• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Incorrecto! State-Hired Mimes In Bogotá

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Screen Shot 2019-01-17 at 12.18.13.png

Another innovative idea was to use mimes to improve both traffic and citizens’ behavior. Initially 20 professional mimes shadowed pedestrians who didn’t follow crossing rules: A pedestrian running across the road would be tracked by a mime who mocked his every move. Mimes also poked fun at reckless drivers. The program was so popular that another 400 people were trained as mimes.

“It was a pacifist counterweight,” Mockus said. “With neither words nor weapons, the mimes were doubly unarmed. My goal was to show the importance of cultural regulations.”

Source:
https://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2004/03/academic-turns-city-into-a-social-experiment/

Don't mimes get enough ridicule and ill treatment without deliberately shaming others for minor misbehaviors?

On the other hand - where else can you get a steady job as a mime?

Oh I'd love to see this in Morecambe as the lovely clientele of Weatherspoons stagger out after the pint and breakfast jaywalking.

It reminds me of being at the Punk festival in Morecambe years ago, a poor clown got the job of entertaining the crowd. I think he got to the end of his tether in the evening when a lad pinched his hat and wouldn't give it him back. So he started punching him in the head, which made me laugh...he's a clown...he's meant to make people laugh right?

Back