• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Inside No. 9

Ooer, a live episode?! Got to give that a go!

I'm currently re-watching all the series on Netflix. These two have really honed their skills over the years and the writing is so tight now, it's amazing what they can cram into just 30 minutes.

The exact same thing happened to me where I work, Rerenny! Except in my case he was vaguely aware of the League of Gentlemen but had somehow never seen any of it! I said that he should probably start with LOG as it was a bit more accessible than Inside No.9! Weirdly, though, he had seen Psychoville but had no idea it was the same people.
Netflx doesn't have series four...it is, I think, fair to say that series four is exceptional. Reece and Steve are incapable of writing boring stuff, they just get better and better. Series four was pure genius, Dead Line blows minds, what the heck does series five have in store??

I whizzed through this thread having never seen any "Inside No9". Rushed off an watched the live Halloween one and loved every unsettling moment.

Figured out how to get into daughters Netflix account and watched the first two- what warped brilliance!

Can't wait for weekend when family are all away when I can gorge on a couple more

^ Haaa. much like my own intro to their brilliance ... almost as if by consequence alone, they impacted me synaptically. Yes, they promote neologisms.

Long live the 9ers.

Just watched my first 'Inside Number 9'. It was entertaining enough and I'd watch another.

It was the one about the 17th C. witch-trial. It does strike me as an odd subject for comedy though, especially given the often serious tone of the play. I wonder how many years have to go by before atrocities can be taken so lightly?

The 'twist' at the end was rather predictable.

Anyway, I'm not knocking it; just musing.

They’ve just repeated ‘The Devil of Christmas’ episode tonight. I loved it before and I love it even more now.
The little details they pick apart themselves. The Hare on a table of ornaments, the in-jokes, the bitchy gossip about other actors, the ‘Northern’ approach to TV props with the labels still on the bottom of the glasses. Knocked over furniture out of shot. Apart from the fact this was shot on old original kit, the attention to detail to make this hang togther in terms of dialogue is deliciously fine-tuned and while the plot style may mislead the casual viewer, it leads to a brilliant finale.

Even though it’s a year old, I still won’t spoil it for those yet to see it.

Inside No 9: Dead Line is available on Amazon Prime...complete with the BBC continuity announcement at the start

Enjoy?

OK, I thought last night's would be a challenge because I know so little about football - but the twist was so priceless even I got it! The implications were brilliant. The new series has hit the ground running.

Inside No 9.

What an absolute load of cobblers. A total waste of half an hour of my life.

What a shame! Maybe you need a low opinion of football to laugh? Or a high one?

I've watched a few episodes and really enjoyed it, Reece Shearsmith and Steve Pemberton are a fantastic team!

On an unrelated note, I watched some of the BBC series Flowers recently, with the brilliant Julian Barratt. This is on Netflix too and worth trying out if you like Inside No. 9.

I got the feeling last night's was one for the fans, a sequel to Psychoville, kind of. They obviously wanted to wrap those characters up with a proper send-off, and they certainly did. Funny, but a bit self-indulgent.

I was really disappointed again with this week's episode. However, if I'd seen Psychoville (and I'm really not clear how I have managed to miss this), I would have probably thought it was genius.

Last episode was amazing
Seconded. Memorable, very kitsch (cleverly-conventional at the start), and so extreme as to be self-certifiably harmless. Loved it.

It outleagues The League of Gentlemen, with which it feels to be almost co-canonic. It has shades of 'Five Go Mad...', more than a touch of 'Tales of the Unexpected', and a smidgen of 'Bad Education' (my flawed impressions)

I was really disappointed again with this week's episode
Now this perspective intrigues me. I'm totally-new to this series & the format, and I could not fault it, in any way. Storyline, half-hour trajectory, characterisations, overall atmosphere, scenery, haircut....what on earth made it fail for you?

This week's reminded me of a Play for Today, liked the way it was subtly set in the 1980s (the choice of song at the end was a giveaway). No jokes, really, but it did show they are just as good at drama. Big difference from last week's! I suppose we read between the lines about the car incident, etc.

This week's reminded me of a Play for Today, liked the way it was subtly set in the 1980s (the choice of song at the end was a giveaway). No jokes, really, but it did show they are just as good at drama. Big difference from last week's! I suppose we read between the lines about the car incident, etc.

I did really enjoy last nights episode...

not sure how I feel about the ambiguity of the car incident. I like a bit of vagueness but this seemed a little too subtle.

I thought maybe it was the uncle/brother as he was sorting the car repairs out but my partner listened to the podcast this morning and said they stated it was the mum. I didn't see that coming, but maybe a re-watch would help out.

There was a lot going on, and Inside No 9 is great for all the little things you miss the first time round.

I can only agree! Is the podcast worth it, would you say?

I've pretty consistently loved this show, but I really didn't get last week's episode. I've never seen the other show referenced, so maybe that's what was lacking. This week's episode had some lovely moments, and great performances, but the reveal fell a bit flat for me. I think the previous high standard has inflated my expectations, I was waiting for something more. Of course, I'm not saying each show needs a twist, but it seemed a bit tacked on. Maybe *that* was the twist! Anyhoo, I think they can probably afford a couple of duff ones in a season (the psychoville fans can safely dismiss my opinion here).

I did enjoy the football one though.

Liked references to Wayne Dobson and Geoffrey Durham - someone's quite the connoisseur! Slightly disappointed it was tech-related (no spoilers), but wasn't it set up well?

Liked references to Wayne Dobson and Geoffrey Durham - someone's quite the connoisseur! Slightly disappointed it was tech-related (no spoilers), but wasn't it set up well?
Given the title of the episode, "Misdirection", I suspect that I might need to see it again to follow every nuance. Very enjoyable, but I was left with the impression that I had missed several important clues.

But then, that's the whole point, I guess!

Wondered what had happened to Wayne Dobson - oh no - poor guy has MS.

Back