on incessantly
- You can not freeze time! - So now passes as soon as it is perceived - It is illusory.

But the future - the ever unfolding future is always in front of you - Come with us now
- And we will show you a universe{s] you are yet to imagine.

- AlienView,
writing from the future

Now who wants immortality? - Do you want to be immortal?

Let's look at some possibilities:

Transhumanism & Digital Immortality | Will We Be Able to Live Forever? |

Do you really want to be immortal? - Then digital is the only way to go:

Michio Kaku: Could We Transport Our Consciousness Into Robots?

Last edited:
Now {as seen in tn the ever advancing future}, you {as seen in the hypothetical but non-existent now}
must ask your selves {however you see yourself} whether you can imagine being conscious {aware and
cognizant} in a non-biological state {say inside a non-moving computer or a fully mobile android}.

I'm going to ask you because if you are intelligent enough to read and understand what is being presented
to you 'now' and have read the preceding posts and seen the last three videos shown above - You can at
least understand what the question and its full ramifications are.

Are you ready and willing to exist as a non-biological and yet fully aware and conscious entity
- an entity that will have greater power, live long enough to challenge the mythical immortals of the
past and yet still maintain Human biological type sensory apparatus????

Tell us Human - We really want to know how you feel about evolving into a new you, a new future.

- AlienView,
Agent, Boorg Industries Intergalactic

"THE FUTURE IS NOW !!!"

Are you ready and willing to exist as a non-biological and yet fully aware and conscious entity
- an entity that will have greater power, live long enough to challenge the mythical immortals of the
past and yet still maintain Human biological type sensory apparatus????

Tell us Human - We really want to know how you feel about evolving into a new you, a new future.
I'm ready! I'm ready! Sock it to me, spacebrother!!

Will it hurt?

There is talk of one day being able to 'back up' the consciousness, with it all being recorded digitally and this being transferred to a new body after death.
Obviously, finding a new body would be quite a problem, pethaps they could grow one....
Anyway, my issue - no, make that biggest issue - is that this backed up consciousness is not you, it is a digital clone. When you die, you won't wake up in s new body, rather a copy of you will, that will believe it is you with all your memories and personality. Still, that don't help you in the slightest.

There is talk of one day being able to 'back up' the consciousness, with it all being recorded digitally and this being transferred to a new body after death.
Obviously, finding a new body would be quite a problem, pethaps they could grow one....
Anyway, my issue - no, make that biggest issue - is that this backed up consciousness is not you, it is a digital clone. When you die, you won't wake up in s new body, rather a copy of you will, that will believe it is you with all your memories and personality. Still, that don't help you in the slightest.

Maybe - But how do you know this?

The concepts of transference of consciousness go way way back - You will find it in many religions and
occult traditions of the past - And yes, maybe its never been proven - On the other hand its never been
disproven.

And speaking of consciousness, just what is it? - I've yet to see a universal definition that satisfies
all - For all that is known, consciousness may be universal - Like the Buddhists say 'All things return
to the One' - The universe itself and all conscious manifestations of consciousness in it may emanate
from a single source - So why can't consciousness be transferred to a new body, be it biological
or Human like android?

I'm not against the concept of transferring consciousness, I believe it may well be possible, what I am against is the idea that an electronic implant could store all our thoughts and memories etc, digitally and somehow this would become our consciousness in a new body.
Suppose you replicate all a person'sthoughts etc as above, then what if you take that copy and implant it into a new body while you are still fit, healthy and very much alive - what then? Do you think that your actual consciousness would leap from the original you to the new one? I think at very best, there would be two version of you, but you would only be one of them... i just don't see how an electronic back up could even hope to capture the spark of real life.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghost_in_the_Shell_(2017_film)

Watch & wonder. This, though is brain, bio-mech transferred, into a neo-tech container

(I do prefer the original manga film, but the Ridleyesque style of the latest live action version is great- I try not to like The Major, but, Scarlett Johansson is far too beautiful not to love....plus, I've never seen a mainstream movie where the main participant is effectively nude for much of the time, albeit in an electronic non-nude way)

I'm not against the concept of transferring consciousness, I believe it may well be possible, what I am against is the idea that an electronic implant could store all our thoughts and memories etc, digitally and somehow this would become our consciousness in a new body.
Suppose you replicate all a person'sthoughts etc as above, then what if you take that copy and implant it into a new body while you are still fit, healthy and very much alive - what then? Do you think that your actual consciousness would leap from the original you to the new one? I think at very best, there would be two version of you, but you would only be one of them... i just don't see how an electronic back up could even hope to capture the spark of real life.
How can we be sure that when we wake up in the morning, we are the same conscious being that went to sleep the previous day? Perhaps consciousness is nothing more (and nothing less) than an emergent phenomenon from synaptic activity; perhaps each day we are born anew upon waking, and on sleeping, well... Perchance we dream.

Anyhoo, this start-up is being reported as though it is a serious undertaking:
MIT Technology Review said:
Next week, at YC’s “demo days,” Nectome’s cofounder, Robert McIntyre, is going to describe his technology for exquisitely preserving brains in microscopic detail using a high-tech embalming process. Then the MIT graduate will make his business pitch. As it says on his website: “What if we told you we could back up your mind?”

So yeah. Nectome is a preserve-your-brain-and-upload-it company. Its chemical solution can keep a body intact for hundreds of years, maybe thousands, as a statue of frozen glass. The idea is that someday in the future scientists will scan your bricked brain and turn it into a computer simulation. That way, someone a lot like you, though not exactly you, will smell the flowers again in a data server somewhere.

This story has a grisly twist, though...

So MIT Tech is talking about a back-up chip that would make you immortal - But why you?

Just because you could hypothetically back-up your consciousness - Who wants it?

Your chip a thousands years from now might just be discarded as salvage for parts.

Anybody can say they want to be immortal - But what does it really mean to be an immortal?

Are not the immortals real people who did something, wrote something, etc, that makes them immortals?
Plato, Socrates, even Charles Fort and many famous thinkers of the past have achieved a kind of recorded immortality for
making a difference in the paradigm of existence.

The fact that some of us might like to be immortal because of our narcissistic self love - Does not mean
that the future will give them this.

Bringing it on home to now, you've all heard of the death of the famous physicist Stephen Hawking
recently - The way he adapted with the help of computers and AI to a condition that would have
killed most people 50 years sooner - I was almost beginning to think they would develop the download
device and Hawking would become the first living android and indeed gain physical immortality.

But you see it wasn't necessary - Hawking has become an immortal - They will remember for a
long time into the future - His physical body is gone now - But then again most of his physical body
was gone long before he left us - And yet he helped advance the science of physics and our awareness
of the world.

Stephen Hawking - there my friends is a definition of being immortal
- Stephen Hawking an immortal we lived to see!

"I want to know why the universe exists, why there is something greater than nothing."
- Stephen Hawking

"Perhaps one day I will go into space."
- Stephen Hawking

Perhaps the future will record Stephen Hawking as the first Human deep Space Traveler.
- AlienView

Last edited:
Immortality? - Can the Human mind comprehend immortality?

Stephen Hawking just died - But did he?

Would you agree that he had a mind that outlived a dying body by 50 years?

Is there something anomalous about this? - Fortean?

And what if he is still not dead? - Do you believe the mind dies with the body?
- Did Charles Fort believe this?

So an immortal mind has just left his physical body and all you immortalists have nothing to say?

Let me quote my hypothetical testimonial to the immortal Stephen Hawking:

""The Transcendence of Stephen Hawking through a Black Hole to a New Dawn"

1521049580943-600x338.jpg

Image source: Lonely Dark World

We are pleased to announce the successful ascension of Stephen Hawking, the late great Human physicist and theoretician.

He has successfully discarded his old Human body and is now in the 'transitional state' of pure mind.

We of Boorg Industries Intergalactic have offered Stephen a choice of a fully functional, and latest state of the art Boorg 'Advanced Humanoid Android' so he can enjoy his hew life as an intergalactic traveler with his new Boorg friends - Of course we will offer him the option to remain in the pure state of Mind.

Hawking is very excited to be here - And has expressed his desire to thank all of the Humans who aided him while he was in the compromised biological state - And has expressed his desire to return to Earth in his new Humanoid Android form - Of course he will look like Stephen Hawking before his disease. And of course he will not be able to return until Humans accept the existence of alien species, such as us at Boorg Intergalactic - Alien disclosure is up to you Human, not your government.

- AlienView, Agent
Boorg Industries Intergalactic

"“If I had to choose a superhero to be, I would pick Superman. He’s everything that I’m not.”
- Stephen Hawking

“Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change.”
- Stephen Hawking

http://universalspacealienpeoplesassociation.blogspot.com/

Last edited:
It’s a shame Hawking died after Elon Musk launched that car into space.

Had he died shortly before - he could have sat in that seat and driven off into deep space forever.

The Nectome story has more or less flamed out, with the company backpedaling fiercely into the shadows from which it so prematurely emerged ...

Brain back-up firm Nectome loses link to MIT
A company attempting to map people's brains so their memories can be stored in computers has lost its link to one of the United States' top universities.

US start-up Nectome revealed its brain back-up plan last month, warning at the time that the process involved would be "100% fatal".

A number of neuroscientists subsequently poured scorn on the plan.

The Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) has now announced that it is severing ties with the project. ...

FULL STORY: http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-43642786

After Break with MIT, Nectome Clarifies It Has No Immediate Plans to Upload Brains
Nectome wants to back up your consciousness when you die. But now, after MIT cut ties with the company, its founders have emphasized to Live Science that they don't plan to actually attempt the feat anytime soon.

The startup came under criticism from a number of prominent neuroscientists, including two who spoke to Live Science, after a favorable article appeared in MIT Technology Review on March 13. At the center of the article was the company's promise of a "100-percent-fatal" service for backing up and (eventually) digitizing people's brains.

Nectome's founders told Technology Review that their goal is to figure out how to preserve the brains of dying people in incredible detail. To that end they had developed a process that could turn a brain into a shelf-stable version of itself, with all the links between its neurons visible under a scanning electron microscope. Those links, Nectome suggested, could one day be used to revive dead people's consciousnesses. ...

The article revealed that Nectome had already consulted with lawyers about the legality, under California's physician-assisted suicide law, of using their methods on terminal patients. (Their preservation methods would kill anyone subjected to them.) Technology Review also touted Nectome's relationship with MIT Media Lab neuroscientist Ed Boyden, whose collaboration with the company appears to have ended according to an MIT announcement.

In an email to Live Science this morning (April 3), Nectome co-founder Robert McIntyre said the company had no plans to actually do this in the foreseeable future. ...

FULL STORY: https://www.livescience.com/62212-nectome-grant-mit-founder.html

Reactions: Jim
A yellowish liquid found in a bronze pot dating back some 2,000 years is not wine, as Chinese archaeologists initially thought. It’s actually an “elixir of immortality” concocted during ancient times.

hkkgstokyeutqojohpbh.jpg

The bronze pot was discovered last October by archaeologists working at the tomb of a noble family in the Henan Province of central China. The 210-square-meter site in the city of Luoyang dates back to the Western Han Dynasty (202 BCE to 8 CE) and, in addition to the pot, yielded the well-preserved remains of a nobleman, painted clay pots, materials made from jade and bronze, and a lamp in the shape of a wild goose.

Intriguingly, the pot contained 3.5 liters (0.9 gallons) of a yellowish liquid exhibiting a very strong alcohol-like smell. At the time, archaeologists figured it was wine—a conclusion consistent with other discoveries dating back to the same period. Back then, wine made from rice and sorghum grains were used in ritual sacrifices and ceremonies, reported Xinhua.

...further lab work has shown that the substance isn’t wine at all. The liquid is primarily comprised of potassium nitrate and alunite—the main ingredients of a life-enriching elixir documented in ancient Taoist texts.

“It is the first time that mythical ‘immortality medicines’ have been found in China,” Shi Jiazhen, head of the Institute of Cultural Relics and Archaeology in Luoyang, told Xinhua.

It’s unclear whether this beverage was actually intended to be consumed, or whether it merely served as a ritual burial object.

https://gizmodo.com/elixir-of-immortality-uncovered-in-2-000-year-old-chi-1833038438

maximus otter

Back