• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Immortality!

Sertile

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Okay, I don't know if this has been done before, but I thought maybe we could try to pool our resources and see how many hypothetical or legendary sources of immortality we could think of. I've been trying to find a book that lists all the ways one might attain immortality, but so far I haven't had much luck. I can think of a few myself, but I'd like to see what other people know about the whole idea. I'll start:

On the Christian end of things there's drinking from the Holy Grail, which would at least heal one's wounds I would think, deliberately mocking christ perhaps (isn't that what happened to the wandering Jew?) and then, of course, the simple act of BEING a Christian is supposed to grant one eternal life, more or less.

I'm also thinking that reaching the kingdom of Agharta, in the hollow earth, may have an effect of lengthening one's life, if you're into that sort of thing.

No need for anything so old-fashioned. These days , thanks to "His Holiness Rael" you can buy immortality from Clonaid Or you could have yourself frozen (The most affordable prices anywhere!)

Or check out the latest trends in immortality at the Immortality Magazine , who get full marks for having the dreaded phrase "paradigm shift" right up there in the first paragraph on the homepage

My family said that if you get up every morning and wash your face in the dew you will live forever.

Then there's the peaches of immortality that grow in heaven. If you eat them you get to be immortal.

Sertile said:
I'm also thinking that reaching the kingdom of Agharta, in the hollow earth, may have an effect of lengthening one's life, if you're into that sort of thing.
Well, that's the crux as far as I'm concerned - to be pedantic, immortality means you can't die - it doesn't preclude becoming utterly decrepit physically. Eternal youth would probably be preferable :).

Good place to start is probably the Count St Germain.

Frankly this old soul has something of a yearning the other way ... it's my ambition to die in Varanasi, which guarantees resolution of all karma thus requiring no more incarnations and essentially means go directly to nirvana, do not pass go, do not collect £200.

Re: Re: Immortality!

stu neville said:
Well, that's the crux as far as I'm concerned - to be pedantic, immortality means you can't die - it doesn't preclude becoming utterly decrepit physically. Eternal youth would probably be preferable :).

Good place to start is probably the Count St Germain.

But if you address the problem from an engineering perspective as is done here, it may be possible to resolve that issue, a couple of good links on the subject at the bottom of the page as well

Re: Re: Immortality!

stu neville said:
As Lemuel Gulliver discovered in Gullivers Travels.:)

That the System of Living contrived by me was unreasonable and unjust, because it supposed a Perpetuity of Youth, Health, and Vigour, which no Man could be so foolish to hope, however extravagant he may be in his Wishes. That the Question therefore was not whether a Man would choose to be always in the Prime of Youth, attended with Prosperity and Health, but how he would pass a perpetual Life under all the usual Disadvantages which old Age brings along with it.
And in case you can't imagine it..
When they came to four-score Years, which is reckoned the Extremity of living in this Country, they had not only all the Follies and Infirmities of other old Men, but many more which arose from the dreadful Prospect of never dying. They were not only Opinionative, Peevish, Covetous, Morose, Vain, Talkative, but uncapable of Friendship, and dead to all natural Affection, which never descended below their Grand-children. Envy and impotent Desires are their prevailing Passions. But those Objects against which their Envy principally directed, are the Vices of the younger sort, and the Deaths of the old. By reflecting on the former, they find themselves cut off from all possibility of Pleasure; and whenever they see a Funeral, they lament and repine that others have gone to a Harbour of Rest, to which they themselves never can hope to arrive.
The Struldbruggs in the book were immortal because they had been born so. A child born with a red mark over its left eyebrow was a Struldbrugg. It was very rare and not hereditary.

When in college in 1984 I had a very strange French professor who dropped heavy hints that he was the Count de St. Germain, and he really did a good job of it too. I think it started when I noticed some books on esotericism in his office and began asking questions. He said stuff like, "I'm a lot older than I look." Heh. And he really looked >exactly< like the portraits of St. Germain and the descriptions in the literature -- a small compact man, dark complexion, very dark eyes, of indeterminate age. It would have been easy to brush him off, but one time in his office I realized he was reading my mind. He did it by talking in a steady stream and I realized that he was echoing my thoughts. I know it sounds crazy, but it really happened. Didn't seem like a supernatural thing, but a technique. He had a doctorate from the Sorbonne from about 1950, but he really didn't look old enough to have done that. I know he spoke a number of other languages besides French, also medieval French, all very fluently. It was impossible to tell how old he was. I suppose the rational explanation is that he was a practical joker, interested in the occult, who had realized that he resembled the historical character and decided to have some fun. ;)

illuminati37411 said:
When in college in 1984 I had a very strange French professor who dropped heavy hints that he was the Count de St. Germain, and he really did a good job of it too.

There was a French bloke called Richard Chanfray who claimed to be the Count, and even went on TV in 1972 to turn lead into gold using a camping stove to prove it. Wasn't the same man was it?

I am just wondering about dropping heavy hints.......

Zo...my new leetle stewdents (note the duck's flawless french accent!)...I waz, 'ow you say, 'oping zat ewe mite noteece zat I, your professor magnifique, am ze...hee hawee 'on (french laff) looking quite good fer ma age..Non? Well, ma leetle amis...regardez le pic de le comte de st.germaine et comparez avec moi! Stunning? Non...Anyway, lesson for today....(le nudge nudge, ze wink wink ). :D

Actually, joking aside, can you do an on line check to see if your prof is still there and what his b'day might be?

Immortality!!

gncxx: Yes, I've seen that guy's pic, I think it was in the FT article, but he's not my prof. Actually that guy didn't even really look like the pics of the count. My prof looked about in his late 40's when I knew him. No wrinkles but balding,& facially he was a dead ringer for that famous engraving.

Gadaffi: :D LOL!! Your hilarious monologue is not that far off! As I said, I was very gullible. But, sigh, for immortality. I have since met a couple of other ladies who ran into the Immortal Count, (I hear he lunches at Books A Million on occasion) and one even knew his birthday!! He told her (she was into astrology) that he was born in 1920 which would make him in his 80's now. I think he is still alive and well altho I haven't seen him in about 10 or 15 years.

MaxMolyneux said:
I heard Olives can help you live longer

Perhaps the Immortal Count de Saint Germain eats olives, if he eats anything, that is. There is a book out now too about foods to eat to look young, which stresses lots of salmon. Start now, Molyneux, don't wait until the wrinkles set in!

Cheers. That explains why us scandies look so young - Salmon (shame about the aging effects of booze, baccy and so forth) :lol:

I believe Shangri-La has been found, although it's pretty much a desert region now (I saw a documentary a while ago on telly which was very interesting).
That said, I don't think the fountain of everlasting youth has been found - it may have dried up. :(
However - you never know - it might be rediscovered one day, and we can find out whether the legend was true.

I got a book by mail order from one of these occult bokshops which advertise in the back of the FT. It gave a series of five excercises which, if performed daily, would roll back the years and make you young again. As an encouragement it said that after just 10 days people would start saying to you "you look younger".

So I did the excercises for 10 days and - I'm not making this up - 3 separate people came up to me and said "you're looking younger".

Being a lazy overweight slob I then gave up.

Memo to self>> must try this again.

plusk said:
I got a book by mail order from one of these occult bokshops which advertise in the back of the FT. It gave a series of five excercises which, if performed daily, would roll back the years and make you young again. As an encouragement it said that after just 10 days people would start saying to you "you look younger".

So I did the excercises for 10 days and - I'm not making this up - 3 separate people came up to me and said "you're looking younger".

Being a lazy overweight slob I then gave up.

Memo to self>> must try this again.

Can you tell us what the name of this book is, please?

>> Goes to book shelf where he knows the book has been for years<< It's not there. Sigh!.

Remembers that it's called something like "5 Tibetan Secrets of health and Immortality".

>> Googles above. It does not come up but a Thorson's e-book called "5 Chinese Secrets... " comes up. From reading the blurb it's the same book.
Unfortunately you have to pay to download it and I can't find a free version on the web.

Will now get into a tizz and spend the next two days ransacking the house looking for the original book.

Is it The Ancient Secret of the Fountain of Youth? Here's an extract from one of the reviews of that book at amazon.com:
There are five Tibetan rites. The first is just swinging around like an idiot. The second one is where you are just lying down and you raise your legs while touching your chin to you chest. The next rite is where you just arch your back. The fourth is when you position yourself so you look like a table. And the fifth is where you alternate looking like a "V" and and then looking like a cobra. Takes about 5 minutes. Do each 3 times. If you can't do any, don't worry. People who can hardly move are able to do so eventually. Add 1 repitition a week and build up to 21 repitions. This can take as little as 10 to 20 minutes. And that's it!

Yep,

That's exacly it nissy! And in fact although it is book length, that review sums it up in a nutshell - you hardly need any more information.

My memory still says it had "Tibetan" in the title though. Oh well.

You know, those exercises sounds actually doable. So doable that I just ordered a used copy from Amazon for $5.98 + shipping. :)

I betcha that it was previously pubbed under another title. Or maybe someone else wrote about the same thing. Let us know when you find the book what the title is.

I am constantly losing books in my house, even though I finally sorted them by subject in my own system (bookshelves for history and bios, a cabinet of metaphysics with fortean stuff mixed in, then cookbooks, computer manuals, English & Japanese dictionaries in a shelf in the kitchen, a bookshelf for religion and mythology in the living room, art books in the studio. Fiction alphabetized in two shelves.) But I still lose books. I applied for a job once in a used bookstore, and one of the questions they asked me was did I think sorting through old books would be boring. When I told my husband later, he howled with laughter, and said that was what I loved doing more than anything. But apparently I didn't show enough enthusiasm in the interview because I didn't get the job. :roll:

Hi illy,

I'm all sorted using the Dewey system. (Sad or what). Of course this does not prevent son, daughter, wife, nanny, friends moving or borrowing books. :furious:

[quote="plusk"I'm all sorted using the Dewey system. (Sad or what).

No, quite admirable! That's my next step, along with built-in bookcases. Then library cards and people have to sign out when they borrow.

And thanks, Escargot -- I'm printing out the exercises right now so I can get started on immortality before the book arrives.

Looking over the illos, they remind me a bit of Pilates. The woman who taught the Pilates class I took a few years back was extremely slinky. Now, there's a woman selling an exercise tape on tv here that is supposed to build up your abs, and she looks like a baboon to me, all bent over because her stomach muscles are so taut.

I don't understand the whole six-pack thing, I mean why I'm supposed to want one, and I'm convinced that running until your knees have to be replaced isn't the way to go. I think Winston Churchill said, "I never stand if I can sit; I never sit if I can lie down." I just spent the afternoon walking in 90 degree heat all over a mountain, and I'm sitting now, so it's time to go lie down. :lol:

Clare Rayner says that her advice to young nurses was 'Never stand if you can sit, never sit if you can lie, and never lie if you'll be found out!' ;)

I will be trying the exercises too. They must've just apeared on t'interweb if all these clever netty bods didn't spot them. :lol:

Just do a google search on "Tibetan 5 rites", they're listed on a few sites, pictures and full instructions.

a French bloke called Richard Chanfray who claimed to be the Count

yes, he even made some records - the funky comte!

Unfortunately immortality eluded him, he killed himself in 1983.

Actually, I performed the "5 rites" every day for a while, I did them as I thought they would boost my Qi Gong practice, not because I was persuing immortality!

I felt better and slept better while I was doing them, unfortunately I stopped doing them after a while so I can't comment on the effects of continued practice.

Time to bump this thread on the subject of immortality ...

China’s First Emperor Ordered Official Search for Immortality Elixir
By Megan Gannon, Live Science Contributor | December 27, 2017 04:10pm ETThe first emperor of China, Qin Shi Huang, wanted to live forever.

Newly discovered documents reveal that 2,200 years ago, he even put out an executive order to search for a potion that would give him eternal life, China’s Xinhua news agency reported. ...

During his reign, strips of bamboo or wood known as slips were common writing materials. In 2002, more than 36,000 slips containing ancient calligraphy were discovered in an abandoned well in central China's Hunan province, according to Xinhua. ...

The news agency reported that Zhang Chunlong, a researcher at the Hunan Institute of Archaeology, analyzed 48 medicine-related slips from that collection and found that the emperor’s decree to search for immortality potions reached frontier regions and remote villages. ...

The wooden slips even contained some responses from villages. One town called "Duxiang" reported back to the emperor that its inhabitants hadn’t yet found the elixir of life, while another town in the modern-day Shandong Province in eastern China offered an herb from a local mountain. ...

FULL STORY: https://www.livescience.com/61286-first-chinese-emperor-sought-immortality.html

Back