• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Impaled! (Foreign Objects Thrust Into Or Through The Body)

This brings back another memory of school sports afternoon, when risk assessment, elf 'n safety and the like was none existent. Combine this with teachers who couldn't care less about the safety of pupils resulted in a recipe for disaster as excited pupils got hold of javelins discus etc. An over exuberant javelin thrower managed to pin my mate straight through the foot into the ground. The teacher nearly fainted the gormless wimp. The victim was fortunate in some respects in that only a very slightly longer throw would have killed him instantly.

This actually happened at a Wirral grammar school in 1983 -
(Safe Guardian article)

Experience: I killed my classmate with a javelin on sports day

I waited for the teachers to call me to throw. Ahead and to the right, I could see my classmates Sammy and Sarah, who had volunteered to mark ]the distances. I took my run-up, threw the javelin with all my might and watched it fly.

As it came down, it suddenly veered to the right, straight towards Sammy, who was distracted. Everyone could see what was going to happen. They screamed her name. In a split second, Sammy looked up and then ducked. I remember thinking: “Oh thank God, she’s OK.”

But the javelin hadn’t missed. It had hit Sammy just above her left eye. She stumbled forwards before collapsing. There was a lot of blood.

A terrible and very sad story.

I remember being taught javelin safety at PE lessons, so it wasn't negligent everywhere (I'll always remember the advice on how not to spear yourself with the javelin - it does happen!).

Had a few goes at javelin aged about 13. Having extraordinarily poor co-ordination I was obviously a danger to myself and everyone else so my field events career was sadly cut short.

Also good for cutting your hands to shreds. I still have scars ( a couple are 50 years old) on my fingers from the good old Stanley knife. One is recent ( no I don't learn from history). Use at your peril.
Like with all knives, counter-intuitively, the sharper the knife the safer it is, injuries usually happen when you are applying too much pressuse whilst cutting, making the blade slip.

Also good for cutting your hands to shreds. I still have scars ( a couple are 50 years old) on my fingers from the good old Stanley knife. One is recent ( no I don't learn from history). Use at your peril.
I never had much success even with a Stanley knife to be honest. My point was that pigskin seems a lot tougher than mine, so how good is it for experiments replicating injuries to humans?

I never had much success even with a Stanley knife to be honest. My point was that pigskin seems a lot tougher than mine, so how good is it for experiments replicating injuries to humans?
I wouldn't know really, but I suppose it's the most readily available resource.

I know they practice tattooing on pig skin

I know they practice tattooing on pig skin
Yes and I also heard there is a special substance available now that apprentice tattooists can use. Pig will be cheaper though. When I was younger, they used to practice on themselves, usually the legs.

I've just remembered a biker I once met who had a half-finished image of the Mad Hatter's Tea Party from the Alice books covering his back. He was waiting for the tattooist to be released from prison in order to get it completed.

The US military uses - or used - pigs to train doctors for battlefield surgery.

The pigs were, they assured us, anaesthetised before being shot or blown up.

I am pretty sure it was in The Animals Film. :(

Some years ago a friend of mine was awoken in the early hours of a Sunday morning, by someone in his street screaming out in pain for help.

By the time my mate had gotten out of bed and looked out of his bedroom window, his neighbours were coming out of their houses to see what was going on.

Basically a young lad had impaled himself on the spiked railings of a park, opposite to which my mate lived.

The guy had been walking home drunk, and had decided to take a short cut to his home by climbing over the railings and walking through the park.

He’d obviously slipped and one on the railings had gone right through one of his legs.

Indeed James, but it bought water to his eyes eh..?

We have all done silly things whilst under the influence though.

I has the misfortune of drunkenly staggering into a full size window, whilst on holiday in the Algarve back in the late 90’s.

16 stiches in the back of my calf at Faro hospital. Not one of my finer moments to be honest.

To make matters worse, Mrs DT very foolishly gave the hospital staff my correct details i.e. full name and what hotel we were staying at, so I spent the rest of the Holiday expecting and worrying about a visit from the Portuguese police

I've just remembered a biker I once met who had a half-finished image of the Mad Hatter's Tea Party from the Alice books covering his back. He was waiting for the tattooist to be released from prison in order to get it completed.

My first tattoo was done by a nationally-famous artist with a drink problem.

He did tattoos in the mornings and vehicle-spraying in the afternoons. It was considered wise to catch him as early as possible before the shakes set in!

Last time I looked he was still going strong in the next city.

My first tattoo was done by a nationally-famous artist with a drink problem.

He did tattoos in the mornings and vehicle-spraying in the afternoons. It was considered wise to catch him as early as possible before the shakes set in!
What time was your appointment?

The US military uses - or used - pigs to train doctors for battlefield surgery.

The pigs were, they assured us, anaesthetised before being shot or blown up.

I am pretty sure it was in The Animals Film. :(
I really really detest this sort of thing, notwithstanding the potential benefits to soldiers. Very much the same as the Police and the Army deliberately putting animals in harms way to save asses. Don't care how much flak I get from certain quarters.:D

My first wife worked for the ambulance service decades ago
And she told me of a bloke the crew had to pick up who had stuck a plant stalk up his willie but it had barbs??
Bristles on it so he and his boyfriend couldn’t get it out (ouch ouch ouch)

In 2016 a woman was killed at Virginia Beach when a wind-blown beach umbrella stabbed her in the chest.

https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/strange-deaths.10395/post-1592599

This more recent (and non-fatal) case involves a woman who was similarly impaled by a wind-blown beach umbrella at Ocean City (Maryland) 3 years ago. She survived and is pursuing a major lawsuit.
PA woman impaled by beach umbrella files negligence lawsuit

A woman who was impaled by a beach umbrella in Maryland three years ago has sued the town and umbrella business, claiming their negligence resulted in serious injuries.

Jill Mendygral, of Kingston, Pennsylvania, was lounging on the beach in Ocean City on her first day of vacation when an umbrella was swept up by gusts of wind and impaled her chest, according to the lawsuit, filed Thursday in U.S. District Court.

Rescuers cut off the end of the umbrella, leaving the tip in her chest until a Maryland State Police helicopter could transport her to a hospital.

The Baltimore Sun reports that the lawsuit says Mendygral required surgery for the wound in her chest. To this day, she has back pain and pelvic pain, numbness in her right arm and hand, and a range of mental health conditions, among other ailments, the complaint alleges.

Her lawyer, Eric Lickstein, argues that none of her injuries or trauma would have occurred if not for the negligence of the Town of Ocean City or 85 n Sunny LLC, a company that rents umbrellas, beach chairs, boogie boards and more. ...
FULL STORY: https://wjactv.com/news/local/pa-woman-impaled-by-beach-umbrella-files-negligence-lawsuit-06-06-2021

Canine rather than human condition:

Molly the Labrador impaled by one-metre-long stick

Molly, a 17-month-old black Labrador, was chasing her ball down a wooded hill but ran into a branch which went into her chest.
It missed her major organs by a fraction.

Molly was referred to Scarsdale Vets - Pride Veterinary Centre in Derby where she had life-saving surgery and careful aftercare.

Two months after the accident Molly has made a full recovery and owner Amy Gaunt from Burton upon Trent said you would not know anything had happened.

video at link.

An Italian factory worker shot himself in the scrotum with a nail gun.
Factory worker, 27, gets 1.8cm-long nail removed from his scrotum after accidentally shooting himself with a nail gun

A factory worker had to have a nail removed from his scrotum after he accidentally shot himself with a nail gun.

The unidentified 27-year-old man, from Italy, was rushed to hospital after his horrific pneumatic gun injury.

But when doctors first looked at his scrotum, they could not see any sign of the nail — despite him being in obvious agony. ...

There was no clear wound in his skin, forcing medics to use an ultrasound to find the hidden 1.8cm nail.

Urologists noticed a thin white line behind his right testicle and whisked him away for surgery in case it was the missing nail.

Their suspicion proved true, with the nail stuck between the top of his testicle and his penis.

Remarkably, he suffered no lasting damage to his right testicle or epididymis — the tube that stores sperm. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/...nail-removed-scrotum-shot-nail-gun-Italy.html

In 2016 a woman was killed at Virginia Beach when a wind-blown beach umbrella stabbed her in the chest.

https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/strange-deaths.10395/post-1592599

This more recent (and non-fatal) case involves a woman who was similarly impaled by a wind-blown beach umbrella at Ocean City (Maryland) 3 years ago. She survived and is pursuing a major lawsuit.

FULL STORY: https://wjactv.com/news/local/pa-woman-impaled-by-beach-umbrella-files-negligence-lawsuit-06-06-2021
Am I really bad for laughing at this? Poor woman though.

A tradesman in India survives (so far) being impaled through the skull by a 6m metal pole:

Tradie miraculously survives horror workplace injury
A tradie has miraculously survived after he was impaled, through his head, by a 6m metal pole.

The 24-year-old man was among a group of construction workers on a building site in Ghaziabad, New Delhi, the Times of India reports.

He had been working on the ground floor on July 31 when the 6m-long iron rod came loose while other workers were trying to remove scaffolding on the 20th floor.

Despite cries for him to move as the scaffolding rod fell, the tradie only had time to look up as the rod pierced his skull.
https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/r...y/news-story/3ccc95e20b9238b8f04c4b653542ae65

An Australian woman was attempting to kill a spider in her bedroom when she freaked out and jumped off her bed, impaling her foot with the stiletto heel on one of her shoes.

ImpaledFoot&HiHeel.jpeg
Shocking spider mistake leaves Sydney woman in hospital: 'Emotional wreck'

A shoe is not an uncommon tool to combat a rogue spider, but one Sydney woman had the tables turned when her high heel shoe ended up stabbing her in the foot while trying to squash the hairy intruder.

When Alyssa Lambert, 25, spotted the arachnid making itself comfortable in her bedroom, she decided deploying a bit of bug spray was the best way to handle the situation.

Moments later as she stood on her bed trying to get the spider, she jumped off in fright. When she landed on the ground below, it was pure agony.

The next thing she knew, Ms Lambert was on her bedroom floor with the 7cm heel of her shoe stuck in her foot, not realising it had been lying beneath her as she jumped. ...

When paramedics arrived, they had to wrap her foot and hold the heel in place while carrying her down the stairs and into the ambulance.

When she arrived at the hospital, her foot was X-rayed, revealing 4.5cm of the heel had impaled in her extremity. ...
FULL STORY (With Photos): https://au.news.yahoo.com/awkward-spider-mistake-leaves-sydney-woman-in-hospital-072952969.html

... Basically a young lad had impaled himself on the spiked railings of a park, opposite to which my mate lived.
The guy had been walking home drunk, and had decided to take a short cut to his home by climbing over the railings and walking through the park.
He’d obviously slipped and one on the railings had gone right through one of his legs.

Here's a more radical variation on this theme. A UK man fell while trying to climb over a spiked security fence, both ankles were impaled, and he had to hang there upside down for 5 days until he was discovered. The accident cost him both his legs.
Man impaled upside down on metal fence for five days forced to drink own urine to survive

A man who took a shortcut over a seven-foot fence was left hanging upside down for five days after slipping and becoming impaled on metal spikes. Dale Whitehurst found himself forced to drink his own urine to get through the 112-hour ordeal after being left with no food or drink.

As rescuers searched for the 44-year-old was hallucinating and thinking he was going to die as he waited in agony to be saved. Despite having a mobile phone it had fallen too far away for him to reach ...

By the time he was found it was too late to save his legs which had become riddled with sepsis. However he still defied the odds to survive with doctors telling him later "it's like a miracle". ...
FULL STORY: https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/man-impaled-upside-down-metal-6794270

According to an episode of QI I saw, drinking your own urine while parched is one of the worst things you can do, because it's so salty.

A (California) Bay Area man was thrown off his offroad motorcycle, impaled on a broken branch, and died.

Bay Area man dies after freak accident in Mendocino National Forest
A Bay Area man died Sunday after a freak biking accident in the Mendocino National Forest. ...

Rex Brian Powell, 68, of San Rafael, was dirt biking with his son near the Middle Creek Campground when they encountered debris on the trail. According to the California Highway Patrol, the son braked to avoid the debris, causing Powell to also abruptly stop. Powell braked hard enough to be thrown from his 2022 Husqvarna motorcycle, landing in some nearby bushes where a broken branch impaled him. The Lake County News reported Powell was wearing "full protective gear" at the time. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Bay-Area-man-dies-after-trail-accident-17080910.php

Back