• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Inside No. 9

We've just seen the Ninth Circle one. I spotted the twists right away which is unusual for me. :chuckle:

Kept hearing the first few bars of Kraftwerk's The Model in the background, what that about then?

Yeah I thought the music sounded like a slowed-down version of The Model! Definitely a very similar melody.

Thought I'd worked out last night's, until it went all Parallax View! Some big laughs, too.

Listened to this week's podcast and I was right about The Parallax View... they also mentioned another cult movie as an influence, which I'll put in spoiler tags because it's not as well known and deserves to be seen unspoilered:

Arlington Road!

Every week I have my TV set to record inside no9. I’m assuming it’s the BBC that does the record time details for the programme so it’s incredibly annoying that it starts on the end of Motherland, then they show a series of trailers for some other shitty comedy vehicles they’re desperately trying to push. This means Inside No9 overruns and the recording stops JUST before the twist at the end. Every time. Fair boils my piss I can tell you.

Every week I have my TV set to record inside no9. I’m assuming it’s the BBC that does the record time details for the programme so it’s incredibly annoying that it starts on the end of Motherland, then they show a series of trailers for some other shitty comedy vehicles they’re desperately trying to push. This means Inside No9 overruns and the recording stops JUST before the twist at the end. Every time. Fair boils my piss I can tell you.
I set ours too but last night's edition just failed for some reason.

S'pose you could call that a twist.

Best episode of this series, last night, really funny and properly macabre. According to the podcast, it was inspired by an actual lady in a bathrobe holding a glass of champagne who claimed it was her birthday when they were using her house as a green room for location filming. They thought she was too good not to inspire them.

I watched it live and can confirm it started at half nine on the dot and finished at 21:59, so maybe a tech problem?

We watch everything BBC on the iPlayer, no chance of missing the end. Of course, you could not notice the expiry date and miss the last episode of a series. That's quite a twist.

Last night's episode was great, was that the first time someone has played themself?

I realised about half-way through that the episode was scripted, shot and edited exactly like the ITV dramas that the cast were creating in the show. Very meta and very clever.

Is there nothing they can't turn their hand to?

I had to jump straight onto iPlayer last night to see the missing ending! Usually I add a minute or two on my Virgin box though.

Last night's episode was great, was that the first time someone has played themself?

Heh, they played a version of themselves as totally egomaniacal. :chuckle:

Actors love to do this. You have to remind yourself they're still acting. ;)

That HBO series I love so much has 'actual' guest appearances and they're always monsters.

We watch everything BBC on the iPlayer, no chance of missing the end. Of course, you could not notice the expiry date and miss the last episode of a series. That's quite a twist.

I realised about half-way through that the episode was scripted, shot and edited exactly like the ITV dramas that the cast were creating in the show. Very meta and very clever.

Is there nothing they can't turn their hand to?
I liked the mention of The Hollow Crown as I did 5 days Extra work at Alnwick Castle back in 2015....happy days.

I had to jump straight onto iPlayer last night to see the missing ending! Usually I add a minute or two on my Virgin box though.

That's strange - I usually use a 10 year old DVR to record programmes and haven't had any problems with stuff cutting off recently (BBC or C4). Mind you, I watch things live when convenient, like last Monday.

I didn't expect that twist last night, mainly because it was out of the blue. Although listening to the podcast, it seems I missed a bunch clues (names, wallpaper, etc).

The tangerine choking story was true, happened to Shearsmith at school, except the boy didn't die, he just sicked it up and was fine seconds later. It was so bizarre, because he could so easily have died before his schoolmates' eyes - but didn't and everyone continued as if nothing had happened.

Inside No. 9 is almost unbelievably brilliant, and it is my dream show. The writing, acting, directing, music. Everybody works so well together to create an unique piece of TV theatre. I used to imagine how satisfying it would be to have worked on something, and then, at the end, have the Doctor Who theme added, a proof that you did good. Now I think that for Inside No. 9.

Winning BAFTAs is so fab, but they, both of them, all of them, deserve so much more. Bless the BBC for sticking with it; that's old fashioned Auntie Beeb, and precisely what I pay the fee for. That and the Sky at Night.

No favourites, however, 12 Days of Christine was my first (Jesus!) and I will never forget the physical sorrow I felt watching that, but Tom & Gerri is the one I watch the most, it's pathologically frightening. La Couchette is the one I think about when I can't sleep. Not sure if because I want to sleep with Mark Benton, Reece Shearsmith, Jack Whitehall, and/or Steve Pemberton, or just 'cos I like trains (preferably without, you know...). To Have and To Hold...I love Nicola Walker, so was very excited to watch that episode, but it ended with irrational behaviour on my part: I don't have coat hooks on the back on any door because of Thomas Hardy. I don't eat Pot Noodle because of Steve Pemberton.

Inside No. 9 is almost unbelievably brilliant, and it is my dream show. The writing, acting, directing, music. Everybody works so well together to create an unique piece of TV theatre. I used to imagine how satisfying it would be to have worked on something, and then, at the end, have the Doctor Who theme added, a proof that you did good. Now I think that for Inside No. 9.

Winning BAFTAs is so fab, but they, both of them, all of them, deserve so much more. Bless the BBC for sticking with it; that's old fashioned Auntie Beeb, and precisely what I pay the fee for. That and the Sky at Night.

No favourites, however, 12 Days of Christine was my first (Jesus!) and I will never forget the physical sorrow I felt watching that, but Tom & Gerri is the one I watch the most, it's pathologically frightening. La Couchette is the one I think about when I can't sleep. Not sure if because I want to sleep with Mark Benton, Reece Shearsmith, Jack Whitehall, and/or Steve Pemberton, or just 'cos I like trains (preferably without, you know...). To Have and To Hold...I love Nicola Walker, so was very excited to watch that episode, but it ended with irrational behaviour on my part: I don't have coat hooks on the back on any door because of Thomas Hardy. I don't eat Pot Noodle because of Steve Pemberton.
I'm the same hear as would love to be part of a small dream show unit as I used to do supporting artist work i.e. Extra's and "Hurry Up and Wait" is just like it for Extras who get a line and think they are actors.
Also done scenes on Vera with Steve Pemberton and he came across as a bit ignorant and was terrible at remembering his lines but Tom Hardy was polite when I did Taboo.

Oh, I'm a bit sad to hear that Steve wasn't great, but was he in Vera? He was in Midsomer Murders. Lewis. Marple. Death in Paradise, etc., etc.,, but I can't recall him in Vera; you'll have to remind me which episode. I do think of him as a clever man, or at least organised, and the one that keeps Reece focused. And I always cheer when I see him in other shows, but coming over nicely on TV isn't the same as being pleasant in real life.

By the by, I love Vera. I hope that it was a good show to work on. I can't act to save my life, and I'd be wooden as a supporting artist, so I appreciate the work you guys do. I would, however, kill to write anything for Inside No. 9, or Vera, or Doctor Who, or, especially, Midsomer Murders, mainly "what the fandango is that owl doing?"

Oh, I'm a bit sad to hear that Steve wasn't great, but was he in Vera? He was in Midsomer Murders. Lewis. Marple. Death in Paradise, etc., etc.,, but I can't recall him in Vera; you'll have to remind me which episode. I do think of him as a clever man, or at least organised, and the one that keeps Reece focused. And I always cheer when I see him in other shows, but coming over nicely on TV isn't the same as being pleasant in real life.

By the by, I love Vera. I hope that it was a good show to work on. I can't act to save my life, and I'd be wooden as a supporting artist, so I appreciate the work you guys do. I would, however, kill to write anything for Inside No. 9, or Vera, or Doctor Who, or, especially, Midsomer Murders, mainly "what the fandango is that owl doing?"
My apologies I feel such a Wally as I'm meant Mark Gatiss from League of Gentlemen :oops::oops::oops::oops:

Well, that was a nutty way to end the series, you can't say they're not imaginative. According to the podcast, they do like the Last Night of the Proms, they just didn't like the extreme polarisation it breeds, and they wanted to mix it up with the words of Jerusalem. This episode took ten months to film, half pre-pandemic, half during. There were only five days of actual shooting!

When the entire box set is available for streaming, it's a bit meaningless to refer to "this week's episode" or "last night's twist".

FWIT, I felt the last couple of series were rather overproduced but short of ideas. The Stakeout and Wuthering Heist in particular were dull as ditch water.

Agree with @Rerenny that 12 Days of Christine, from series 2, was possibly the best ever episode.

Loved the Proms one and as another poster but even the bad ones are still better then some of the tripe you get on Tv today.

Back