• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Initials & Acronyms

jimv1 said:
CarlosTheDJ said:
The TASER acronym is my favourite pub bore fact!

I had to write a lot about them for the work website and that was the only interesting fact I discovered.

There are many more interesting facts out there. For instance... the Japanese have recently developed an artificial nanovagina that measures only one pubic hair across. And it speaks in 7 languages!

It's a doozy alright....not sure how I shoehorn that into an article about coppers using tasers though.....

Funny how taser isn't TASER much any more.....must have laseritits.

The humour in this one, is trans-lingual; but, anyway: the narrow-gauge rail route between Locarno in Switzerland, and Domodossola in Italy, offers by all accounts, a very beautiful 32-mile run. There comes to be for English-speakers, a bit of bathos in that the Swiss part of the line is run by a railway undertaking called (this being the Italian-speaking part of Switzerland), Ferrovie Autolinee Regionali Ticinese: acronym thereof being...

The first SF book I read was Tom Swift And His Giant Robot. I won it in a fancy dress competition when I was eight.

I'm struggling to remember the sci-fi series where the characters had a weapon called a vibrator... it's probably a good job the inventor wasn't a fan of that. :lol:

And back at the plot, External Quality Assessment program doesn't seem too bad when it's written down as EQAP.

Unfortunately, when you've said it enough times it turns into E-Crap.

In Stoke on Trent the local bus company used to be (maybe still is!) Potteries Motor Transport....

I've mentioned it before - when the ITV franchises were all up for tender in the late 90s, Carlton Television very nearly merged with United News Media. They got as far as the altar, basically.

Apocryphally, they had already ordered ream upon ream of stationery with the acronym for their proposed new name - Carlton / United News Television.

Only marginally - I thought it was Transport and it's Traction. :lol:

Miliband has proposed a Parliamentary public question time.
Which is great now that all politicians are shit scared to be accoutable on news 'shows' and send their junior represenatives in like lambkins to the slaughter.

But Now! We can ask politicians... as long as we can can get to London.

How about this as an opener?

Politicians
Redressing
Information
Concerning
Kid abuse.

Local residents groups have eye-catching titles:

Lambs Lane and Ashfield Members Association (LLAMA)

And Diana Close (housing for the over 60s) has

Diana Residents Action Group (DRAG).

(A nod to the Stones' line: "What a drag it is growing old!") 8)

A few years ago our local hospital proposed rebranding the Special Clinic as the Sexual Health and Genito-Urinary Medicine, or SHAGUM, Clinic.

I learned this from a relative who as a hospital insider was sworn to secrecy, but couldn't resist sharing her glee at the story, bless her. :lol:

I work in a large University and our Staff Training and Development unit hasn't ever thought to change their acronym for some reason...

However, the Met Office is hoping for a wind of change in its fortunes with the introduction of ENDGame, a computer that has been ten years in the making and is hoped to be the most accurate yet.

The programme, standing for Even Newer Dynamics for General Atmospheric Modelling of the Environment, boasts that it will be able spot small changes to weather systems coming from the gulfstream and Arctic sea.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/topics/weath ... affes.html

:D

I dont know about anyone else but i find the use of acronyms in articles which then in brackets explain what the acronyn stands for EVERYTIME they use it, very annoying, i can understand explaining it the first time it is used, but why every time, the bbc (british broadcssting corperation lol) red button service seems to do this all the time.

A friend teaches at a Surrey educational establishment whose management announced at the start of one term that they would be changing their name to the Farnham University College of the Creative Arts. In the ten minutes it took them to see the error of their ways, the textile design department (or whatever) had already gleefully produced a stack of sweatshirts.

Another friend works for Public Health England. At one time, the organisation covered the whole of the UK, but it was felt so unwise to make this acronymically clear that staff in the Glasgow office would answer the phone "Public Health England, Scotland?"

Another friend works for Public Health England. At one time, the organisation covered the whole of the UK, but it was felt so unwise to make this acronymically clear that staff in the Glasgow office would answer the phone "Public Health England, Scotland?"
What was wrong with 'Public Health Great Britain'? Wonder why they didn't use that?

What was wrong with 'Public Health Great Britain'? Wonder why they didn't use that?
The boring answer is that England is an area of Great Britain, Great Britain is the entire land mass (England, Scotland, Wales) and the UK is Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

Back