• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Immortality!

Now {as seen in tn the ever advancing future}, you {as seen in the hypothetical but non-existent now}must ask your selves {however you see yourself} whether you can imagine being conscious {aware and cognizant} in a non-biological state {say inside a non-moving computer or a fully mobile android}. I'm going to ask you because if you are intelligent enough to read and understand what is being presented to you 'now' and have read the preceding posts and seen the last three videos shown above - You can at least understand what the question and its full ramifications are. Are you ready and willing to exist as a non-biological and yet fully aware and conscious entity - an entity that will have greater power, live long enough to challenge the mythical immortals of thepast and yet still maintain Human biological type sensory apparatus???? Tell us Human - We really want to know how you feel about evolving into a new you, a new future.
- AlienView,
Agent, Boorg Industries Intergalactic
"THE FUTURE IS NOW !!!"

Well, if it means I don't have to do annoying daily tasks like cooking, eating, drinking, sleeping, and defacating and so forth, it sounds like a pretty good deal. Not having to breathe is pretty good news too. As to human sensory outlay, well, it is pretty mediocre, and I would happily take an upgrade. Crucially however, I can't see how the transfer from biological to electronic will not kill my present me. It's a bit like teleportation in Star Trek, in that, how is vaporising a person in one location and then reassembling their living body in another location not the same as killing them? If you think about it, you could make multiple copies of yourself using either technology too. It is all reminiscent of a certain movie about 19th Century stage magicians...

Well, if it means I don't have to do annoying daily tasks like cooking, eating, drinking, sleeping, and defacating and so forth, it sounds like a pretty good deal. Not having to breathe is pretty good news too. As to human sensory outlay, well, it is pretty mediocre, and I would happily take an upgrade. Crucially however, I can't see how the transfer from biological to electronic will not kill my present me. It's a bit like teleportation in Star Trek, in that, how is vaporising a person in one location and then reassembling their living body in another location not the same as killing them? If you think about it, you could make multiple copies of yourself using either technology too. It is all reminiscent of a certain movie about 19th Century stage magicians...

The feasibility of teleportation is demonstrable via quantum entanglement - Which when properly
developed can also be used for space travel at vast distances - how those unexplained UFOs
seem capable of moving at incredible speeds and appear and disappear as if by magic.

Now back to immortality:

When the quantum computer transfers the conscious 'you' into your new body - there will be
a short pause after you become conscious - Then you will have a choice - Accept your new
conscious paradigm of existence or reject it - If you reject it your conscious self will return to
your old biological self and the link will be terminated.

but if you accept your new self as an android - The process will continue - And this process
totally processes 'all' of your conscious awareness - At that point the old biological you will
terminate as that body will have no more life force present - That life force has become part of your new you as an advanced humanoid android.

Any further questions?

A clinical trial is being planed - Would you like to sign up ?

“We have no right to assume that any physical laws exist, or if they have existed up to now, that they will continue to exist in a similar manner in the future.”
― Max Planck, The Universe in the Light of Modern Physics

The feasibility of teleportation is demonstrable via quantum entanglement - Which when properly developed can also be used for space travel at vast distances - how those unexplained UFOs
seem capable of moving at incredible speeds and appear and disappear as if by magic.

I admire your optimism and hope that we, as a species. get off our poor little homeworld and allow it to recover.

Now back to immortality:
When the quantum computer transfers the conscious 'you' into your new body - there will be
a short pause after you become conscious - Then you will have a choice - Accept your new
conscious paradigm of existence or reject it - If you reject it your conscious self will return to
your old biological self and the link will be terminated.

That sounds quite a bit like a Hindu description of reincarnation.

but if you accept your new self as an android - The process will continue - And this process
totally processes 'all' of your conscious awareness - At that point the old biological you will
terminate as that body will have no more life force present - That life force has become part of your new you as an advanced humanoid android.
Any further questions? A clinical trial is being planed - Would you like to sign up ?

I have a philosophy when it comes to new tech... The first model will have all the bugs, and it will need all the patches and updates to fix them. Tech also always becomes cheaper over time. Thus I would definitely be interested in a proven product but I wouldn't be an early adopter.

“We have no right to assume that any physical laws exist, or if they have existed up to now, that they will continue to exist in a similar manner in the future.” ― Max Planck, The Universe in the Light of Modern Physics
Dear me, did Max really say that? I get where he is coming from philosophically, but I have my doubts about its factual accuracy.

All I keep thinking about is that machines wear out, too. Not to mention lemons. What if I get a lemon for my immortal body?
It sounded fun at first, but I think I'll pass.

Talk of transferring human consciousness into a computer is interesting enough, but, at our current level of understanding, the conversation seems (and please forgive me for saying so) fatuous. The whole concept seems to presuppose a mechanistic model for consciousness which I have trouble accepting. I tend to believe that consciousness is not a "thing" but an "effect", arising from the interplay of factors which we cannot yet identify. If there is anyone here better acquainted with research in the field who can enlighten me, I would very much like to hear from them.

It's like someone talking about how they'd like to dismantle a rainbow and stack the pieces in their garage . . .

Very well put! I strongly agree with your points.

Here's an illustration via comparison with analogous discussions and pronouncements about AI ...

All the chatter about "artificial intelligence" is no more than hot-air spewed as speculation 'way out on a limb unless one understands the "intelligence" in AI is limited to the strict sense of something attributed to an actor or agent upon demonstration of effective actions in a given functional or operational context. In other words, the "I" in "AI" has a defensible basis, but only to the extent it's defined with respect to a specific subset of all the things "intelligence" may connote in everyday conversation.

The situation is even worse (more tenuous) with similar speculative hot air spewed about "consciousness." Consciousness is an attribution lacking any specific or clearly defensible definition even after centuries of philosophical and eventually scientific inquiry. The notion of replicating, much less transferring, "consciousness" might make at least some sense if we had so much as a limited working definition for or understanding of what this "consciousness" represented or entailed. We don't ...

The Bottom Line: Much of the current AI chatter is BS over-generalized from a narrow defensible basis, whereas all the speculative consciousness chatter is sheer BS.

Both these problems relate to mistakenly equating mind with the brain. There's little or no question both attributed phenomena are operationally dependent upon the brain. This doesn't mean either phenomenon is wholly manifested in terms of brain activity alone. It is reasonable to address neural operations as mechanistic and deterministic. It is not reasonable at all to presume these operations' corollary features (relational predilections, side effects, meta-phenomena, whatever ... ) we call "intelligence" and "consciousness" are of the same character as, much less uniquely enslaved to, these neural operations.

Last edited:
The problem you have in not being able to define or fully explain 'consciousness' is that there is

no reason to believe it exists outside of 'this' universe - And therefor you are part of it.

Ego makes Man think he is conscious and the material universe around him is not.
- If consciousness exists at all, you are already part of it.

And all science describing this universe shows a very mechanistic machine - That this machine
might be thinking and you are part of the thought process.

Now the fluke, anomaly, or conscious manifestation of this machine, biological life in the universe, is a fact
- What will make conscious AI more feasible in the future is a better understanding of the
universe itself and where it is trying to go - Biological life is just one manifestation
- A replacement non biological conscious and thinking manifestation is quite likely the next
- And may have existed in the past as the God or gods that Man supposedly met in almost all
of his ancient cultures.

“I regard consciousness as fundamental. I regard matter as derivative from consciousness. We cannot get behind consciousness. Everything that we talk about, everything that we regard as existing, postulates consciousness.”
― Max Planck

Back