• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Indochinese Cryptid: Ingot / Lingot? (& Vanished French Regiment?)

A

Anonymous

Most people here are probably fairly familiar with the story of "The Creature Of The Dump" (if you are not, go to http://paranormal.about.com/library/weekly/aa051401a.htm , there might still be a thread on the Cryptozoology board here). However, on re-reading it for a bit of paranormal amusement today, i noticed this:
I probably won't be the first or only to inform you that what Paula saw at the dump may indeed be an unidentified Southeastern Asian creature known as an ingot [possibly lingot]. Check with Agence France-Press for stories about ingots during the final years of French involvement in Indochina. They were seen burrowing everywhere, and the descriptions of the bodies and eyes match those of Paula's story.

Old Indochina veterans in the French army could never explain them or where they came from, and there is no record of American sightings during this country's involvement later. General Jean de Lattre de Tassigny, supreme commander of French forces in Indochina, was so unnerved by sighting of burrowing ingots and the lack of information about them that he brought in a special team of researchers, who apparently found nothing. The ingot is like no other creature reported on earth, and it contributed to the general weirdness of the French experience in Indochina.

Ingots were reported in large numbers in 1953 around the North Vietnamese site where an entire French regiment vanished without a trace. This disappearance may have had nothing to do with ingots, but there are still old veterans in the cafes of Paris, Bordeaux and Marseilles who swear there was a connection. Incidentally, the reality of the disappearing regiment is well-documented. For a few years in the 1950s, burrowing ingots made big news in France. But France, like the US later, hid its Indochinese veterans and paid little attention to their stories... about anything. Such is defeat. - Loic C.

[Note: An Internet search has turned up no information about these ingots. Anyone out there have more information? - S.W.]
I couldn't find anything about "ingots" either (other than the more common meaning of the word), but i was just wondering if anyone knew anything else about this disappearing regiment? Or had heard of any of this stuff from any other sources?

I certainly don't remember anything about vanishing French regiments in any of the books i read about the Indochinese and Vietnam wars when studying history...

Wow, that's definitely some High Strangeness! I'd love to know more.

I don't know why you called it "Ingot", but this creature is the same as the Mongolian Death worms. Ingots is probably some rarely used or local name for it in some unknown place.

EDIT: Don't search for tetzelworms. :p

Perhaps I should clarify myself before I face the wrath of someone :p

Ingots were discussed at another discussion board I used to visit, but it was always talked of as the Mongolian Death Worm. The descriptions of the Mongolian Death Worm is exaggerated in local folklore, but it's pretty much the same as the Vietname ThingimiJIg.

Allegedly, a fat, bright red snakelike animal measuring two to four feet in length that supposedly has the dramatic ability to kill people and animals instantly at a range of several feet. The Mongolian Death Worm is believed to accomplish this by either spraying an enormously lethal poison, or by somehow transmitting high electrical charges into its victims.

The worm is said to be found solely in the sand dunes of the southern part of the Gobi Desert; Allghoi Khorkhoi (local name, meaning "intestine worm," because of its color and appearance) is so feared among the people of Mongolia that the simple mention of it is considered bad luck. It is believed that touching any part of the worm will bring instant death, and its venom supposedly corrodes metal. Local folklore also tells of a predilection for the color yellow and local parasitic plants such as the Goyo.

First reported in 1929, the Mongolian Death Worm is said to emerge during the hot months of June and July and to hibernate the rest of the year.

Allghoi Khorkoi

So I might actually get to go up the jungle after monsters after all?

Ah, IJ, i was waiting for you to poke your head around this thread (welcome back btw), how many men precisely constitute an:

Entire French Regiment

I had the general impression a whole regiment was an awful lot of men (thousands) and would the 'entire' regiment really ever be deployed in a single place at a single time? Sounding rather improbable to my ears...

And to think I was watching Tremors 2 on the Beeb last night ;)

The Frog: Do you have a link to that discussion you mention?

Emps

The Yithian said:
Ah, IJ, i was waiting for you to poke your head around this thread (welcome back btw), how many men precisely constitute an:

I had the general impression a whole regiment was an awful lot of men (thousands) and would the 'entire' regiment really ever be deployed in a single place at a single time? Sounding rather improbable to my ears...

Funny you should mention that...I'll use our names for the units here, but obviously different armies call them different things. Now, a regiment is usually (in most western armies) made up of battalions. Each of these is roughly a thousand men. I'd imagine that 'regiment' was just a word plucked out of the air and that what we're really looking at is a company (around 150 men) or even just a platoon (around 40 men). All the same, the disappearance of an entire company is fairly odd...

And you're right, an entire regiment would hardly ever be in one place all at once.

'Vanishing regiment' is a useful, spooky sounding descriptive statement which seems to crop up an awful lot in Forteana, eg, that mystery cloud gubbins (you know, the one they filmed with David Jason). I think I've heard a couple of other similar stories over the years. The Ingot thing is interesting though. Ah, the Mongolian Death Worm, if only all cryptids were as appealingly named.

Didn't think of an MDW connection. I thought the general consensus was that MDW was a mythologised/exaggerated version of a local venomous snake (something like a spitting cobra, but can't remember the actual name of it)?

But yes, it does rather resemble "Tremors" come to think of it...

Which was the other board where you saw "Ingots" mentioned, The Frog?

The Yithian said:

A French infantry regiment at the time was around 3500 men, including an attached battery of artillery and some armoured scout cars and transport. A formation like that's unlikely to be deployed all in one place, short of a major WWII-style battle.

some comments on the creature in the dump

To all:

The initial relation of "The Creature of the Dump", or the supposedly related ingots of French Indochina, to the Mongolian Death Worm, especially where attacks of such creatures are supposed to have harmed legions of soldiers, seems very much to be expected. However, in reading the story of the creature in the dump, a much different perception seemed to suggest itself.

The description of the creature is of something that burrows, and is about 2 inches in diameter, and almost up to a foot long, brown in color, with what looks like fine baby hair, and, supposedly, astonishingly blue eyes with incredibly white eyeballs. Since it's described as slow moving and sunning itself, it can also be assumed to be cold-blooded. In fact, all these descriptions add up to a kind of caterpillar!

The long and rounded shape and leathery, brownish skin lend to that idea. The size and its living underground could come from it being an anomalous variant. There could be many who might be led to believe that the baby hair and blue eyes would make it impossible to be a caterpillar, but, even there, the description can still fit. It is possible, for example, that what was described as "fine hair" might actually be the thin, sometimes even feathery spines that many breeds of caterpillars have all over their bodies. The "blue eyes", and the fact that they suddenly appeared can be explained by there being two spots on the creatures skin, which suddenly appeared when folds on the creature's body shifted to uncover them. Many caterpillar types also have spots on their skin, just behind their head, to give enemies the impression that they are larger than they really are, and to unnerve them with the impression that they are being watched closely. The fact that the creature is described as "looking toward the sun" all the while it was being watched can also be explained by this. No creature, it seems, would be able to stand staring at the sun for that long. And, especially considering that the creature seems to live a large part of its life underground, the idea of its being able to stand looking at the sun for a long time is even more undermined.

That this creature is some form of strange caterpillar species seems eminently likely. This would not be so unreasonable, since, if memory serves, the Fortean Times web site itself had a news article, a few months back, about a particularly large breed of caterpillar being found in some English fields, in the last year.

It's almost tempting to suggest that this may be an immature form of the creature called the "Mothman". That creature was certainly said to have some preference for the underground munitions depots in Point Pleasant.

To be sure, there being some connection between the creature in the dump and some unusual creatures from Asia is not unlikely, either. The dump mentioned was in Oregon, on the western coast of the United States, one of the first spots a ship from Asia would hit would be the west coast of the United States. It is possible that something could have been transported here.

And that some kind of variant of caterpillar, with poisonous spines, could be the source of the Mongolian Death Worm stories is not unlikely, either.

Another point seems eminently reasonable to bring out, namely, that the creature of the dump is reported in Oregon. If one looked, one would find that Oregon almost outdoes any other state in unusual manifestations. The famous "Oregon Vortex", where even gravity and laws of perspective seem not to work correctly, is situated there; it's not unlikely that numerous Sasquatch reports have come from there; the enigmatic crook D. B. Cooper supposedly parachuted from a plane, carrying a fortune, over Oregon; and Oregon is one of the states most afflicted by chemtrails.

Rather tangentially, too, is an episode of a Canadian produced series built around monsters of various types. It may have been called "Monsters"; it was by the makers of the series, "The Dark Side". In this episode, an American squad of soldiers infiltrates an underground headquarters of Viet Cong, during the Viet Nam War, wiping out the battalion there. They then learn of some kind of curse, of some "evil let loose" that, supposedly, lives in the soil. The outgrowth is that the corpses of dead Viet Cong burrow out of the sides of the underground bunker, and slaughter the soldiers. That no hero was allowed to survive rather brought the episode down, as well as the fact that the enemy turned out to be the oft-used concept of "the living dead", but the entire mise en scene rather reminded me of the story of the ingots and their supposed decimation of entire French army units.

Julian Penrod

MrHyde said:
'Vanishing regiment' is a useful, spooky sounding descriptive statement which seems to crop up an awful lot in Forteana, eg, that mystery cloud gubbins (you know, the one they filmed with David Jason).

If that re-enacts the events that supposedly happened in WW1 (where a large group of soldiers marched into a cloud and disappeared), this was very effetcively debunked by Paul Begg in his book 'Into Thin Air'.

One has to wonder if this similar tale is in some way related to this rather tall tale ;)

sounds very like the caterpillar of the Elephant Hawk moth. Kept them as a child. they are big!

Back