• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Inexplicable Small Watcher By The Roadside

Ermintruder

The greatest risk is to risk nothing at all...
Very strange....

Yesterday, early morning in the frozen dark, I was driving on an icy country road. It was much icier and challenging to drive than I'd expected, and my senses/reactions were working overtime.

As I turned slightly to the right, on the roadside standing facing me (and apparently following my movement) was this small...upright....furry...two-legged....totally-disconcerting: small thing. Standing watching me going past.

My first impression was of it (somehow?) being the animated back half of a massive rabbit or hare- but very long-legged, forming a shape like a capital 'A' . And I was very struck by the impression that this whateveritwas seemed to be watching me with utter controlled confidence and/or disdain (I can't explain this aspect fully: but I cannot shake the feeling off).

I was totally-unable to brake or stop (or I would've crashed, without a doubt)- had it been summer I would've done a full emergency stop. I'll estimate maybe around 0.5m in height.

There was no discernable head, from the body, and no perceptable eyes. It definitely had fur/hair, which was paler towards the...'apex' of its outline.

I'm not at all sure of what I saw...I presume it was some kind of visual illusion. Except: it really gave me the weirdest feeling. The movement of it (actual, or impression thereof) was totally-purposeful. Not so much menacing...but somehow insolent?

Very shaken by it. Just makes zero sense.

EDIT1 Not only did it appear to track my driven movement, it seemed to move up & down, a tiny amount. And not affected by my headlights in the least

EDIT2 I wonder if somehow the movement I perceived was similar to this amazing....concavic pseudokineticity effect?

(A small manipulated animal corpse malevolently displayed by a hunter, as a trophy? I am just struggling to find a rational explanation- hence my reductionist propositions)

Last edited:
I'm suffering some cognitive dissonance owing to the apparent conflict between two points in your descriptions:

(1) You did not / could not discern a discriminable head or eye(s), yet ...
(2) You recurrently allude to an impression of its watching you.

An image search (based upon my inner-eye recollection of 'It', coupled with my retrospective impression of there being a distinct 'Captain Cave Man' feel to it) generates this flawed-yet-suggestive picture from Google images (nb my furry blob had no facial features or arms, and the legs seemed the same texture as the body)
gNLxXvAE_210217203833lola.jpg

https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1375755
You recurrently allude to an impression of its watching you.
This was a very-striking effect- from the way it turned, facing me, as I went past. Like sightless targetting. Or: objectively, it gave the strong impression of so doing.

How much of a corner / curve / turn was the rightward course at which you observed this thing?

Using the clock-based horizontal orientation scheme (12:00 = dead ahead; 6:00 = directly behind) ... What was the orientation when you first noticed the thing? And how far (vis a vis the clock analogy) did the thing visibly shift on your (presumably) left / port side as you continued past it?

Did you by chance look for it in either your interior or exterior rear-view mirror? If so, describe what you saw in the mirror.

You mentioned the road being icy. Was it covered with a sheet (however fragmentary) of ice?

Was there snow on the ground?

Was there any precipitation, mist, or fog at the time of the sighting?

Could you readily identify the spot at which this sighting occurred, and have you been back there / passed there since the sighting?

What color was the thing?

Some immediate responses.

I am having difficulty visualising exactly what sort of form you thought you saw: your description takes in an upright hare (with its back to you?), a capital `A` and a Captain Caveman`. That's too many metaphors in one go. Could you be alittle more precise as to the size shape and apparent texture of the object - without making comparisons?

Also what sort of environment did this take place in. Rural? Semirural? Suburban?*

I was immediately reminded of an encounter detailed in one of the Janet and Colin Board Unexplained Mysteries of the World books from the early Eighties. (Sorry I don't have it to hand).

A group of about three 18 year olds were driving in the woods - somehwere in the USA - and passed, on a bend in the road, a sort of troll like thing looking at them. Their desciption of the supposed entity was completely different than yours - in fact it sounded a bit like a hairless cat standing on its haunches to me - but the circumstances of the sighting were very similar indeed. Perhaps somebody with a more encyclopaedic mind than myself can locate this incident.

Then I was also struck by your psychological state during this incident: you were stressed and under duress and perhaps feeling shamed and self-conscious and also in sstate of hypervigilance. In such conditions it could be easy to conjure up something which was observing you and tut tutting all the while...!

*Edit to add: Oh, sorry you did say it was a `country road`. Still that's quite vague. Forested area? Flat or hilly? Etc.

Squirrel? They can sit quite oddly, almost like a meercat, and the grey fur and pale belly could play havoc with your ability to discern 'edges', especially in low light.

I've often found them to give off a vaguely 'antagonistic' vibe too. The grey ones, obviously. I don't know enough red squirrels to speak of.

How much of a corner / curve / turn was the rightward course at which you observed this thing?
Darkness was the main limiting factor, until it suddenly became visible to me, coupled with undulation in the road/the right-hand bend itself.

What was the orientation when you first noticed the thing?
2:00

And how far (vis a vis the clock analogy) did the thing visibly shift
4:00

did the thing visibly shift on your (presumably) left / port side
No- it was to my right, on the right-hand side, with me closest to it effectively in the middle of a narrow country road (almost fully into the wrong lane)

Did you by chance look for it in either your interior or exterior rear-view mirror?
I couldn't- much as I wanted to try. I was too busy controlling the car, plus it was too dark (outwith the beam of my headlights)

Was it covered with a sheet (however fragmentary) of ice?
Yes- reports afterwards were of 'black ice' in the area (a few miles further south I saw at least a couple of crashed vehicles)

Was there any precipitation
None

Could you readily identify the spot at which this sighting occurred
Yes, I think I can (quite accurately)

and have you been back there / passed there since
Not yet- I haven't yet had the chance (but I will return soon)

What color was the thing
Predominantly brown-grey, paler towards the centre, and almost white towards the top (though this may have been exaggerated by my headlights)

Could you be a little more precise as to the size shape and apparent texture of the object - without making comparisons?

It was an inverted vee shape, say 12-18" in height. The legs were distinct, but thickened as they joined the upper 'body', they were the same brown-grey tufted, fur-like surface as the upper larger area. It had no deeper rear aspect - this is important- it was >just< what I was seeing. It was NOT the backside of a small stationary quadruped, it had similar erect relatively-flat proportions of a very-squat mini human body...but with no perceptable arms at all.

It's significant to note a few other factors: I am very (very) used to driving under all road conditions, including the side-forested type of rural area where this happened. I am used to seeing all sorts of wildlife lurking beside/ upon/above the roads I often drive on, including every permutation of roadkill and debris you could ever think of (I currently drive over 2,000 miles a month to/from work, and have done so for years).

Then I was also struck by your psychological state during this incident
I was super-aware: I have to be, lots of the time (especially when driving)- but you're right to note that I deliberately admitted to being in that state in the context of what I saw. Though I genuinely don't think this added to any illusory effect (if that is what it was): I think it just made me see & remember, more effectively, what I saw.

In such conditions it could be easy to conjure up something which was observing you and tut tutting all the while...!
This 'thing' really/truly did seem to move. I do concede that relative movement can be difficult to accurately-interpret (such that it tracking me *could* have been me passing it...and the vertical element of movement *in principle* could've been my bouncing headlight beam....but I am TOTALLY used to all these things. I'm used to accidents, crashes, tree-falls, owls, squirrels, rabbits/hares. Whilst I'd prefer it to have been some weird pareidolia effect, this truly seemed to move in a tensed, controlled and somehow sentient way.

Squirrel? They can sit quite oddly, almost like a meercat, and the grey fur and pale belly could play havoc with your ability to discern 'edges', especially in low light.
A familiar sight, but no. This was (if anything) more rabbit dun/mud coloured, but much more tufted than a rabbit or hare. It wasn't shiny- it seemed purposeful, and horrifically....businesslike.

I do not know what I saw. But it was very off-putting. And I can still see it, in my mind's eye (I might consider a sketch- but my descriptions above really do cover it).

But a final few words. That theatrical thing that people do....like a hyper-masculine legs-braced-akimbo, hands-on-hips, swaying a tiny bit, knees bent, I-own-this-space-and-I-will-break-you....yes. That is what it projected. To the max.

Last edited:
Yesterday, early morning in the frozen dark, I was driving on an icy country road. It was much icier and challenging to drive than I'd expected, and my senses/reactions were working overtime.

As I turned slightly to the right, on the roadside standing facing me (and apparently following my movement) was this small...upright....furry...two-legged....totally-disconcerting: small thing. Standing watching me going past.
This bit's my favourite. Peripheral vision of a hobbit.

A small animal, temporarily on its back legs, but facing away from the road? Or the rear of a young deer, which often have a white hind part, if the rest of the animal was facing away from you, head down?

Just a couple of suggestions before I set-to to furiously think :)

Alternatively, it could have been the hedgerow leprechauns. I used to entertain my young nieces on long drives with tales and faux spottings of them - especially when 'they' were queuing for the 'leprechaun bus' and how the little ones had *just missed* seeing them. perhaps one who'd negelected to trim his/her/its facial hair. I always fancied they might spring into life, tulpa-like....

S

I was immediately reminded of an encounter detailed in one of the Janet and Colin Board Unexplained Mysteries of the World books from the early Eighties. (Sorry I don't have it to hand).

A group of about three 18 year olds were driving in the woods - somehwere in the USA - and passed, on a bend in the road, a sort of troll like thing looking at them. Their desciption of the supposed entity was completely different than yours - in fact it sounded a bit like a hairless cat standing on its haunches to me - but the circumstances of the sighting were very similar indeed. Perhaps somebody with a more encyclopaedic mind than myself can locate this incident.
That sounds like The Dover Demon https://cryptozoologycryptids.fandom.com/wiki/Dover_Demon

Interesting suggestions. The texture was hair/fur-like, but the shape was unlike any normal animal. Think of a toned, skinnier armless/faceless version of Patrick Starfish, from Spongebob Squarepants....

I'm still hoping it was some kind of illusion (due to my movement, and way it appeared, just to me at that extended instant). Here's a flawed attempt to convey the fundamental shape....try to imagine this adaptation of a fairly well-known symbol, but leaner/furry/tensed/animalistic, and it following your movement, as you go past it
2019-11-23 09.08.12.png

I do not know what I saw. at theatrical thing that people do....like a hyper-masculine legs-braced-akimbo, hands-on-hips, swaying a tiny bit, knees bent, I-own-this-space-and-I-will-break-you....yes. That is what it projected. To the max.
That, 'swaying' is certainly reminiscent of one candidate.

Although you have ruled out an owl, if revisited, overall, how close might this be to an explanation...?

A large garden gnome?
No. This was in no way a garden gnome. Shape/texture, moving slightly. Definitely not.

@Comfortably Numb ....I take your point about owls, but I'm completely-familiar with what they look like (honestly...there are lots of genuine reasons why I'm an annoyingly-reliable witness)
Comfortably Numb said:
try to imagine this adaptation of a fairly well-known symbol
It was very-suggestive of that shape- but furry, moving, and appearing to follow my movement

Last edited:
...honestly...there are lots of genuine reasons why I'm an annoyingly-reliable witness.
That's what makes this so intriguing!

A few questions then:

- what was the location?
- what was the environment... country road, surrounded by woodlands, etc?
- was our enigmatic creature on the ground, definitely not perched on something?
- if it moved, how... seemingly walking on two legs, etc.?
- what about facial/head characteristics.... anything striking... what about the ears?
- definitely fur all over?

Thank you in anticipation... :)

Under a hardcore materialistic interpretation (which I'm not claiming to be my conclusion about the incident ) ...

The sole illumination in play came from your car's lights. These illumination sources may have included corner and / or side marker lamps in addition to the headlights.

The motion of your car (both horizontally in moving past and vertically in riding the contours of the road) could well have projected an appearance of movement upon the object owing to:

- the car's motion(s)
- relative motion of secondary reflections / refractions from ice or snow*
- differential refraction on the periphery of your headlight lenses (they're designed to focus their beams forward and not be so bright around the edges / at more oblique angles)
- any shifts in how many of your car's lamps in which relative positions were illuminating the figure at any given instant

(* You didn't answer my question about whether there was snow on the ground)

This is particularly relevant given your answers concerning the horizontal range of viewing orientations (0200 - 0400).

I've no firm opinion on what the figure / object may have been, but I strongly suspect some, if not all, the impression of movement may have been caused by your lights.

Everyone is fixating on the object. But, really, that's the least interesting thing about this incident.

Let's face it - it could have been that, it could have been this. It could have been any damned thing (especially considering the visual conditions which Enola outlined above).

I could have been a tent with a furry rug draped over it. It could have been a kid in a furry coat. It could have been a scarecrow....The OP itself said that his first impression was that of a `massive long -legged` rabbit - and first impressions are sometimes the best.

What's really inreresting - and more Fortean - is the psychological aspect of this all. Ermin repeatedly mentions a sense of being `watched`, `tracked` with `disdain` and and it being `horriically businesslike` and showing teriitorial confidence - and so on. These are odd things to be feeling while doing something as mundane as driving a car. I suspect that it was this subjective accompaniment that made the fleeting sight of an unidentified something (which must happen all the time and get forgotten) so vivid and memorable to the O.P.

It is said that driving a car in the dark can induce a state of near-hypnosis. Perhaps that's a clue to what's going on here.

I think that this isn't crytptozoological so much as psychological - and no less interesing because of that.

... I think that this isn't crytptozoological so much as psychological - and no less interesing because of that.

Agreed ... There was ice or the threat of ice. Any experienced driver knows that anything can happen anytime there's ice. Nothing elevates a responsible driver's stress level like ice.

Back