• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Innovations / Advancements Attributed To Nazi Germany

Coastaljames

Justified & Ancient
(This thread was spun off from the Die Glocke / Nazi Bell thread, where it originated as a tangent.)

The Nazis were, in fairness, total bellends.

I know that much.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Nazis were, in fairness, total bellends.

I know that much.

Not at all! People forget all the good that they did. For example:

a) They came up with the concept of “passive smoking”, even naming it passivrauchen, thereby emboldening tutters and finger-waggers decades before the current nagging industry.

b) They introduced raccoons to Europe, thereby ensuring the fortunes of manufacturers of lockable dustbins.

c) Er...you’ll have to give me a few minutes...

maximus otter

a) They came up with the concept of “passive smoking”, even naming it passivrauchen, thereby emboldening tutters and finger-waggers decades before the current nagging industry.

b) They introduced raccoons to Europe, thereby ensuring the fortunes of manufacturers of lockable dustbins.

maximus otter
Hitler was going to build the world's most fabulous trainset. And he did build the first autobahns. I suspect St. Peter will have thrown the very thin document containing his good points in the shredder, however.

A lot of modern medicine advanced quite significantly during the war years, on both sides, but the Nazis used some obviously frowned upon methods for advancing theirs. However their results were not ignored and because of the stuff they did we now have principles in place globally that prevent dubious methods being used on unsuspecting patients. So we can at least thank the Nazis that their practices at the time led to ethical advancements in the long term.

Last edited by a moderator:
And he did build the first autobahns. I suspect St. Peter will have thrown the very thin document containing his good points in the shredder, however.

St. Peter will have him working on the Highway to Hell.

maximus otter
Motorways?

While reading these comments I can't help but see a vision of John Cleese dressed up as revolutionary Ralph from the life of Brian saying...

"And what have the Nazis ever done for us?"

Didn't know that. Thanks. And we in the UK didn't think of our first motorways until the 1950's
We didnt really have enough cars on the road to justify it until after the war, the A1 was perfectly adequate before then.

A lot of modern medicine advanced quite significantly during the war years, on both sides, but the Nazis used some obviously frowned upon methods for advancing theirs. However their results were not ignored and because of the stuff they did we now have principles in place globally that prevent dubious methods being used on unsuspecting patients. So we can at least thank the Nazis that their practices at the time led to ethical advancements in the long term.
Sad, but true ...

For what it's worth, the beneficial outcomes weren't limited to ethics and ethical guidelines.

The data generated by these unethical and horrific experiments was quietly fed forward to inform R&D on safety measures and risk assessment. For example, I stumbled upon hypothermia tolerance / lethality data derived from Nazi concentration camp experiments as recently as the 1990s. That data provided some of the first benchmarks for designing improved clothing and gear for cold weather conditions.

Yeah I was going to go into more detail - there's a lot of related stuff - but realised it wasn't appropriate to put it in the thread we were in at the time.
Thanks for splitting out my post. (or thanks to whichever mod did it)

But if you think Hitler could have possessed Herbie, it does put an interesting twist on the movies.

Back