• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Indian Yeti / Barmanu

It is an advertisement for online diplomas.

It's less blatant than "username random letters joins and posts links to product in numerous fora" however, and I may be wrong, "Hi, I'm excited to be here/ fascinated in xxx see you all soon. With link to product." is still pretty obvious.

Well not to me. I took it as being some sort of joke jibe. I can't imagine anyone actually trying to sell things like that, mainly because I can't believe anyone would really buy it.

Thanks both for clearing that up though.

Now this sounds worth a listen:

Today, Radio 4, 11.00 a.m. Yeti's Finger

...Tom Slick, an American oil tycoon, had the money and the desire to try to prove that yetis really do exist. He used his vast wealth to mount expeditions, sending off climber and explorer Peter Byrne into the most remote areas of the Himalayas to follow any leads he came across, and one seemed worth investigating further - a hand of a "yeti" in Pangboche monastery in Nepal. Byrne did a deal with the monks and replaced one finger of the hand with a human finger and arranged to have the yeti finger smuggled back to London.

How the finger actually reached London is a most bizarre tale that involved Hollywood film star James Stewart concealing it in his wife's lingerie case. And then the trail went cold. Slick died, Byrne went onto other things and the finger was lost to the world until it was found by chance in a forgotten collection of curiosities in the Royal College of Surgeons in London...

given the interest / controversy / scepticism / outright disbelief surrounding the Ketchum Sasquatch DNA saga that's still rumbling on, this'll be interesting - though I'm not holding my breath...

More on James Stewart and the Yeti finger here....

Slick, as ever, had a solution. An old hunting buddy of his was in India and might be able to assist Byrne. The friend turned out to be none other than the movie star Jimmy Stewart.
Slick knew that Stewart was on holiday in Calcutta and thought he might be sufficiently intrigued by the Yeti legend to help out. So a meeting was arranged in the Grand Hotel in Calcutta with Byrne, Mr Stewart and his wife Gloria.
His instincts were right. The Stewarts were happy to go along with it. In order to dodge customs, Gloria hid the finger in her lingerie case and they flew out of India with no trouble.
Back in London, the finger was handed over to Professor Osman Hill for examination. Chillingly, his tests — which involved comparisons with human hands — concluded that it was not human.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... stery.html

Bah, Gordon - couldn't you at least have said "humanoid", to keep things exciting a little longer?

A bit more on the BBC site here, for anyone interested.

But then that wouldn't have been what the results were! High probability of South East Asian ancestry.

Sorry.

Gordon

I know, I know - it's just a shame that the facts have got in the way of a good story!

I still think it's a good story even though it wasn't the end we were hoping for!

Gordon

The actual story of how the monestary got the hand is unknown but it is centuries old. Other yeti relics have turned out to be human or from a known animal. However supposed yeti hair from a tree in China has defied matching with a known species so far.
One human finger does not mean the yeti is not real.

"In order to dodge customs, Gloria hid the finger in her lingerie case . . . "

"Well I've heard of the Hand of Glory but I hate to think of it endangering National Security. Lady, would you spread your lingerie case, please . . . " :shock:

Bah, Gordon - couldn't you at least have said "humanoid", to keep things exciting a little longer?

A bit more on the BBC site here, for anyone interested.

That deserves a quote to draw attention to it:

Tracing the origins of a 'yeti's finger'
  • 27 December 2011
An anatomical specimen labelled "Yeti's finger" has been left overlooked in a museum for decades, its origins unexplained, until BBC reporter Matthew Hill set out to investigate.

In the vaults of the Royal College of Surgeons' Hunterian Museum in London are thousands of anatomical specimens from both human and animal species.

Still used as a teaching museum today, it was founded in the 18th Century by John Hunter, a surgeon, anatomist and naturalist.

His collection has been added to over the years, including in 1975 when a collection of research specimens and notes were bequeathed to the museum by primatologist Professor William Osman Hill.

The collection's catalogue was only rudimentary, and many specimens had not been cleaned or prepared, meaning there was little interest in terms of research, and much of it was left unseen for many years.

But in 2008, work on Prof Hill's collection turned up something very odd: a box of items apparently relating to his interest in crypto-zoology, the study of animals not proved to exist.

It contained plaster casts of a footprint, hair, scat (dropping) samples and an item recorded as a yeti's finger.

The specimen was 9cm (3.5 inches) long, 2cm wide at the widest part, curled and black at the end with a long nail.

According to the notes in the box, it was taken from the hand of a yeti. Its origin was listed as Pangboche Temple in Nepal.

Full Article:
https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-16264752

Very interesting, thanks for posting. As an aside and speaking of the Hunterian Musem, I was recently in the Tasmanian Museum archives and read the exchange, which went on for years, between the two institutions over a request for a thylacine skull. They got one in the end.

Let's hope so. What a peculiar case this was/is. I'd like to know whether it was just a case of hysteria or whether there was actually something behind the panic.
As to the current situation, here's another report from a local Indian paper adding not much more to what you've posted from MU:
https://english.mathrubhumi.com/new...among-residents-in-thrissur-village-1.4661877

Back