• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Interesting Picture?

Stormkhan

Disturbingly familiar
This picture was taken by me in 2001 on my digital camera. It was of the gatehouse of Carisbroke Castle on the Isle of Wight.
Naturally enough, nothing was seen at the time but when I previewed the picture and downloaded it onto my laptop, a strange "column" or strip of light cut through the picture.
The sun was quite stong and about 45 degrees to the right of the camera lens - so it might be some form of flare.

I find it odd, since there's an obvious break to the column.

Any ideas or comments?

It looks like a hair, flare or something...It dosn't strike me as particulerly strange I'm afraid :(

RE: The last photo - I've not got long hair at the front, so it'd be unlikely a stray one of mine. Nevertheless, it might've been a loose one of my missus. Never mind, I'll keep trying ...

How about this then?

Taken in a huge hanger-type warehouse, late in the afternoon. Chilly, damp and in the middle of the countryside (up near Stratford-upon-Avon).

While I think it's merely some form of condensation mist - even though it wasn't visible to the naked eye - it's a good example of something looking like a ghostly presence and making the viewer "see" images in the randomness.
I make no claims to it being a ghost photo.

The second one looks good. The first one, I agree, it appears to be some kind of flare or reflection.

Just out of interest, why were you taking a photo of the warehouse? It's just that sometimes, when someone posts a 'ghost' photo (or a "isn't this werid" photo) I wonder why they've decided to arbitrarily take a picture of a wall, a book case, a shelf, a kitchen etc. It sort of makes me think that it's a set up.

Not that I'm suggesting yours is, by the way!!!

I mean, I've got photos of my attic, simply because a) I don't do attics; and b) t'Other Half has an extensive Star Wars collection stored up there, and he wanted me to see just how much room it takes up. :D So if something odd had appeared on those photos, and I'd put them on here or something, I'm sure somebody somewhere would have thought to themselves. "Why would anyone take photos of an attic?".

Stormkhan said:
- it's a good example of something looking like a ghostly presence and making the viewer "see" images in the randomness.
I make no claims to it being a ghost photo.

Most of the 'ghost' photos that get posted are a lot less convincing than that.

Don't know what anyone else can see, but there's a vampire bat's head in there.

It's the same type of phenomenon as seeing pictures in clouds, I've had a flying pig and a dragon in the last couple of weeks.
Anyone remember what the term for this trick is?

Simulacra?

This was when my company were storing pallets of stock "off-site" in this warehouse. Since it was the first delivery of these bulk items, the management wanted photos taken to show them the facilities, arrangements of pallets etc. Out of about 20 photos, four came up with the "mist" effect, including one where the daylight outside could be seen.

Whoa! I can see a face in the last pic, and re-viewing the second one, it looks like the face is forming ....

Was anyone smoking in the vicinity?

Call that a ghost photo! Not a single orb to be seen! :p

Carole

The second one is part of the grin of the Cheshire Cat. You can see its, chin its mouth and part of its nose, but the rest of the head is outside the picture.

Timble said:
The second one is part of the grin of the Cheshire Cat. You can see its, chin its mouth and part of its nose, but the rest of the head is outside the picture.

I thought it looked like Krusty The Klown ...

The fun of these thing is what different people see in them.

I can see the C Cat, but not K the Clown . . .

Carole

The first one looks like someone was smoking, the other one looks like exhaust from a truck in the loading bay.

But when these anomalies occur on digital photos, why is the question so often asked: 'Is this a Ghost?' I'm no expert photographer by any means, but there must be several other, more likely, explanations.

Carole

It's a Death's Head, grinning at us... knowing we're going to meet one day.

Pete Younger said:
The first one looks like someone was smoking, the other one looks like exhaust from a truck in the loading bay.

No one had been smoking in the area; there was just myself and our merchandise manager there ... and neither of us smoke.
In the second, the truck was stationary with it's engine off for about an hour. We'd been unloading the container on the back with the forklift you can see but that was battery-powered.
I'd always assumed it was some form of water vapour since it was a chilly (but sunny) day and we were surrounded by muddy wet fields. Perhaps it was battery vapour from the forklift but from my experience with them, if you can see battery vapour then you can smell it ... and you look for the cause fast!

I must say that I assume there's a mundane explanation to the pictures and I'd like to know what. I wouldn't be too upset, however, if they turned out to be some form of spook picture.

Back