• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Inside No. 9

Inside No 9: can you find the hidden hare in every episode?

One of TV’s unsung heroes finally gets their moment in the spotlight this week. Yet it’s not a stalwart supporting character or long-serving “background artist” getting their long-awaited chance to move centre-stage. No, it’s a silver statuette of a hare.

Inside No 9 concludes it fourth run on Tuesday with a typically twisty parable titled “Tempting Fate”. It finds three council contractors clearing out the flat of a dead hoarder, where they discover a deadly curse from beyond the grave. The whole devilish tale revolves around the metallic effigy of a hare.

Unbeknown to many viewers, the mysterious long-eared mammal has appeared in all 24 episodes of the comedy-horror anthology. This is the first time it has become a plot point.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/tv/0/cult-inside-no-9-hare/

I am reminded of Kit Williams’ Masquerade.

In the last episode there was a framed picture of a hare hidden amongst the junk. You could only see its ears.

Screen Shot 2018-02-07 at 22.36.58.png

Another brilliant ep. I anticipated it was going to be a prank on the apprentice. Much better ending than I could have guessed. Took me a while to recognise Nigel P. He looks ... well.

To state what I think is the obvious, this last series of Inside No 9 was exceptionally brilliant, and amongst so many outstanding episodes I'm going to say that "Once Removed" was my favourite. "Bernie Clifton's Dressing Room" a very close second. I was intrigued to listen to Alan Davies talking about his experience with the Chuckle Brothers in Bernie Clifton's dressing room...it would be rather satisfying if Reece and/or Steve had heard his story before they wrote their script....or it was just a wonderful comedy coincidence for which I am ever grateful.

Dead Line on 28th October...

A young man where I work was talking to one of his colleagues saying "Room 9, it's like Black Mirror", I piped up with "do you mean Inside No. 9?" and the guy looked startled and asked if I watched it. I explained I had been a fan of the League of Gentlemen since the 90s and love how dark humour has developed since then. At that moment I had never felt older as he looked at me with something of a mix of pity and wonder and asked "who?"

Dead Line on 28th October...

A young man where I work was talking to one of his colleagues saying "Room 9, it's like Black Mirror", I piped up with "do you mean Inside No. 9?" and the guy looked startled and asked if I watched it. I explained I had been a fan of the League of Gentlemen since the 90s and love how dark humour has developed since then. At that moment I had never felt older as he looked at me with something of a mix of pity and wonder and asked "who?"

You should have just smiled and said ‘You’re my wife now’ and left him spooked and befuddled.

By the way, they’ve been repeating Inside No9 on BBC4.

Ooer, a live episode?! Got to give that a go!

I'm currently re-watching all the series on Netflix. These two have really honed their skills over the years and the writing is so tight now, it's amazing what they can cram into just 30 minutes.

The exact same thing happened to me where I work, Rerenny! Except in my case he was vaguely aware of the League of Gentlemen but had somehow never seen any of it! I said that he should probably start with LOG as it was a bit more accessible than Inside No.9! Weirdly, though, he had seen Psychoville but had no idea it was the same people.

Ooer, a live episode?! Got to give that a go!

I'm currently re-watching all the series on Netflix. These two have really honed their skills over the years and the writing is so tight now, it's amazing what they can cram into just 30 minutes.

The exact same thing happened to me where I work, Rerenny! Except in my case he was vaguely aware of the League of Gentlemen but had somehow never seen any of it! I said that he should probably start with LOG as it was a bit more accessible than Inside No.9! Weirdly, though, he had seen Psychoville but had no idea it was the same people.
It is odd when people don't make what seems like an obvious connection. But at least your guy has the awareness, mine is completely oblivious!

One of my favourite things about Psychoville is that Steve Pemberton used a prop from Whitechapel in Psychoville. His character that is into serial killers (David) reads a book about Jack the Ripper and that book is the one given to Joe Chandler (Rupert Penry Jones) by Edward Buchan (Steve Pemberton). It's one of those little things that makes me happy, like noticing the hare in Inside No. 9

And whilst I'm here...
Tonight at 10pm. Inside No. 9 LIVE. Miss it at your peril!!
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0bqn4g3

Great, wasn't it? Such an obvious thing to do, but I'm slightly ashamed to say it caught me off guard. Ooh, they're clever boys. Was that Most Haunted stuff genuine clips? The Tony Wilson stuff must have been. Reminded me of a certain other Halloween special, but they put their own spin on it. A terrific show.

Just brilliant :salute:

Although I wonder how many people changed channels after the second 'interval'....

It was brilliant, but I couldn't really watch it as I am a scardypants. Mind you, I couldnt really watch Ghostwatch either for the same reason. I have it recorded and will watch properly later on in the week...

Edited, because I can't type :(

Last edited:
It definitely needs a second or third watch, just to check for little details.
I nearly missed the 'alterations' to the Quiet Night In footage, and I'm sure there were plenty of other throwaway moments.
I especially love the way they set up the final headcam footage right from the outset, in a way that was ridiculously obvious ... but only in hindsight

Gah! Missed it as I was ill in bed with a horrible cold. Shall have to catch up when I've regained my faculties. Judging from reactions here I suspect I'll need them! :D

Just been reading how -

They lost a fifth of their viewers when the repeat episode started. And the live tweet, brilliant. I'd have been happy to watch an episode about Arthur Flitwick and a missing phone but that was just excellent as usual.

It was so confusing!
but then familiarity with the writers said "hold on...is this a part of it?" The tweeting was genius
And truly brilliant: the references, the influences, the audacity. Love that the BBC is so supportive of the show, It might be easy to say "ah, obvious because...." but like with all apparently obvious or supposedly simple art or music - they thought of it and made it when no-one else had.

I watched it again (and again) on iPlayer and I was still squeaking, gasping, and hiding my eyes. IF you haven't watched Dead Line, watch it. If you haven't watched any Inside No. 9, do so immediately. Just don't confuse Inside No. 9 with Black Mirror...they know!

I loved the bit when Stephanie Cole was on the phone and said something along the lines of "I'm doing Inside no. 9...no, I hadn't (heard of it) either..." :clap:

The whole thing was very, very clever indeed. Loved it!

A bit more light onto the complexity of Dead Line. This is Christian Henson who scored the programme, live...

iPlayer now includes the continuity announcer's introduction to the episode. This addition (that the producer, Adam Tandy, was negotiating with the BBC to include) helps to cement the breaks in the actual broadcast. I hope this bit is included in any blu-ray release in the future.

Back