• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Incredibly Long Fingernails

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Record nails broken in car crash

Lee Redmond had not cut her nails since 1979
An American woman listed in the Guinness Book of World Records for having the world's longest fingernails has had them broken off in a car crash.

Lee Redmond from Salt Lake City, Utah, had not cut her nails since 1979.

Their combined length was more than 28ft (8.5m), with the longest nail - on her right thumb - measuring 2ft 11in (89cm), Guinness said.

Ms Redmond suffered serious injuries in the crash, but is expected to make a full recovery.

A local newspaper, the Deseret News, said she was a passenger in a sports utility vehicle (SUV) at the time of the accident.

Her nails were "damaged beyond repair", according to the Guiness World Records website.

The company said she had been a "fantastic ambassador" for them, and that her nails had been "a fundamental part of her life and unique character".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7889890.stm

If she no longer has the longest nails, why does she still hold the record? Wouldn't it go to the next person with the longest nails?

How did she wipe her bum? Or do anything? Does she have a house full of servants?

rynner2 said:
How did she wipe her bum?"......

I'm glad I'm not the only person who was wondering about that....;)

Timble2 said:
I'm glad I'm not the only person who was wondering about that....;)
Well, as a Fortean, I like to get to the bottom of things.... 8)

Well, now she has to go and get a job like the rest of us, ha ha.

I'm thinking maybe a sponge on a stick? I work with a woman who has very long nails and I did once ask her how she attended to her personal ablutions, so to speak. Her answer? "Very carefully." :?

When she was mentioned in an earlier issue of FT, she did say the more "delicate" areas of life were done "very carefully" :wince:

47Forteans said:
When she was mentioned in an earlier issue of FT, she did say the more "delicate" areas of life were done "very carefully" :wince:
...like typing an email! :D

I have a slight phobia about long nails. It's all thanks to people like her grossing me out when I was small. She still makes me feel sick. I'm glad they snapped!

rynner2 said:
47Forteans said:
...like typing an email! :D

Perhaps she types with her toes?

Woman with 25ft fingernails tells how they snapped in crash
Lee Redmond, who until recently held the world record for her 25ft fingernails, has spoken of the car crash that robbed her of the impressive talons and, she says, her ''identity''.
Published: 6:50AM BST 03 Sep 2009

Ms Redmond, of Salt Lake City, Utah, had been growing her nails for 30 years when in February this year she was involved in an accident that left her injured and without her prized assets.

Speaking publicly for the first time since the loss of her nails, Ms Redmond said it was ''the most dramatic'' event in her life, but added: ''There's more to life than nails.''

The 68-year-old great-grandmother had nurtured her nails to a combined length of 28ft 4in (8.65m). She currently has 4.5ins (11.5cm) of nails and said she has no intention of growing them back to their full former glory.

To coincide with the launch of the 2010 edition of Guinness World Records, she spoke of her life since the crash.

She said: ''Losing my fingernails has been the most dramatic thing that's happened in my life. I think it was my grandson that said, 'Grandma, they are like your baby; you've taken care of them for 30 years and lost them in a second'.

''But then when you think about it, you know our whole life could end in a second, not just part of the body, but your whole life.''

She added: ''The thing that bothered me with losing the fingernails was that it becomes your identity and I felt like I'd lost part of that, yet I would always say when people would make comments about my fingernails, you know there's more to me than my fingernails.''

As to her future plans regarding her talons, Ms Redmond said: ''People ask if I'm going to grow them again and I say, no, it was a once time thing.

''It took me 30 years to grow them and to get them to that length and they became the world record, and I probably won't live for 30 more years.'' 8)

She added: ''After the accident, not my children, but my great-grand babies, they wanted me to glue them back on.

''I always did everything with them, but now it's so much easier to do things. The weight is so different. In fact my hands seem to fly with the weight gone.'' :D

To coincided with the interview, Guinness World Records is including a picture of Ms Redmond taken just three months before the crash in its latest edition.

The image is of Ms Redmond alongside the male holder of the longest fingernail title, fellow American Melvin Boothe.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... crash.html

image.jpg

She's a nail artist! More world records at link.

A 60-year-old nail artist from Texas has claimed the title for the longest fingernails on a pair of female hands, having grown her fingernails to 5 metres 76.4cm (18ft 10.9ins), according to the latest Guinness World Records.

Ayanna Williams, who has grown her fingernails for nearly 23 years, stays away from washing the dishes and uses anti-bacterial soap to clean them daily, followed by regular applications of nail hardener and a thin layer of acrylic.

Ms Williams says she does not come across “too much difficulty” doing everyday tasks, except for pulling up her trousers. ...

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/off...est&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=news_digest

Last edited by a moderator:
For the sake of illustration ... Here are two photos of Lee Redmond's record-setting fingernails from 1991 and 2007.

Redmond is still recognized as having had the longest documented fingernails ever known.

LeeRedmond-1991.jpg
LeeRedmond-2007.jpg

... Lee, from Salt Lake City in the US, had her place in the record books cut short when she was involved in a terrifying car crash and her nails were ripped off. ...

She was sitting in the passenger seat when the car she was in crashed into another three vehicles, and she was thrown onto the road. ...

"The thing that bothered me was, it becomes your identiy. I felt I had lost part of that."

... Lee faced a number of day-to-day struggles due to her long nails.

One of them was going to the toilet on a plane, and the nails meant she didn't fit into the small cubicles.

This meant she had to not eat or drink for 24 hours before every long flight.

SOURCE: https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/woman-worlds-longest-nails-cuts-23868360

Last edited:
Ayanna Williams - recognized for having the longest extant fingernails after Redmond's were lost in a car accident, has finally had hers trimmed to a practical length.
Woman with world's longest nails cuts them off - but says she's 'still the queen'

Guinness World Record holder Ayanna Williams has been growing her nails for almost 30 years, but decided it was time for a more practical style

The proud owner of the world's longest fingernails - measuring a total of 733.55cm - has cut them off, but says she will "still be the queen" despite losing her long claws.

Guinness World Record holder Ayanna Williams has been growing her nails for almost 30 years and they stop her from doing every day things like washing up and changing the bed sheets.

But she's decided the time has come to chop them off in favour of a "new life" in which she can do more things, but admits she will miss them. ...

Ayanna's fingernails will go on display at the Believe It or Not Museum in Florida. ...

Ayanna got her world record in 2017 after taking the title from Lee Redmond - who is still in the Guinness book for the longest nails in history. ...

FULL STORY (With Multiple Photos): https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/woman-worlds-longest-nails-cuts-23868360

For the sake of illustration ... Here are two photos of Lee Redmond's record-setting fingernails from 1991 and 2007.

Redmond is still recognized as having had the longest documented fingernails ever known.

View attachment 37800 View attachment 37801

SOURCE: https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/woman-worlds-longest-nails-cuts-23868360

I probably shouldn't have laughed but, going to the toilet on a plane?... Would going to the toilet anywhere at all be any easier?

Minnesota resident Diana Armstrong has recently been Guinness-certified as having the longest set of fingernails on a pair of hands (female) and the longest set of female fingernails ever. She's been growing them as a sort of tribute to her late daughter.

Minnesota woman's fingernails dubbed the world's longest

A Minnesota woman whose fingernails have a combined length of 42 feet and 10.4 inches was awarded two Guinness World Records titles.

Diana Armstrong earned the records for longest fingernails on a pair of hands (female) and the longest fingernails on a pair of hands ever (female) after Guinness World Records verified the length of her nails. ...

Armstrong, who has been growing out her nails for over 25 years, said her longest nail is her right thumb, at 4 feet and 6.7 inches, and her shortest is her left pinky, measuring 3 feet and 7 inches long.

Armstrong said she initially started growing out her fingernails after her daughter, Latisha, died from an asthma attack at the age of 16. ...

"She was the only one who did my nails. She polished them and filed them for me," Armstrong told Guinness World Records. "She did my nails that night before. We was up all night, so I just couldn't cut my nails off after that."
SOURCE: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2022/08/03/Guinness-World-Records-longest-fingernails/4031659540809/

You know when you cut your finger and have to have a plaster on it for a day or two- well that starts to annoy me after a couple of hours, but this- for years?!

Not to the extreme length of these folks... but according to my Mom, in the Atlanta area in the late 50's & early 60's, there was a fad for having one very long pinky nail amongst her peers.

Not to the extreme length of these folks... but according to my Mom, in the Atlanta area in the late 50's & early 60's, there was a fad for having one very long pinky nail amongst her peers.
I have seen this with an Arab Israeli guy. I remember asking him why and he gestured by itching his ear and scratching his arm. I can do that very well with short nails, but that was his answer.

Back