• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Inherited Custom-Made Bauble

The protuberances - one or two of them, at least, remind me of the knobs you take off a gas-cooker or radio.
You're very close. What you mean is, they remind you of the revealed shafts of rotary controls on domestic appliances & devices once the knobs have been removed.

Such cylindrical shafts were classically cast or machined to have a non-rotation 'flat' (thus forming a 'capital D' in cross-section) so that the push-fit (pull-remove) knobs themselves would rotationally-bear upon the control shafts of gas stove valves/hotplate switches/radio volume & tuning potentiometers.

The spigots on this lovely objet de technologie are more like mechanical keys, in fact the one that has a tiny pawl on its end is very reminiscent of a handcuff key.

Another reminds me of a railway platform glass display cabinet lid locking key.

I also am reminded of ancient mechanical security timeclocks, where the clock was worn by the nightwatchmen, containing therein a chronolithic cardboard disc, whereupon during the routine security patrols captive keys dangling in boxes (think of a slooow predictable orienteering course) would be encountered, and the timeclock spatiovalidatively empressed. Such unsophisticated arrangements existed for eg hotel & ship night-porters, even into the 1980s, representing a quintessential embodiment of neovictorian time&motion managerial monitoring

Last edited:
The protruding parts each seem to have a different profile. There are also cogs around them, suggesting it winds things or opens them? ...

I don't think the bases of the protuberances with their "cog-like" rims are anything but ornamental. I've seen similar little caps with knurled* or beaded rims offered as findings** - metal items intended to serve as components in assembling jewelry and other craft items.

* I'm not sure this is the correct terminology.
** This sense of "finding" is apparently specific to North America, and it is applied to both components / materials as well as tools used in craft or artisan work.

are (not) anything but ornamental
Agreed

with knurled*....* I'm not sure this is the correct terminology
Negative, 'knurled' is a cross-hatched supraficial machining process, to create tactile surfaces for ergonomic utility. The term "finding" could be construed from context, but is not directly-familiar in this sense to non-Americans. These boss end-finishes could almost be called crenellations or toothings.

Last edited:
Junopsis, apologies if this has been covered, but I am looking at this fascinating little thing on a very small screen

Does the supporting link look like it was part of the original design and has it always hung on a chain? It occurs to me that there may have been other spheres or objects that slotted on to the protuberences- it may be part of a compley puzzle.

Or its one of those mystery objects that has the potential to unlock the secrets of the universe.

I reckon the best bet with this thing is to take it to a jeweller/watch repairer and let them prise it apart. I'm sure the hemispheres can be separated.

Sputnik did not resemble a sea-mine, though. Its antennae made it resemble a bald shuttlecock.

I did see one Sputnik Keyfob listed online: it looked like a golf-ball with nuts stuck on, no antennae. :thought:

Bit like it was depicted in the 1595 painting The Glorification of the Eucharist, by Ventura di Archangelo Salimbeni:

PSX_20191111_155046.jpg

I'm only just logging back into my account after a long break but...back briefly to the Masonic connection. Circa 1985 I remember a friend of my grandmother's in her 80s wearing a similar necklace. My grandmother asked her about it as it was so unusual and I clearly remember her laughing and saying "apparently it's for lady masons". They both thought it was funny as somehow the friend had acquired it not knowing what it was and had then been told it was "masonic". Obviously this is a memory from a long time ago and all I remember about this necklace is it was about the same size and shape. I don't remember if it had the sticky out bits. But there are apparently masonic necklaces for women that look a bit like that. EDIT: It stuck in my memory enough that fairly recently I was googling to see if "women's masonic jewellery" was a thing!

Last edited:
Back