• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Interstellar Objects (ISOs) Visiting Our Solar System

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Newly published research provides an initial estimate for how many ISOs enter our solar system each year. They figure seven such objects arrive annually.
Scientists Reveal How Many Interstellar Objects May Be Visiting Our Solar System

In October 19th, 2017, the first interstellar object ever detected flew past Earth on its way out of the Solar System. Less than two years later, a second object was detected, an easily-identified interstellar comet designated as 2I/Borisov.

The appearance of these two objects verified earlier theoretical work that concluded that interstellar objects (ISOs) regularly enter our Solar System.

The question of how often this happens has been the subject of considerable research since then. According to a new study led by researchers from the Initiative for Interstellar Studies (i4is), roughly seven ISOs enter our Solar System every year and follow predictable orbits while they are here.

This research could allow us to send a spacecraft to rendezvous with one of these objects in the near future. ...

FULL STORY: https://www.sciencealert.com/around...solar-system-every-year-suggests-new-analysis

Bibliographic Details & Abstract: https://arxiv.org/abs/2103.03289
(Full article can be downloaded from this webpage.)

Avi Loeb, Harvard Astrophysicist, says he is not backing down.

Avi claims that UFOs should be a top concern.

Avi claims that in 2017 should have been a wake up call for planet earth as Oumuamua broke all the rules like speeding up and slowing down, then speeding up again.

Avi claims no vapor trails came from Oumuamua.

I had one brief conversation with Avi Loeb on this subject; he pointed out that we only saw 'Oumuamua by chance because it approached near to the Sun. But this chance event gives us an opportunity to estimate how many similar interstellar objects might be expected to be present in the entire Solar System, including objects far from the Sun; Loeb estimated that there should be billions.

'Oumuamua was a very strangely shaped object, and if all the other hypothetical interstellar objects in our Solar System and elsewhere are equally strange, then we might start to wonder if they are all debris from a fantastically advanced and ancient civilisation.

Since 'Oumuamua was travelling very slowly, at a similar velocity to the Sun and all the other stars, that probably means it has been travelling for millions of years; if it is typical ancient technological debris, it is probably very old indeed. There may have been a thriving galactic culture out there millions of years ago, and this is all that remains.

I struggled to find a place to put this latest embarrassing smack down for Loeb. One of my skeptical friends said UFOlogy is a circus and Loeb has been driving one of the clown cars. I have to agree.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/11/...e_code=1.b00.RZE_.fkgv_f70r_hp&smid=url-share

Surprise: An ‘Extraterrestrial’ Gadget Was Something More Familiar​

In 2014 a fireball from outer space was posited to be an alien artifact. A recent study suggests otherwise.
In January of 2014, a meteor fell from space off the coast of Papua New Guinea. That might have been the end of it, but several years later Avi Loeb, a theoretical astrophysicist at Harvard, drew on seismic data from near the site, looked for crash remains on the ocean floor and proposed that the remains “may reflect an extraterrestrial technological origin.”
In 2014, a meteor entered the atmosphere and went “bang.” Sometimes, you hear these meteors on seismometers. Avi Loeb wrote a paper to say that he’d found the seismic signal from this meteor and that he’d used it to locate exactly where the meteor debris fell. And from that, they mounted an expedition and picked stuff up off the sea floor.

In one paper, Dr. Loeb and a co-author wrote that they “confirmed the fireball location” in the ocean from “the timing of the strong seismic signal.” But you’ve determined that the seismic information wasn’t coming from a meteor. What do you think it was coming from?

A truck.

As in, a hyperspeed alien truck?

No, it was an ordinary truck, like a normal truck driving past a seismometer. Not being seismologists, the Loeb team may have misunderstood the data. In reality, all they did was find a truck.
--------

I have some experience with this. A truck, especially going over a bridge, will regularly register on a seismograph that is set up to record quarry/mine blasts. Those who look at these on a regular basis absolutely see and disregard that kind of background noise; it's so common. Loeb is ridiculous.

I struggled to find a place to put this latest embarrassing smack down for Loeb. One of my skeptical friends said UFOlogy is a circus and Loeb has been driving one of the clown cars. I have to agree.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/11/...e_code=1.b00.RZE_.fkgv_f70r_hp&smid=url-share

In 2014 a fireball from outer space was posited to be an alien artifact. A recent study suggests otherwise.
In January of 2014, a meteor fell from space off the coast of Papua New Guinea. That might have been the end of it, but several years later Avi Loeb, a theoretical astrophysicist at Harvard, drew on seismic data from near the site, looked for crash remains on the ocean floor and proposed that the remains “may reflect an extraterrestrial technological origin.”
In 2014, a meteor entered the atmosphere and went “bang.” Sometimes, you hear these meteors on seismometers. Avi Loeb wrote a paper to say that he’d found the seismic signal from this meteor and that he’d used it to locate exactly where the meteor debris fell. And from that, they mounted an expedition and picked stuff up off the sea floor.

In one paper, Dr. Loeb and a co-author wrote that they “confirmed the fireball location” in the ocean from “the timing of the strong seismic signal.” But you’ve determined that the seismic information wasn’t coming from a meteor. What do you think it was coming from?

A truck.

No, it was an ordinary truck, like a normal truck driving past a seismometer. Not being seismologists, the Loeb team may have misunderstood the data. In reality, all they did was find a truck.
--------

I have some experience with this. A truck, especially going over a bridge, will regularly register on a seismograph that is set up to record quarry/mine blasts. Those who look at these on a regular basis absolutely see and disregard that kind of background noise; it's so common. Loeb is ridiculous.

Hmm, in Star Trek Voyager they found a truck in space.

The 37's (episode)​

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/The_37's_(episode)
that-time-when-we-found-a-car-floating-in-space-168656-7.jpg

Don't forget The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy had a Ford Prefect in space. (Yes, I know!)

A truck.

--------

This sort of thing seems to happen so often with Fortean subjects. Someone has a theory about an incident which, by itself, ir reasonable if unproven. They then seem compelled to find other examples to prove their theory which seem to get increasingly weaker or more woo and end up making their original idea seem ridiculous and put others off seriously considering the idea.

Oumuamua may be an alien artifact - it is certainly odd. Funding a microprobe or something to catch up with it and film it would be, I'd say, worthwhile whatever it is. Having a probe ready to launch should a similar event occur would also be worthwhile. Theorising that the Oort Cloud or Kuiper Belt may be likely places to find other such captured objects is reasonable. Imagining that one will impact Earth in such a small time frame after Oumuamua seems to be stretching things and weakening his arguments; especially when this research is done badly.

The same has happened with:
Ancient astronauts - nothing wrong with the theory but every ancient artifact being touted as Alien influenced has lost the whole idea any credence.
Missing 411 I think (Others won't agree) that Paulides has found a few genuinely odd cases but has now included so many that the idea has become too woo for any serious research.

There are lots more examples I'm sure - I'm beginning to suspect it is a conspiracy to discredit serious research into Fortean subjects.

Back