• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

In 1983 British Ufologist Jenny Randles Established The Oz Factor

charliebrown

Justified & Ancient
One of the reasons why I think we are dealing with different realities is the Oz Factor.

When I was a teen, humanoids were in my bedroom and I felt isolation, no sound, time stopping, and things were in slow motion.

I really thought I was in another reality.

Jenny Randles noted this experience over and over in her interviews with people who claimed they had a E.T. event.

The Oz Factor is real.

Actually....Dr Jacque Vallee had written at least 4 books by 1979 talking about high strangeness and related aspects . I suspect that he was the one really responsible for first bringing up this aspect in ufology. The Invisible College, Edge of Reality and Messengers of Deception all go into the weird aspects of the ufo enigma. Randles was no doubt aware of and probably knew Dr Vallee and she might have been the one to use the 'OZ' term. And John Keel had written 6 or 7 books before '83 , all dealing with high strangeness cases and weird ufo reports. The Mothman Prophecies came out in 1975 but he was there in the late 60's. The 8th Tower also came out in 1975...and was the first one I recall where an actual theory of alternate realities was presented as it related to ufos. Keel called it 'The Superspectrum' which was the origin of 'alternate beings' and their 'ufo craft'.
*For those interested in the weirder aspects of this I highly recommend Messengers of Deception by Vallee and The 8th Tower by Keel....both go deeply into this and also Dimensions by Vallee which basically sums up Vallee's ideas on the whole ufo enigma; perhaps the best book I have ever read on this subject.

When I was a teen, humanoids were in my bedroom and I felt isolation, no sound, time stopping, and things were in slow motion.
Fascinating and perhaps some common ground here - I became interested in ufology for a reason.

If please possible, could you elaborate, if it's absolutely not troubling to recall.

When you say, 'humanoids', was this in the context of, 'earthly', 'spiritual beings', or from another world?

How did there incidents begin/end and what time elapsed between - seconds/minutes?

Was there any communication, either spoken or telepathic?

What was it all about - were you ever able to understand why?

I know of this experience - that dread of suddenly being frozen, an observer, where time is suspended and then...

As a child, putting it all down to being some kind of... punishment from God? Shivering occurrences I have never really thought about for many years (no wonder!), until this very moment.

I have experienced what I think is the Oz Factor and have posted it on this great forum but haven't read any books by Vallee but on the Joe Rogan show I couldn't watch anymore as it was so boring and just the same old 2nd/3rd hand crap but no disrespect to the man but the Rogan show is just boring unlike some of the shows we have watched in the past like Arthur C Clarke and Strange But True ?

Sabresonic,

I am not a book on the shelf, and the Oz Factor is real.

How would you feel if there was no sound, and your body’s senses are non existent.

One has the feeling of loss of control and immediate terror comes over your body.

And there you are with 3 to 4 feet humanoids looking at you.

But my humanoids are different, not really scary, rectangle and not oval eyes.

But the humanoids look sick, really sick, thin, pasty white, in a strange jump suit with shoes that look like they belonged to Mickey Mouse.

I was controlled by a white light from a rod, and eventually went to sleep.

It took years of flash backs to remember all what happened.

A white beam seemed to be a transport system.

Sabresonic,

In fairness, I don't think he said that. However, he did say...
..Joe Rogan show I couldn't watch anymore as it was so boring and just the same old 2nd/3rd hand crap but no disrespect to the man but the Rogan show is just boring..
..and repetitive. No disrespect to him, though.

..unlike some of the shows we have watched in the past like Arthur C Clarke and Strange But True ?
You may be looking back with a somewhat rose-tinted glow, there
Both - the latter especially - whilst well produced etc were easily capable of superficiality.

But the humanoids look sick, really sick, thin, pasty white, in a strange jump suit with shoes that look like they belonged to Mickey Mouse.
tumblr_ppysjbyyF51w4x0dd_1280.jpg

Sabresonic,

How would you feel if there was no sound, and your body’s senses are non existent.

One has the feeling of loss of control and immediate terror comes over your body.

Interesting and I have experienced the Oz Factor when everything is detached i.e. no people, cars, birds singing in a street and the feeling of depression and then I saw a Orange Ball in the sky with my mate that then shot upwards disappearing but maybe I need hypnoses.

Love the picture Skinny who ever he is ?

I know you guys are saying that I must suffer Sleep Paralysis in the worst way to see aliens.

To bad I did not take a cocktail napkin or a toothbrush from the alien ship or dimension warp, and bring it back with me as proof.

That is what sucks with UFOs, no way to prove their existence.

I know you guys are saying that I must suffer Sleep Paralysis in the worst way to see aliens.
Perhaps I'm being obtuse, but where was this said by anyone?
That is what sucks with UFOs, no way to prove their existence.
Oh, Unidentified Flying Objects, to use the increasingly archaic, exist alright. It's what they are that's up for discussion (I tend towards a multitude of things, all of which look similar). Still, if we knew for certain what they all were they wouldn't be Fortean, would they?

You are perfectly correct Stu Neville, no one accused me of sleep paralysis. I am sorry.

I was just thinking this was government’s standard answer like “ swamp gas “ or Venus, or mass hysteria.

I will try to choose my words more carefully.

Sabresonic,

Hi Charlie - Are you familiar with Sleep Paralysis? Not saying this is what you experienced but it maybe related.

https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/adventures-in-sleep-paralysis.42889/page-6

https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/sleep-paralysis-night-hag-experience.3328/

Last edited:
Hi Charlie - Are you familiar with Sleep Paralysis?
To head off any potential misinterpretation - charliebrown, I don't think Naughty Felid is implying anything here, but leading from your posts is asking if you have ever experienced Sleep Paralysis as distinct from your other experiences?

Last edited:
No sorry Stu I was but I did miss Charlie's post above mine - sorry Charlie.

Charlie - I've looked at your posting history have you posted about your experiences elsewhere here in more depth?

I've also had the experience of being asleep, waking up, terrified, and being surrounded by people dressed in grey robes. Weirdly enough other people had also had the same experience in that room.

I don't think "accused" is what people are doing. You've come to a Fortean website and by its nature, Forteans are interested in people's perception of their experience. Also when anyone has an episode of high strangeness it's normal for us to ask a poster to consider what other possible explanations could have caused that experience.

Last edited:
I have experienced what I think is the Oz Factor and have posted it on this great forum but haven't read any books by Vallee but on the Joe Rogan show I couldn't watch anymore as it was so boring and just the same old 2nd/3rd hand crap but no disrespect to the man but the Rogan show is just boring unlike some of the shows we have watched in the past like Arthur C Clarke and Strange But True ?
I would watch the old video of Dr Vallee and read the short piece...his books addressed this 'Oz' factor many years ago, long before others talked on it. 'Dimensions' is the one that encapsulates most of his ideas in this area.
Joe Rogan ia not my cup of tea either...I don't like him or his show. Not sure why Dr Vallee felt the need to go on there unless he was promoting a new book.
I have read almost everyone in the UFO field over the last 45 years and longer...and Dr Vallee's books are the most interesting and well written of the lot. His ideas about possible origins are unique and look at the ufo enigma from a different angle.

He actually looks sorta like my aliens, except this dude is too tall.

I've seen a few interesting 'Oz factor' UFO experiences collected on Michael Swords' blog (drawing on his several decades worth of files). Some of them really make you wonder what the phenomenon is about. Here's a sample (original here):

Case two: April 1978, Montreal, Quebec. A young man [19] was just finishing first Sedar with relatives and it had grown late [10:15pm] and the dog needed to be walked. He had a "standard route" for this chore and so was completely familiar with the surroundings. This night, however, there was a distinct lack of anything else going on: "I was the only person out that night. It was like in the movies when a crime is committed or a monster comes out and chases you--you are all alone and the viewer thinks how unrealistic can you get! But that's exactly what happened. The streets were deserted , no animals, no cars passing by, no other people". There was something though. A bright yellow light was dancing about in the sky. Feeling a bit foolish at the moment, the young man said [mentally] that he'd like to go on a trip with a spaceship. At that the cylindrical yellow light became a silver saucer and instantly moved almost directly above him. [over a streetlight]. A door or hatch seemed to be opening, and the witness was scared to death. He said [again mentally] that he didn't want to be taken and please go away. The hatch then closed, the saucer became like light, and then "broke up into smoke and disappeared", only to reappear some distance away. He and his dog [which never responded at all to this thing] were walking in the direction of the now-distant light towards a small forested area. That thought gave him pause. Did he really want to walk the dog in the forest? Mentally he thought: No you're not getting me to go in there. The light changed to the disk again and flew straight at him. This time he completely panicked and screamed "NO!" out loud. Very near to apparently hitting him, the disk did its vanishing act again and reappeared in the distance. Dog-walking was now low priority, and he ran back towards his house. The disk however was not quite through and resolidified and parked over the house across the street. Running inside, he told his mother what had happened, she of course not believing a word of it. Finally he convinced her to take a look. There the thing was, hatch open, and the craft vibrating. His mom said: "Oh my!" The hatch closed, the saucer became light then smoke and was gone again as a distant light.

What does this imply?

-'UFOs' can manipulate the environment, or exist in a sort of parallel environment to which the witness can be transported
-'UFOs' can, it seems, read minds, or interact with someone's mental state
-A sighting is more a 'performance' for a specific witness than anything else.

So far so psychological...but then it also appears that such things can be seen by people other than the original witness.

Last edited:
What's clear is that it diminishes the idea of UFOs as nuts and bolts 'spacecraft' - beyond the fact that the UFO, by transforming into a culturally accepted form of alien ship apparently in response to the witness, identifies itself as a spacecraft. It's very much a performance.

I really forgot I started this line of thought in 2020.

I was fascinated by two things in that my old back and white TV (remember the old TVs ?) went to static, and even no words were spoken, the humanoids were very human in their actions.

The humanoids were so afraid of me because I was not asleep.

The smaller ones all hide behind the 4 foot leader in honest terror of me.

It was what it was, and the absence of any sound told me “ I was not in Kansas anymore” ( from The Wizard Of Oz movie 1938).

Back