• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Improvised Condoms (Crisp Packets; Cling Wrap; etc.)

Timble2

Imaginary Person
I have no idea where this belongs, so mods move it if you want.

I've heard stories over the years about people who tried this sort of thing, but thought they were ULs. I mean wouldn't crisp packets be a bit scratchy, not to mention gritty?

At:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3473415.stm

Warning over clingfilm 'condoms'

Some young couples cannot afford condoms
Cash-strapped teenagers are using clingfilm and crisp packets as condoms because they cannot afford the real thing, say experts.
Sexual health experts say these improvised contraceptives not only do not work - but do not offer protection against disease.

The Family Planning Association is calling for more government money for free contraceptives.

Consultant Peter Greenhouse said: "This happens when people are desperate."

Mr Greenhouse, who also set up the first integrated sexual health clinic in Ipswich in 1991 and is now based at the Bristol Royal Infirmary, said that such practices were common in the UK's poorest areas.

Mr Peter Greenhouse, consultant in sexual health
He said: "The use of crisp packets and cling film is something anyone who has been working in sexual health for any period of time knows.

"These young people are so poverty stricken they cannot even afford the bus fare to get into town, so how can they afford condoms?

"The message about sexually transmitted diseases has got through to teenagers but they don't have the money to implement the advice..............

fixed the quote - schnor

a guy at work suggested:

Cheesy Wotsits
Monster Munch

not what you want to hear just before answering the phone;)

I first heard of this when I was a child and a friend of my mothers came home from an evening out to find his baby-sitter and her boyfriend romping on his sofa using only cling-film as protection....so there's at least one recorded case but as for crisp packets...... it's the physics of it and those ridges on the edges.....I'm going to stop thinking about this.......

forget the ridges on the edges, it's the ridges on the CORNERS!!!!!!

I am so glad I'm not responsible for anyone eprsonal and social education any more.......:D

Kath

I thought planned parenthood gave out condoms or the health department. All the girls I knew in school that wanted birth control would go there without parental knowledge to get such things.

But you are right Stonedoggy OUCH OUCH OUCH !!!!!! lacerations.

Just contemplating the effects of the detritus from salt and vinegar potato chips on certain mucus membranes...

I'll got lie down now.

And the salt on top of the lacerations!!! again I say OOOOOWWWW!!!!

there's probably a Special Interest Group on it somewhere.....

Is there any sort of crisp packet that /doesn't/ go scrunch scrunch when you er... scrunch it?

Kath :eek!!!!:

stonedoggy said:
Is there any sort of crisp packet that /doesn't/ go scrunch scrunch when you er... scrunch it?

now u mention it no i hevent seen any... is there a reason for this?

stonedoggy said:
there's probably a Special Interest Group on it somewhere.....

Kath :eek!!!!:

Go to newsgropes (!) alt. crunch/soggy bits.:D

well, in recent times many of the aesthetic objections to condoms have gone.... my mind just won't get to grips with the reality of this (see above comment about personal and social education :D) and it's picked on a totally minor BUT EXTREMELY IMPORTANT issue...

SCRUNCH!

see?

Kath

"On the clingy" was for many years the only readily available
alternative to condoms in Catholic Eire! :eek:

I's assumed that was an urban horror legend.... the depth of my ignorance appalls me. :(

Kath

True Story, at least so the guy involved swore

Couple go to enjoy a bit of countryside nookie and when it turns wet find a nice comfprtable barn with in straw. They romp playfully for a while and then comes the moment - as they say - critique.

He screams

She screams

They scream louder when he tries to withdraw

Guring their play a seed of barley has found its way into the condom. Barley seeds are covered with stiff strong hairs. The hairs have embeded themselves in some very delicate tissues :eek!!!!:

I've a friend who likes to wrap himself in clingfilm as a fetish. I suppose it'd make a reasonably effective condom if you were careful. Crisp packets, though... Ow...

So we've got this far into the thread and no-one has mentioned Cheesy Moments.

You disappoint me.

I suppose that they are available in different sizes and varieties....

including the ominous Family Size :D

Kath

The problem with Cling Film (gives Glad Wrap a whole new meaning -- Australian joke!) isn't the strength or reliability of the film itself. It's the rubber band used to hold it on.

At least, that's how the UL that used to go round my school ends.

I'd have thought a bread bag would be better, as it doesn't have the rough edges a crisp packet does.

Although fit could be a problem. Finding one the right size is quite difficult for some of us...

Thank you for making me wince more than I ever had through a thread on any message board ever. Thank you very much indeed! :eek:

In the 'Greased Lightning' scene in the fillum 'Grease', there is a bit of cling-film waving to symbolise the reference in the original stage show to the use of it as a contraceptive. John Travolta cheekily rubs a bit on his crotch just before jumping off the car.

Naughty.

Absolutely. I hope he wasn't considering using it to store food in the fridge for future consumption.

Back