• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

'Indian Civilisation 9,000 Years Old'

I'm surprised that there isn't a section devoted to archeology really. I find that stuff rather interesting.

Good idea, Hermes - Alistair, please can you oblige??

Carole

Yes, FT puts plenty of archaeological stuff on its website already, so a forum to discuss it makes sense.

We promise not to mention Cornish sites too often - so pretty please?

This is a good idea.With this,the Cuban,and the Japanese discoveries,I'm starting to reconsider my former disbelief in immediate post ice-age civilizations.

Ancient civilizations may have existed during the Ice Age - not all the world was ice covered, and sea-levels would have been much lower, so most of the evidence for these civilizations could well be under deep water now.

Uuuh. Of course India is also the place where the gods battled with nuclear weapons. So an old civilisation would be quite interesting.

The normal story is that we Homo Sapiens were around for about 250.000 years and then started to have civilisations within the last 5000 right? Seems strange that nothing happened for so long. I am personally quite intrigued by the idea of ancient DaVinci's. Imagine a guy like him being born to some remote tribe thousands of years ago. He could suddenly burst their technological development to bronze age or so. Only to have it revert back when he died.

I imagine we could find traces of loads of ancient civilisations, that would rock our world view.

This may bring some more support to the 10000 years plus pyramids theory as well, as Egypt tries to regain its title as the oldest really impressive civilisation and starts to research the new archaeology stuff a bit more carefully.

I think an old stuff board would be a good idea there is a huge amount of ancient forteana, after all. In fact, almost all Fortean phenomenae seem to have happened in the past.

Well, they have to really. Except maybe prophecies and time travel.

From the BBC link:
"The Indian Minister for Human Resources and ocean development said a group had been formed to oversee further studies in the area.

"We have to find out what happened then ... where and how this civilisation vanished," he said. "

Being fathoms under the sea must have made it very hard to carry on as usual...

But seriously, many climatologists think that the Earth's climate is unstable, and it can flip in and out of an ice age in a very short period. So if the last ice age ended over a period of mere decades, the sea level rise would have been difficult to keep up with.

Even today, most of the Earth's population lives near sea level, so a swift rise would not only flood cities and homes but disrupt trade and agriculture. It would be difficult to maintain law and order in circumstances where most people would be forced to become brutal survivalists just to get food and shelter. Education and all the 'higher things' we are so proud of would be unsustainable.

I think an archaeological forum is an excellent idea - I have a bizarre fascination with this stuff.

As for the Indian find - it'll be interesting to see where it goes. I thought that 9500 bpe was a bit recent for it to be a post-glacial flood - didn't the last ice age end around 12000 bpe? If so these maybe cities were innundated two and a half thousand years too late for them to be associated with Hancock's theories.

The other problem I have with the post-glaciation catastrophe is the size of the gaps until the next civillisation comes along. Where did everything go between the floods (12000 bpe or 9500 bpe) and the next recorded civilisations - we're talking about gaps of thousands of years. Even if many of the major cities were on the coast they can't all have been.

I like the idea of Egyptian archaeologists striving to prove they had the older civilisation! I think even the hottest Egyptophile's are willing to give Sumeria the honours although you never know.

Pete

Back